Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Jarvis Jones

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Legend

User Info Menu

Jarvis Jones

Don't look now but the Steelers #1 pick has been invisible for the better half of the last game and a half. And it is likely as I suspected that he simply lacks the strength to bullrush or overpower the olineman. His game in college was all about speed, but in the NFL it takes more than that. Not worried, because strength is something that can be gained over time. But he likely will only have success against the slower-footed LTs in the league.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

People compare him a lot to Sizzle, but I never hear him compared to a fellow UGA alum--David Pollack. Pollack ended up being a bust, but there are a lot of similarities:
    -Both were highly productive in the SEC
    -Both had perceived physical limitations (Pollack was a bit short, Jones too slow)
    -Both had neck issues (though I don't believe Pollack's were apparent)

I'm not saying he's Pollack, but just adding some context to your comment. The thing with Jones that people must realize: He is NOT the "beat your man straight up" type of guy that you'd like to have (e.g. Aldon Smith). That is really not his game.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I'm happy with jarvis to this point.

he has been a beast on STs which is an early marker of great LBs in pittsburgh.

more concerning to me is the ILB cashing checks for 10 million per who has been remarkably average to this point.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    I'm happy with jarvis to this point.

he has been a beast on STs which is an early marker of great LBs in pittsburgh.

more concerning to me is the ILB cashing checks for 10 million per who has been remarkably average to this point.
    I agree with both.

Most of the Steelers great OLBers initially made their mark on special teams, which Jones is doing. Jones needs to add more strength, but I think he has been fine so far and will continue to get better.

As for Timmons, I think you are giving him a compliment by describing him as average. He hasn't made an impact rushing the passer, in coverage or in the run game. But hey, for a former first round pick with a $10 million salary, what do you expect?

Chadman's point is well taken - Timmons is often being mauled by OGs who are free, since McClendon is easily blocked with one guy. But, shouldn't we expect Timmons to shed a block, just once? On almost every rushing TD this year, it seems like Timmons is getting blown backwards by a blocker.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    I agree with both.

Most of the Steelers great OLBers initially made their mark on special teams, which Jones is doing. Jones needs to add more strength, but I think he has been fine so far and will continue to get better.

As for Timmons, I think you are giving him a compliment by describing him as average. He hasn't made an impact rushing the passer, in coverage or in the run game. But hey, for a former first round pick with a $10 million salary, what do you expect?

Chadman's point is well taken - Timmons is often being mauled by OGs who are free, since McClendon is easily blocked with one guy. But, shouldn't we expect Timmons to shed a block, just once? On almost every rushing TD this year, it seems like Timmons is getting blown backwards by a blocker.
    Philly--I'm sure you did detailed case preparation for this trial and already knew that Timmons is second on the team with 28 tackles (21 solo and 7 assited/Clark has one more at 29) and he has 3 passes defensed which is second to the Ike Taylor's team leading 4. So essentially you can tell he is being asked to drop into coverage alot and he is being successful doing that. Kind of tough to be dominant at the LOS if you are being asked to drop into coverage.

However, this really isn't about what is really going on but about the 7 year "grudge" against Timmons. But why let facts get in the way of what fans "look and feel"
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Philly--I'm sure you did detailed case preparation for this trial and already knew that Timmons is second on the team with 28 tackles (21 solo and 7 assited/Clark has one more at 29) and he has 3 passes defensed which is second to the Ike Taylor's team leading 4. So essentially you can tell he is being asked to drop into coverage alot and he is being successful doing that. Kind of tough to be dominant at the LOS if you are being asked to drop into coverage.

However, this really isn't about what is really going on but about the 7 year "grudge" against Timmons. But why let facts get in the way of what fans "look and feel"
    Ovi, Timmons is a MLB. He can't help but occassionally run into a tackle. Foote had plenty of tackles last year, yet you and others dumped on him.

It's not a seven year grudge. Timmons has a huge contract. For the salary he is making, he should be in the all pro conversation annually. Remind me, how many pro bowls has he even made?

Tell me, how many times has he come up on a big stick on the goalline? Conversely, how many times has he been seen going backwards when a rushing TD is scored? How many times has he failed to get off a block while a RB gashes the middle?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    Ovi, Timmons is a MLB. He can't help but occassionally run into a tackle. Foote had plenty of tackles last year, yet you and others dumped on him.

It's not a seven year grudge. Timmons has a huge contract. For the salary he is making, he should be in the all pro conversation annually. Remind me, how many pro bowls has he even made?

Tell me, how many times has he come up on a big stick on the goalline? Conversely, how many times has he been seen going backwards when a rushing TD is scored? How many times has he failed to get off a block while a RB gashes the middle?

A MLB who is being asked to drop into coverage to help the secondary because he has a unique skillset that allows him to run with an defend pass catchers.

I'm curious what percentage of tackles does Patrick Willis just happen to "stumble into" becasue he is a MLB? Posluzny? Sean Lee? Pretty much all the MLBs that everyone fawns over not named Timmons. Let's be honest, even after leading the team in tackles, sacks and INTs last year Timmons will never do enough for some fans to acknowledge he is a very good player and has been for us for awahile. There is a small group of fans who just never liked the pick and so they repost each other crticisms ad nauseum no matter what the facts prove to be true.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Y'all need to chill out. It's been four games. JJ will be a beast.... Freaking over critical nancys.

Starter

User Info Menu

Pretty sure people were thinking he wasn't even going to get playing time this early in the season. Give him a break
    1. CB – Marcus Peters – Washington – 6/190
    2. OG – Josue Matias – Florida State – 6-6/320
    3. OLB – Geneo Grissom – Oklahoma – 6-4/250
    4. DL – Ellis McCarthy – UCLA – 6-5/330
    5. TE – Jeff Heurman – Ohio State – 6-5/255
    6. FS – Adrian Amos – Penn State – 6/200
    7. DT – Terry Williams – East Carolina – 6-1/340

UDFA
    DB – Justin Cox – Mississippi St. – 6-2/190
    OLB – Davis Tull – Chattanooga – 6-2/242

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AzStillers1989 View Post
    Y'all need to chill out. It's been four games. JJ will be a beast.... Freaking over critical nancys.
    Learn how to read. I didn't say he is a bust. In fact, I have high hopes for him and think he will be a good player for us soon. I'm just pointing out what I see: He's not someone who can just line up and whip guys straight up. He's more an opportunistic, scheme type guy who brings intangibles to the position (e.g. Joey Porter).