Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: OT Taylor Lewan our 2014 Draft Pick at #9

Legend

User Info Menu

I'm on board with Bruce Matthews' kid at this early juncture.

Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Rookie

User Info Menu

When I get a few more posts you'll find that I'm a draft nerd. That being said, I've never played/coached/been involved with football outside of being a fan. My observations are based off watching some games but mostly evaluating what other more qualified people have to say about prospects. For me, I'm a Steelers fan who loves the draft so there's never a bad time to talk about it.

So, Lewan vs. Matthews.

If we have the luxury of choosing between the two, this season has not gotten any better. Matthews is a plus technician with awesome feet and movement skills. Can handle speed rushers and will be good in the run game. Lewan is a mountain of a man who will dominate in the run game, toss aside bull-rushes, and hold his own against speed. Here's an excellent write-up comparing the two: [url]http://firstroundgrade.com/2013/07/18/tale-of-the-tape-taylor-lewan-vs-jake-matthews/[/url]

For me, it comes down for what you want. Matthews is a guy who is going to excell at his job, knock you down, get back to the huddle and do his job again. Lewan is going to do his job, knock you down, push your face in the dirt, whisper a few sweet nothings in your ear, then go back to the huddle to get ready to knock you down again. He's a bad man. To me, Matthews is DeCastro as a tackle. Awesome technique, a bit lacking in the nasty. Lewan is all nasty.

With a 240lb RB, a call from the top for a better run game, and a quarterback who thrives on play-action an is able to step up and away when those speed-rushers beat the OT wide, I will take Lewan and his nasty all day long.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    no doubt...and we all know we aren't drafting an LT in the first round next year.
    You believe the Steelers will pass on an elite blind side tackle? Ok. Only way that happens is if our new LT is better than advertised.
    Trolls are people too.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Lewan, Pouncey and Decastro would be a great 3/5 of an offensive line

Legend

User Info Menu

picking 32nd, baby!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Lewan sounds good to me.

Shawn--I think the kid from Alabama is being projected more as a Right Tackle at the next level.
    Ok, I found it.

Kouandjio is light on his feet, flexible, has broad shoulders and his arms are both long and strong. His weight is evenly distributed over his frame and he reportedly has just 16 percent body fat, an impressive number for any offensive lineman. He is quick off the snap and has the lateral agility to slide left to right.
    Kouandjio uses his athleticism in pass protection well but he's even more impressive as a run blocker, consistently out-quicking defenders to create lanes. Perhaps most impressive -- considering his relative lack of experience -- is that Kouandjio plays at different speeds well. He shows very good patience in pass protection but can fire off the ball when needed, as well.

Physically speaking, Kouandjio has everything scouts are looking for in a potential Pro Bowl left tackle, which is why he universally ranked as the elite prep lineman when signing with Alabama in 2010.

He redshirted, then played in eight games in 2011 before a knee injury ended his first season of action in Tuscaloosa early.

His undeniable upside convinced Alabama to move the ultra-reliable Barrett Jones inside to center after he had earned All-SEC and the Outland Trophy at left tackle in 2011. Though he wasn't named to the all-conference team in his first season at the so-called blind-side position, Kouandjio demonstrated the talent to earn this distinction in the future.

Regardless of when he elects to make himself eligible to the NFL, Kouandjio will be highly regarded. Frankly, he has at least as impressive a skill-set as his former linemate D.J. Fluker, who the Chargers took 11th overall in 2013.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Ok, I found it.

Kouandjio is light on his feet, flexible, has broad shoulders and his arms are both long and strong. His weight is evenly distributed over his frame and he reportedly has just 16 percent body fat, an impressive number for any offensive lineman. He is quick off the snap and has the lateral agility to slide left to right.
    Kouandjio uses his athleticism in pass protection well but he's even more impressive as a run blocker, consistently out-quicking defenders to create lanes. Perhaps most impressive -- considering his relative lack of experience -- is that Kouandjio plays at different speeds well. He shows very good patience in pass protection but can fire off the ball when needed, as well.

Physically speaking, Kouandjio has everything scouts are looking for in a potential Pro Bowl left tackle, which is why he universally ranked as the elite prep lineman when signing with Alabama in 2010.

He redshirted, then played in eight games in 2011 before a knee injury ended his first season of action in Tuscaloosa early.

His undeniable upside convinced Alabama to move the ultra-reliable Barrett Jones inside to center after he had earned All-SEC and the Outland Trophy at left tackle in 2011. Though he wasn't named to the all-conference team in his first season at the so-called blind-side position, Kouandjio demonstrated the talent to earn this distinction in the future.

Regardless of when he elects to make himself eligible to the NFL, Kouandjio will be highly regarded. Frankly, he has at least as impressive a skill-set as his former linemate D.J. Fluker, who the Chargers took 11th overall in 2013.
    Thanks. May have some good options
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

How about this instead?

#3 ----------------Jake Matthews OT Texas A & M
    #9 (from Arizona)---Louis Nix Jr. NT Notre Dame
    #35----------------Khalil Mack OLB Buffalo
    #41 (from Arizona)--A.J. McCarron QB Alabama
    #67----------------Donte Moncrief WR Ole Miss
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    How about this instead?

#3 ----------------Jake Matthews OT Texas A & M
    #9 (from Arizona)---Louis Nix Jr. NT Notre Dame
    #35----------------Khalil Mack OLB Buffalo
    #41 (from Arizona)--A.J. McCarron QB Alabama
    #67----------------Donte Moncrief WR Ole Miss

Let me guess, you want to trade Ben to Arizona for 1st & 2nd round picks?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

That's just plain dumb. I agreed with you during the last draft regarding Teo (by the way- he's starting at ILB in SD) etc, but I won't agree with trading Ben.
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion