Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Jarvis Jones

Legend

User Info Menu

Jarvis Jones

Don't look now but the Steelers #1 pick has been invisible for the better half of the last game and a half. And it is likely as I suspected that he simply lacks the strength to bullrush or overpower the olineman. His game in college was all about speed, but in the NFL it takes more than that. Not worried, because strength is something that can be gained over time. But he likely will only have success against the slower-footed LTs in the league.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

People compare him a lot to Sizzle, but I never hear him compared to a fellow UGA alum--David Pollack. Pollack ended up being a bust, but there are a lot of similarities:
    -Both were highly productive in the SEC
    -Both had perceived physical limitations (Pollack was a bit short, Jones too slow)
    -Both had neck issues (though I don't believe Pollack's were apparent)

I'm not saying he's Pollack, but just adding some context to your comment. The thing with Jones that people must realize: He is NOT the "beat your man straight up" type of guy that you'd like to have (e.g. Aldon Smith). That is really not his game.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I'm happy with jarvis to this point.

he has been a beast on STs which is an early marker of great LBs in pittsburgh.

more concerning to me is the ILB cashing checks for 10 million per who has been remarkably average to this point.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Y'all need to chill out. It's been four games. JJ will be a beast.... Freaking over critical nancys.

Starter

User Info Menu

Pretty sure people were thinking he wasn't even going to get playing time this early in the season. Give him a break
    1. CB – Marcus Peters – Washington – 6/190
    2. OG – Josue Matias – Florida State – 6-6/320
    3. OLB – Geneo Grissom – Oklahoma – 6-4/250
    4. DL – Ellis McCarthy – UCLA – 6-5/330
    5. TE – Jeff Heurman – Ohio State – 6-5/255
    6. FS – Adrian Amos – Penn State – 6/200
    7. DT – Terry Williams – East Carolina – 6-1/340

UDFA
    DB – Justin Cox – Mississippi St. – 6-2/190
    OLB – Davis Tull – Chattanooga – 6-2/242

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Don't look now but the Steelers #1 pick has been invisible for the better half of the last game and a half. And it is likely as I suspected that he simply lacks the strength to bullrush or overpower the olineman. His game in college was all about speed, but in the NFL it takes more than that. Not worried, because strength is something that can be gained over time. But he likely will only have success against the slower-footed LTs in the league.
    Well he beat out JW in no time flat. Can you recall another Steeler LB who moved into the starting lineup so quickly? I would hold judgement on this for a while.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AzStillers1989 View Post
    Y'all need to chill out. It's been four games. JJ will be a beast.... Freaking over critical nancys.
    Learn how to read. I didn't say he is a bust. In fact, I have high hopes for him and think he will be a good player for us soon. I'm just pointing out what I see: He's not someone who can just line up and whip guys straight up. He's more an opportunistic, scheme type guy who brings intangibles to the position (e.g. Joey Porter).

Legend

User Info Menu

Like there is enough to complain about so lets find something new and pick on the rook

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Iron City Inc. View Post
    Well he beat out JW in no time flat. Can you recall another Steeler LB who moved into the starting lineup so quickly? I would hold judgement on this for a while.
    He is starting as a rookie because we missed badly on the JW pick...

JJ has been productive on special teams, but lets be honest...he hasn't sniffed the QB all year. He has 1 QB pressure in 4 games.

He will need to gain strength and work on technique to be a productive OLB in the NFL.

Let's just hope that happens...I know I am rooting for him!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Tough to get pressure on the opposing QB when they 3 step drop you frequently to take advantage of our DBs playing off the LOS.