Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is something wrong with the D?

Starter

User Info Menu

Is something wrong with the D?

Not really sure there is, but anyway here are some stats from nfl.com to mull over.

Rushing D is giving up 122.8 ypg that is 29th in the league.

Teams have rushed 129 times that is the most of any team.

Meanwhile, teams have only passed 120 times. Only 3 other teams have been passed on less. [Interesting. Teams prefer to win with the run]

Pass D is giving up 199.0 ypg that is 6th best in the league.

Teams are converting 3rd downs 38% of the time. That is 18th best in the league. [Not so good should be able to improve that easily]

Stats sometimes are just meaningless #'s on a page. But not always.

In the 1st game vs Ten they clinched the game with a 49yd drive. Just about every play was a run. It ate the clock and the TD put the game just about out of reach. I worried that this could be real bad news for the future. Hopefully, it won't be.

While everyone has their head in the sand and the missing run D is not being discussed I have no idea.

But despite all this negative evidence, the future to me looks bright. Now I know, this sounds like I am making Koolaid drinkers sound like a doom and gloomers, but the reason is simple. In both the rush D and the Pass D the team is ranked competitively in the avg yards per play in both categories. Rush 3.8 10th best. Pass 6.8 10th best

But for some reason the D line is carrying that occupy blockers crap to extreme proportions. I must have read that a thousand times. It is of course true so the LB's are free to make the tackles. But never before, that I can remember, has the D line never even made any attempt to at least penetrate somewhat to neutralize the other O line. I don't get it. Can anyone explain? This is killing the team.

Legend

User Info Menu

You mean besides they can't cover, tackle, create turnovers,pressure the Quarterback, or stop the run. No why do you ask?

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Yes, there is. The system is old and tired and everyone has seen it. With it giving you no edge, and being tougher to draft for, its time to move on to the 4-3 which every DL we have is more suited to play in, and its easier to evaluate apples to apples when looking if college kids can play positions, then looking at apples to oranges and trying to decipher whether or not they can convert to a different system.
    @_Hellgrammite

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Who needs to stop the run? Everybody knows this is a passing league.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I think the vet players believe more in the system & DL than they do in execution. That line of thinking worked when you had pieces together for a long time. All the new young bodies have depleted that margin for error. If they get back to execution...The problems will disappear. However....At 0-4 and with a possible 2-6 on the horizon..."Point of No Return" will set in fast.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Other teams have run the ball so much because they have been playing with a lead...turnovers by the offense have allowed the opponents to dominate in ToP and keep the defense out on the field...not so much in the last game, but certainly in the first three...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Same predictable 10yd cushion, let the WR catch then tackle, don't get beat DL defense have been exploited.
    [url=http://img525.imageshack.us/i/steelers2010.jpg/]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2...eelers2010.jpg[/url]

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Other teams have run the ball so much because they have been playing with a lead...turnovers by the offense have allowed the opponents to dominate in ToP and keep the defense out on the field...not so much in the last game, but certainly in the first three...
    TN ran it down our throats...

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    TN ran it down our throats...
    By the end of the game, after they had the ball for well over 30 minutes of game time, it sure seemed that way...

Shockingly, they averaged less than 3 yards per rush...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    By the end of the game, after they had the ball for well over 30 minutes of game time, it sure seemed that way...

Shockingly, they averaged less than 3 yards per rush...
    that 10 or 11 play for their first TD didn't have any passes.

I don't care about the YPC.. I care about our inability to stop a team when we know they are running the ball.