Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Jarvis Jones

Legend

User Info Menu

If rushing the QB was simply a 1 man job, JJ could stand some critisism for not having sacked the QB yet.

However, if you all go back & watch the tape on him so far you'll see numerous occasions where he's closing on the QB, only to see the QB step forward into the non-existant pass rush from the DL.

If there was some kind of pressure in the middle (you know, where McLendon is a pass rushing beast..), then both Jones & Woodley would have added a few more sacks to the stats already.

Pass rushing is a team effort, however it seems it's become a 2 man job only in Pittsburgh.

As for Eddie's concerns about Timmons, again, go watch the tape. He's facing blocks from OG's who are running down field because both Hood & McLendon are about as useful as a birth control pill in the Octomom's house.

This lack of impact from the LB's is what happens when 3-4 DL can't occupy the blockers.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    If rushing the QB was simply a 1 man job, JJ could stand some critisism for not having sacked the QB yet.

However, if you all go back & watch the tape on him so far you'll see numerous occasions where he's closing on the QB, only to see the QB step forward into the non-existant pass rush from the DL.

If there was some kind of pressure in the middle (you know, where McLendon is a pass rushing beast..), then both Jones & Woodley would have added a few more sacks to the stats already.

Pass rushing is a team effort, however it seems it's become a 2 man job only in Pittsburgh.

As for Eddie's concerns about Timmons, again, go watch the tape. He's facing blocks from OG's who are running down field because both Hood & McLendon are about as useful as a birth control pill in the Octomom's house.

This lack of impact from the LB's is what happens when 3-4 DL can't occupy the blockers.
    +1 Well reasoned argument; and thus it will be ignored. Such arguments are known as "thread killers" lol

People forget that Football is a team sport and that game plans are predicated on each individual doing his job ... when that doesn't happen to a greater degree rather than a lesser degree, the whole unit suffers. You want to know why no interceptions ... look at pass rush/sacks ... you want to know why so few sacks, look at each LBer and Dlineman ... you'll see that McClendon isn't getting it done and neither is Hood .. this means the QBs have options that shouldn't be there ... and they are being paid too .. so they are taking those options .. thus less sacks/interceptions.

Rookie

User Info Menu

okay, wow.

Heres some things to consider.

OUR DBs are playing 10 yards off, guys like Matt Cassell, (Casell... are smart enough ) to just throw it quickly, no time for a pass rush, free yardage.

IF we pressed we would have a better pass rush.

Another thing, Disregard the pass rushing, thats the LAST thing to worry about on your OLB. Hes been close and the pocket is not being collapsed by the DL.

For instance, take Barkevious Mingo, has 3 sacks

Difference? Mingos sacks are coming from the DL forcing the QB to flush the QB, back and out. Not forward and able to make a pass.

2. Mingo is only being able to rush the QB, it shows his past two starts. He is TERRIBLE against the run, and against the pass.

Give Jarvis all the **** you want, Jarvis can stop the ****ing run, despite his size hes stopping the run.

Mingo allowed the HUGE CJ spiller run today, by not having his contain.

There is so much more to this that just Jarvis.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

sorry.

timmons paychecks far outweigh his performance to date. Then we learn that he can't be burdened to call the defense in his 7th year. Enough excuses, go make some plays.

agree that mclendon has sucked.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

wow. look, I understand the frustration with this team and the season - but to write off a rookie 1st round pick after 4 games?

one word for y'all.

bustamalu
    2014 MNF EXEC CHAMPION!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelBuckeye View Post
    +1 Well reasoned argument; and thus it will be ignored. Such arguments are known as "thread killers" lol

People forget that Football is a team sport and that game plans are predicated on each individual doing his job ... when that doesn't happen to a greater degree rather than a lesser degree, the whole unit suffers. You want to know why no interceptions ... look at pass rush/sacks ... you want to know why so few sacks, look at each LBer and Dlineman ... you'll see that McClendon isn't getting it done and neither is Hood .. this means the QBs have options that shouldn't be there ... and they are being paid too .. so they are taking those options .. thus less sacks/interceptions.
    Thanks mate. Similar argument can be put forward for the failings of Mike Adams, but 90% of the board would rather brand him as crap & be done with it.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Legend

User Info Menu

This is absolutely the case for Woodley. He looks good off the edge thus far. But I'm not seeing the same from JJ as a pass rusher. It looks to me like JJ needs some strength.

On a positive, he seems to be fighting thru blocks to make plays on ball carriers and seems to have a little James Harrison in him against the run already which is not common for most 3-4 OLBs. I think he looks a lot like Timmons on the outside and I've started wondering if we could improve the D by moving JJ inside and putting Worilds on the outside. Worilds in his limited snaps looks to me to be a better pass rusher right now.

The biggest positive of JJ thus far is his play on ST. That alone tells me he's gonna work his way into being a great football player in time just like Keisel and Harrison before him with their stellar ST play.

Legend

User Info Menu

Thanks mate. Similar argument can be put forward for the failings of Mike Adams, but 90% of the board would rather brand him as crap & be done with it.
    I'd love to hear the pro Adams argument. I just can't see it. I can see the case for guys like JJ, Williams, Gilbert, etc. learning their positions. But with Adams he's getting beat mentally and physically.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I was one who wasn't excited about the pick but I have seen enough on the field not to pass judgment in a negative direction. He has some flaws he can play through and they should disappear with coaching & experience. His playing strength will get better with the off seasons as long as he is dedicated. His instincts are still evident even at this speed. JJ has missed by my count at least 2 sacks on speed rush. The coaching staff will teach him counters to that and he will be more effective as his playing strength increases. JJ has shown he is very good from the neck up so the arrow will continue to point up on him as he logs snaps. I will be the first to say "I Knew it!" but there hasn't been anything JJ has done on the field over the first 4 games to even think about that.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

"But with Adams he's getting beat mentally and physically." That is the argument Flip...."Mentally". "Paralysis by analysis." If you have to think...You can't just play. As one of my coaches always said..."Free you mind & your A$$ will follow." No margin for error at this level. The question is will he ever get there. Throw the playbook out and the pre snap reads & calls. For 3 seconds as an edge protector in the NFL...You are go over a "How to" manual in your head. Let's just say Adams right now is a slow reader. If he doesn't fix that...He will never realize his physical gifts. That story has been told since a football fell from the sky. Football is 80% mental...40% physical. Plain & Simple. That is why great athletes don't always make football players. Being a good football player makes you a great athlete.
    Last edited by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY; 10-04-2013 at 08:55 AM.