Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 52

Thread: Jarvis Jones

  1. #41
    Back to the JJ discussion...

    I don't think anyone is calling JJ a bust at this point. People should be able to discuss aspects of a players game (both good and bad) without being labeled a hater or the assumption of being a bust. Some of you need to chill...

    I also don't think that people are forgetting that football is a team sport or that rushing the QB is a 1 man job. Obviously the play of the of the DL, the play of the LBs and the play of the DBs (10 yard custion, etc) have an impact on the play of the positions individually as well as the defense collectively...but it still comes down to each man doing their job.

    Let's take some of the theories why JJ has under-performed when rushing the QB. The DL is not playing well enough to collapse the pocket in the middle resulting in the QB stepping up to elude the outside rush...I am sure that this happens at times and is a viable argument. However wouldn't we have to assume that this issue would have an impact on both the left and right side?

    QB Hurries / Pressures through 4 games - Stats from PFF (for whatever its worth)

    Woodley - 10 Hurries and 3 Sacks
    JJ - 1 Hurry and 0 sacks
    Worilds - I dont recall exactly (2 or 3 hurries and no sacks)

    JJ was drafted to pressure the QB...plain and simple. Up to this point he has not being doing that. I don't even recall a sack in the preseason. He is a young player and will get better with time...but right now he is not getting it done in this category regardless of the play from other units on the Defense.

  2. #42
    Rookie noitall0605's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Wyoming
    Posts
    32
    With Steelers draft history= doesnt look good. I never liked the pick. The cat that mentioned him being similar to David Pollack is spot on. Other news Mingo (know he was gone before our pick) looked impressive for Browns. Just chaulk it up to the scouting dept.

  3. #43
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    N.Y.
    Posts
    2,050
    Hard to sack the QB when he gets rid of the ball in under 3 seconds.

  4. #44
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,830
    JJ didn't play that much vs TN. Not sure what people expected from JJ 3 games into his career. He's been all over the field on ST's and he is starting to get to the QB... I wouldn't be surprised if he breaks out in a few weeks. The idea of instant splash plays on this D with this years talent is unrealistic.

  5. #45
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,830
    Quote Originally Posted by steelfin View Post
    Back to the JJ discussion...

    I don't think anyone is calling JJ a bust at this point. People should be able to discuss aspects of a players game (both good and bad) without being labeled a hater or the assumption of being a bust. Some of you need to chill...

    I also don't think that people are forgetting that football is a team sport or that rushing the QB is a 1 man job. Obviously the play of the of the DL, the play of the LBs and the play of the DBs (10 yard custion, etc) have an impact on the play of the positions individually as well as the defense collectively...but it still comes down to each man doing their job.

    Let's take some of the theories why JJ has under-performed when rushing the QB. The DL is not playing well enough to collapse the pocket in the middle resulting in the QB stepping up to elude the outside rush...I am sure that this happens at times and is a viable argument. However wouldn't we have to assume that this issue would have an impact on both the left and right side?

    QB Hurries / Pressures through 4 games - Stats from PFF (for whatever its worth)

    Woodley - 10 Hurries and 3 Sacks
    JJ - 1 Hurry and 0 sacks
    Worilds - I dont recall exactly (2 or 3 hurries and no sacks)

    JJ was drafted to pressure the QB...plain and simple. Up to this point he has not being doing that. I don't even recall a sack in the preseason. He is a young player and will get better with time...but right now he is not getting it done in this category regardless of the play from other units on the Defense.
    A rookie not getting it done 3 games into his career in a Lebeau defense? Wow... I'm shocked.

  6. #46
    Legend
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Inside Your Head
    Posts
    10,389
    Quote Originally Posted by steelfin View Post

    QB Hurries / Pressures through 4 games - Stats from PFF (for whatever its worth)

    Woodley - 10 Hurries and 3 Sacks
    JJ - 1 Hurry and 0 sacks
    .
    This makes sense from what I've seen. Woodley's the one getting there and missing out on sacks because there's so much room in the pocket. I can't remember a play where JJ has sniffed the QB. Do they have pressure stats for the DLine? I'd be interested in seeing those.

  7. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    A rookie not getting it done 3 games into his career in a Lebeau defense? Wow... I'm shocked.

    Technically it is 4 games...I wish we were only 0-3...

    Rushing the passer is rushing the passer...I don't think it has much to do we the complex DL system...Either speed rush and get the edge, bull rush, or use some moves to pressure...stuff I am sure JJ has been doing for many years now.

    It is interesting that you bring up rookies in the DL scheme...I don't recall which camp you were in but many are critical of DL not playing rookies or younger guys. Now that we play them we blame his complex defensive system for their lack of production...I don't think we can have it both ways...

  8. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    This makes sense from what I've seen. Woodley's the one getting there and missing out on sacks because there's so much room in the pocket. I can't remember a play where JJ has sniffed the QB. Do they have pressure stats for the DLine? I'd be interested in seeing those.
    Flip - I will see if I can dig them up. I do recall that Keisel leads the team in QB hurries with 15 and has 1 sack. I don't remember how many for Cam or McClendon but I know they had more than JJ. Cam is used on sub-packages specifically to rush the passer and supposedly McClendon is pulled out of the game on passing downs...Interesting.

    Let me just throw this out...I have no facts just a possible theory...What if we are playing more 1 gap on the DL to compensate for our lack of pressure from the OLs? The DL pick a side and pressure the QB. Perhaps it is leading to more QB hurries on passing downs but opening large running lanes at the same time...I don't know...just a thought. I recall someone saying the DL was going to play a more attack style defense this year to help get pressure instead of the standard occupying blockers in a 2 gap system...
    Last edited by steelfin; 10-05-2013 at 01:25 PM.

  9. #49
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,830
    Quote Originally Posted by steelfin View Post
    Technically it is 4 games...I wish we were only 0-3...

    Rushing the passer is rushing the passer...I don't think it has much to do we the complex DL system...Either speed rush and get the edge, bull rush, or use some moves to pressure...stuff I am sure JJ has been doing for many years now.

    It is interesting that you bring up rookies in the DL scheme...I don't recall which camp you were in but many are critical of DL not playing rookies or younger guys. Now that we play them we blame his complex defensive system for their lack of production...I don't think we can have it both ways...
    Jones didn't start the first game and barely saw the field.

    Many were critical of DL not playing rookies over old vets... but I dont't think anyone expected instant impact from rookies. The whole idea of playing rookies early is so they can get comfortable with our scheme in real time during their rookie contract instead of sitting behind vets with the same talent. In years past Worlids would still be on the field... however, I dont think any Steeler fan with knowledge of this D expects a rookie to play early and have 2 or 3 sacks, a few FF and an INT in his first 3 games.

    Let the kid get comfortable before calling him out...

  10. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Jones didn't start the first game and barely saw the field.

    Many were critical of DL not playing rookies over old vets... but I dont't think anyone expected instant impact from rookies. The whole idea of playing rookies early is so they can get comfortable with our scheme in real time during their rookie contract instead of sitting behind vets with the same talent. In years past Worlids would still be on the field... however, I dont think any Steeler fan with knowledge of this D expects a rookie to play early and have 2 or 3 sacks, a few FF and an INT in his first 3 games.

    Let the kid get comfortable before calling him out...
    I don't totally disagree with what you are saying...however I never called him out for not having 2 or 3 sacks, a few FF and an INT in his first 3.5 games. I am only pointing out that he has 1 QB hurry and 0 sacks in his first 3.5 - 4 games. Not what I would expect from our number 1 pick that was brought in to rush the passer. 1 QB hurry is sad to say the least...

    Hopefully he gets comfortable (as you say) and starts to make an impact as the season progresses.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •