Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: OT Taylor Lewan our 2014 Draft Pick at #9

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

How is it that every year Dub finds a way to trade everyone for a couple of draft picks?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelerkeylargo View Post
    Let me guess, you want to trade Ben to Arizona for 1st & 2nd round picks?
    I think in this next off season this would be in the best interested of the Pittsburgh Steelers. I am a huge Ben Roethlisberger fan. But I am a bigger Pittsburgh Steelers fan.

And who knows? Maybe the Steelers can get the Cardinals to throw in CB Patrick Peterson???
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by birtikidis View Post
    How is it that every year Dub finds a way to trade everyone for a couple of draft picks?
    Everyone? Seriously? Just one player. We are talking about a possible Herschel Walker return. Think about it. How did that turn around the Dallas Cowboys?

Legend

User Info Menu

Dub, I like Ben, but I also hear what you are saying.

However, if you are going to trade Ben, you don't do it and then look to take a QB in the second. Teams that draft QBs in the second often seem to be addressing QB again within the next year. If you trade Ben, you only do it if you are comfortable that you are getting a franchise QB in the first to replace him.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    Dub, I like Ben, but I also hear what you are saying.

However, if you are going to trade Ben, you don't do it and then look to take a QB in the second. Teams that draft QBs in the second often seem to be addressing QB again within the next year. If you trade Ben, you only do it if you are comfortable that you are getting a franchise QB in the first to replace him.
    But this is the beauty of my whole idea. Steelers could end up with best QB in this entire draft in the early second round. All the hype is on the likes of Bridgewater, Boyd, Hundley, Marriota, and Manzel, and as a result A.J. McCarron is being seriously over-looked. Think about it, this kid is probably going to win his 3rd national title this year. He is a tremendous leader, has played in more big games than any of these other QB's, and in those big games, McCarron has excelled. He has good size (6 ft 3), strong accurate arm but because he has played in a run-oriented offense, he has been severely over-looked. This reminds me of when Joe Montana played at Notre Dame. Same thing. He too played in a run oriented offense and was over-looked. Both Montana and McCarron are loaded with intangibles that translate into a better QB as a pro than they were as college QB's.

And his style of play is perfect for what the Steelers true identity is. Those other QB's in this draft ahead of him are going to be gobble up because of their ability to run the read-option offense.

McCarron is no slouch as a passer but his better days are ahead of him. His development will be much more at the next level.

Again, look at how he has played in all those big games (SEC, and BCS Championship games), and then think about him having a real good chance at winning his 3rd title.

That is rare.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    But this is the beauty of my whole idea. Steelers could end up with best QB in this entire draft in the early second round. All the hype is on the likes of Bridgewater, Boyd, Hundley, Marriota, and Manzel, and as a result A.J. McCarron is being seriously over-looked. Think about it, this kid is probably going to win his 3rd national title this year. He is a tremendous leader, has played in more big games than any of these other QB's, and in those big games, McCarron has excelled. He has good size (6 ft 3), strong accurate arm but because he has played in a run-oriented offense, he has been severely over-looked. This reminds me of when Joe Montana played at Notre Dame. Same thing. He too played in a run oriented offense and was over-looked. Both Montana and McCarron are loaded with intangibles that translate into a better QB as a pro than they were as college QB's.

And his style of play is perfect for what the Steelers true identity is. Those other QB's in this draft ahead of him are going to be gobble up because of their ability to run the read-option offense.

McCarron is no slouch as a passer but his better days are ahead of him. His development will be much more at the next level.

Again, look at how he has played in all those big games (SEC, and BCS Championship games), and then think about him having a real good chance at winning his 3rd title.

That is rare.
    Just like Matt Barkley last year right????????????????

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

...and by the way, I would not even think about trading Ben for any of those other QB's. Only with the idea of getting multiple high picks, and the chance to draft A. J. McCarron. And who knows, with Arians in Arizona, and the Cardinal probably being desperate again this off season for a bonafide QB, the may be forced to part ways with someone like CB Patrick Peterson in that package.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelerkeylargo View Post
    Just like Matt Barkley last year right????????????????
    Wow...really? I would think that you would know that McCarron has a much stronger arm than Matt Barkley. And again maybe the QB of 3 national titles. As much as I love Matt Barley, Mc Carron has a lot more to bring to the NFL.

And you can throw Matt Barkley in my face all you want. I stand by what I said. If he ever gets a legitimate chance he will show his worth.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    Wow...really? I would think that you would know that McCarron has a much stronger arm than Matt Barkley. And again maybe the QB of 3 national titles. As much as I love Matt Barley, Mc Carron has a lot more to bring to the NFL.

And you can throw Matt Barkley in my face all you want. I stand by what I said. If he ever gets a legitimate chance he will show his worth.

Matt Barkley, Rahim Moore, Akeem Ayers, Marcus Gilbert the list goes on and on. Purported first round talents that can barely play. Nothing personal.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Give me the A&M LT.
    @_Hellgrammite