Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: OT Taylor Lewan our 2014 Draft Pick at #9

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    Yep...and there has been talk that like Montana when he was at Notre Dame, who threw the ball on average of about 15 passes a game, McCarron has not really been groomed as a passer. Or at least they haven't maximized his grow potential.
    The one thing that would concern me about AJ is he doesn't have the big arm and it would concern me how well his game will translate to the next level because of it. He seems like a smart, accurate playmaker at QB. But I'd worry he could end up being a Jon Kitna at the next level. And I don't think Kitna's a bad player. He just never had the arm to threaten the whole field making it nearly impossible for him to have success.

I can see why people like his college performances, but I can also see why people have questions about him as a pro.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Dee, I agree with you. Sometimes I worry about Felt. We may need to schedule an intervention or something.
    McCarren is the real deal. The guy can throw the ball.
    The real deal in college...

Alabama is a run first run often team and the play action and OL make it very comfortable for AJ to throw the football...

I'm not impressed.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    The one thing that would concern me about AJ is he doesn't have the big arm and it would concern me how well his game will translate to the next level because of it. He seems like a smart, accurate playmaker at QB. But I'd worry he could end up being a Jon Kitna at the next level. And I don't think Kitna's a bad player. He just never had the arm to threaten the whole field making it nearly impossible for him to have success.

I can see why people like his college performances, but I can also see why people have questions about him as a pro.
    I would take him in a heartbeat to be on an Alabama team with a ton of talent... but in Pittsburgh? Behind our OL? Heeeeeeeeeell no!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post

Ya know you are the first one I have heard say they have concerns about A.J. McCarron's arm strength. What I've seen and heard, is the opposite. Here is a great article on A.J. McCarron. I would suggest some of you who have the wrong impression about him read this.

Watching the coaches' tape of the performance, I was most impressed with McCarron's poise and steady hand as the leader of the offense. He never appeared rattled despite facing difficult circumstances in the opening quarter. He magnificently guided the Crimson Tide to their first touchdown by stringing together a series of completions on variety of quick-rhythm throws, including Y-sticks, comebacks and quick fades. In fact, McCarron's 22-yard strike to Kevin Norwood ([URL="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVDGA7FUPbk&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]about 25 seconds into this video[/URL]) on a back-shoulder fade showcased his pinpoint accuracy and superb timing. Additionally, he displayed tremendous arm strength and touch on a 44-yard bomb to DeAndrew White on a flea-flicker that helped the Crimson Tide even up the game in the second quarter.

[URL]http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000246328/article/scouts-take-stock-way-up-for-aj-mccarron-johnny-manziel[/URL]
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I would like season tickets next to AJ McCarron's mom, so I could hug her tightly on big plays, and console her on bad ones.
    @_Hellgrammite

Rookie

User Info Menu

I'm not worried about McCarron's arm...

Kyle Boller had a big arm...

JaMarcus Russell had one of the strongest arms ever....

How did that work out?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    I'm not worried about McCarron's arm...

Kyle Boller had a big arm...

JaMarcus Russell had one of the strongest arms ever....

How did that work out?
    AJ is a system QB, a game manager... I think he is a Flacco knock off without the big arm.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    Ya know you are the first one I have heard say they have concerns about A.J. McCarron's arm strength. What I've seen and heard, is the opposite. Here is a great article on A.J. McCarron. I would suggest some of you who have the wrong impression about him read this.

Watching the coaches' tape of the performance, I was most impressed with McCarron's poise and steady hand as the leader of the offense. He never appeared rattled despite facing difficult circumstances in the opening quarter. He magnificently guided the Crimson Tide to their first touchdown by stringing together a series of completions on variety of quick-rhythm throws, including Y-sticks, comebacks and quick fades. In fact, McCarron's 22-yard strike to Kevin Norwood ([URL="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVDGA7FUPbk&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]about 25 seconds into this video[/URL]) on a back-shoulder fade showcased his pinpoint accuracy and superb timing. Additionally, he displayed tremendous arm strength and touch on a 44-yard bomb to DeAndrew White on a flea-flicker that helped the Crimson Tide even up the game in the second quarter.

[URL]http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000246328/article/scouts-take-stock-way-up-for-aj-mccarron-johnny-manziel[/URL]
    Johnny Manziel is a beast...

Legend

User Info Menu

I like Manziel better than any QB in this draft from a talent perspective.
    Trolls are people too.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    I like Manziel better than any QB in this draft from a talent perspective.
    I can see the kid flaming out big time. He's gotta be on the coke.
    Here comes the BOOM!