Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Good read Cowher V's Tomlin

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Good read Cowher V's Tomlin

[url]http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2013/10/7/4808418/steelers-head-coach-mike-tomlin-history-hot-seat-bill-cowher[/url]
    [url=http://img525.imageshack.us/i/steelers2010.jpg/]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2...eelers2010.jpg[/url]

Rookie

User Info Menu

I posted something very similar and was pooh-poohed...

But, apparently, I'm not the only one to observe this...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Me and you both have been debating this. And a surprising fact that I found. Through 4 games the Steelers have only 18 penalties the least for the team since 2006, so obviously they ain't that terrible in not being prepared like some argue.

Administrator

User Info Menu

It's not simply about inheriting the players . It's the continuous sloppy play and questionable "in game" coaching decisions. It's being prepared to play.... some players look confused. It seems like Tomlin is the dumbest coach & the smartest coach (if that makes sense) at the same time. I think he needs to stop overthinking some things and use some common sense. I think there is clearly a lack of leadership especially from a player standpoint.

It's the fact that over 7 years, very few of the "replacements" developed. The ones that are starters, you'd have to question their quality of play. Even 1st round picks (Heyward, Hood) aren't producing at Hoke, Aaron Smith (tough to match), Kemo levels. Look at our depth across the team.... ts depleted. I remember the days when you could tell guys were going to be beasts when given the opportunity to play on a full time basis. You can't have 1st round picks across the board. At some point, you have to develop your team.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    It's not simply about inheriting the players . It's the continuous sloppy play and questionable "in game" coaching decisions. It's being prepared to play.... some players look confused. It seems like Tomlin is the dumbest coach & the smartest coach (if that makes sense) at the same time. I think he needs to stop overthinking some things and use some common sense. I think there is clearly a lack of leadership especially from a player standpoint.

It's the fact that over 7 years, very few of the "replacements" developed. The ones that are starters, you'd have to question their quality of play. Even 1st round picks (Heyward, Hood) aren't producing at Hoke, Aaron Smith (tough to match), Kemo levels. Look at our depth across the team.... ts depleted. I remember the days when you could tell guys were going to be beasts when given the opportunity to play on a full time basis. You can't have 1st round picks across the board. At some point, you have to develop your team.
    How did Aaron SMith, Hoke and Kemo look like there first 3 years in the league? No snark.. serious question. I know they were drafted higher than our vets and that should also be used when evaluating them.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steelhere10 View Post
    Me and you both have been debating this. And a surprising fact that I found. Through 4 games the Steelers have only 18 penalties the least for the team since 2006, so obviously they ain't that terrible in not being prepared like some argue.
    Penalties is a small portion of that.

Backup

User Info Menu

It's another BS article from the same group. I've posted this before but here it goes again:

Again, Cowher had 3 players (one of which missed the entire SB season) and a couple of offensive players. 99% of which would be gone by this time in Tomlin's tenure. Cowher restocked the entire defense but those guys. Tomlin didn't restock anything. He had almost the EXACT same team as the SB team under Cowher. He replaced 3 people. Cowher replaced 8 just on the defense. The SB team of 95 was NOT stocked with Noll's talent. It just wasn't. 5 players no matter how good they are doesn't represent a full cupboard.

Just to see how silly this is here is the starting lineup for the 95 SB:

O'Donnell: Rookie in Noll's last year.
    Pegram- FA picked up by Cowher
    Williams- FA picked up by Cowher
    Mills- Rookie during Noll's last season. Had 3 receptions.
    Thigpen- Noll
    Bruener- Cowher
    Jackson- Noll
    Newberry- FA picked up by Cowher
    Dawson- Noll
    Stai- Cowher
    Searcy- Cowher
    Buckner- Cowher
    Steed- Cowher
    Seals- FA by Cowher
    Greene- FA by Cowher
    Kirkland- Cowher
    Brown- Cowher
    Lloyd- Noll
    Williams- Cowher
    Lake- Noll
    Bell- Cowher
    Perry- Cowher

Woodson played some in the SB but was lost for the entire year. So 7 players, 2 of whom were rookies in Noll's last year, are the great "cupboard" that was left Cowher? Tomlin had 8 in his 5th year just on defense ALONE. Sorry, I don't see how anyone can say Cowher was left with a lot of talent. He had 3 really good defensive players and a couple of good OL. He had to replace 3 OL, ALL the RBs, ALL the DL, ALL but one of the LBers, and most of the CBs. It isn't even close to what Tomlin had.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    How did Aaron SMith, Hoke and Kemo look like there first 3 years in the league? No snark.. serious question. I know they were drafted higher than our vets and that should also be used when evaluating them.
    That's another problem. 1st round picks shouldn't take 3 to 4 years to "develop". It's one thing if it takes 3 years for a good player to become a great player/playmaker. Timmons is another example.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    That's another problem. 1st round picks shouldn't take 3 to 4 years to "develop". It's one thing if it takes 3 years for a good player to become a great player/playmaker. Timmons is another example.
    maybe it's the scheme? We draft players and break them down and build them back up instead of letting them come in and do what made them attractive in college.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    maybe it's the scheme? We draft players and break them down and build them back up instead of letting them come in and do what made them attractive in college.
    No... It has nothing to do with the 3-4 scheme and it's not just the defense either.

For some reason, the only position that we've had success developing is WR.