Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: Steelers Trade for Levi Brown

Rookie

User Info Menu

It isn't for lack of trying...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SanAntonioSteelerFan View Post
    That's OK though, IMO - we can win the next SB without a Willis, Revis, etc., but we can't with B3n in a body Kast.
    The more time Ben has.. the more time Ben takes... he will always get killed because that's his game.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    We pass on pass on the next Revis, Peterson or Willis to draft LT?
    Which LT, Taylor or Tomlinson?

Either way I'm down with that.
    Tomlinson is LT2... always was to me, anyway... just sayin'

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    Tomlinson is LT2... always was to me, anyway... just sayin'
    Does that make Timmos LT3?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    This.

Rather than gameplan on how to protect the LT, the Steelers can now gameplan to beat the defense.
    if they haven't been gameplanning to beat the defense, the OC should be fired... Then again, he should be anyway.

It's very simple. The team is now 8-12 with him calling plays... The talent isn't as short as you think. Remember how much more talented players looked when Ben took over and our "average" team went 15-1 or whatever it was?

Anyway, in Arian's final year, , we were Tebowed, but, in the playoffs. The year before, Super Bowl (loss, but, again in the playoffs). Last year's team went 8-8 with the same talent that got Tebowed - but, WAS a playoff team. In fact, some defensive positions had been upgraded (Lewis at DB was probably better than Gay, for example).

On paper, this was the #1 defense in the league last year - and don't give me "Ben was hurt". Ben's always hurt, limping, playing with special shoes, missing games. One significant thing changed from perinnial playoff team to today. We got a different play caller.

There is a small window of opportunity with this bunch - maybe 2-3 more years tops before it's time to consider the post-Roethlisberger Era. Time to take advantage of the Franchise QB while you have him... Each week, Haley's presence irks me more and more.

Legend

User Info Menu

#1 defense ranking means sh*t, it's a farce.
    There are so many other variables not taken into consideration, it's mindboggling.
    Sacks, takeaways, QB pressures and opposing teams 3rd down % are important for a great defense.
    Yards allowed are only a small % IMO.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pittpete View Post
    #1 defense ranking means sh*t, it's a farce.
    There are so many other variables not taken into consideration, it's mindboggling.
    Sacks, takeaways, QB pressures and opposing teams 3rd down % are important for a great defense.
    Yards allowed are only a small % IMO.

Love the word farce. That nails it. And it's been that way for a couple of seasons.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

How about points allowed? I think we were pretty good in that regard last year although this year is a different story so far...
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Discipline of Steel View Post
    How about points allowed? I think we were pretty good in that regard last year although this year is a different story so far...
    This is the key...

Yards, schmards...the defense has historically done a great job of preventing points...the offense hasn't historically done a very good job of scoring points...

People can make excuses, but, the bottom line is that it's true...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post

On paper, this was the #1 defense in the league last year - and don't give me "Ben was hurt". Ben's always hurt, limping, playing with special shoes, missing games. One significant thing changed from perinnial playoff team to today. We got a different play caller.
    Did you even watch the games? It was obvious that there was a significant drop-off in Ben's performance after coming back from the injury...and an accompanying drop-off in the production of the offense. Not that the play-calling was ever great, but there wasn't that much difference in it from pre-Ben-injury to post-Ben-injury. What changed the most was Ben's performance. He was obviously not 100%.

Not that I love Haley. If I was Tomlin, I'd fire him yesterday, and try some major offensive changes. He needs to do something to shake up this sinking ship.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMick7
    You have Ben and Tomlin in one corner, and Art II and Haley in the other.
    I keep seeing this assertion on this board, repeated over and over by Crash and then adopted by others...again, where's the proof? Tomlin said (rather emphatically) that the Haley hire was his decision. He could be lying, but I don't think so. After all, he's made other impulsive coaching changes (ie., Al Everest firing).

It's sort of like the myth that Haley has taken the Steelers back to 1975-style offense. It's repeated enough that many seem to believe it. The truth is Ben is on pace to pass for nearly 5000 yards. But as we've seen, just passing more doesn't necessarily result in better offense. At this point, I might be happy to see something more akin to the 70's from our O--at least maybe we'd win a game now and then.