Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Steelers' Film Study: Tackles missing vs. Vikings

Good point NC, I'd also point out that the poor MLB play is a direct result of the inadequate DL play (particularly the NT), which allows OL to block down on the LB's. Neither the OLB nor the MLB have free range because the DL isn't occupying blockers like in the past. McLendon isn't getting the job done in the middle, he's not a big enough body for the 3-4 and rushes himself out the middle and exposes it.

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    Leaving Adams to block Allen one-on-one nearly 90% of the time is absolutely foolish. It shows not only a failure to make adjustments, but also a terrible game plan.
    This is bang on. What is the job of the coaches heading into a game? Identify our strengths and weaknesses. Identify areas where we can exploit the other team and where we can prevent them from taking advantage of our team.

If I am a Steelers coach going into any game, I look at the big whiteboard and see a giant red circle around the offensive LT. ALWAYS!! And the number one duty of the coaching staff is to figure out a way to not allow this glaring weakness to be exploited every single play. It is the first question brought up at every game planning meeting every week.

Quote Originally Posted by Jooser View Post
    Good point NC, I'd also point out that the poor MLB play is a direct result of the inadequate DL play (particularly the NT), which allows OL to block down on the LB's. Neither the OLB nor the MLB have free range because the DL isn't occupying blockers like in the past. McLendon isn't getting the job done in the middle, he's not a big enough body for the 3-4 and rushes himself out the middle and exposes it.
    I agree with the analysis on the OL play, but that is the new reality for this D. We had a very rare benefit when we had 2 DL who often each occupied 2 blockers. Up until their demise, Aaron Smith and Casey Hampton were enormous for this D...Snack for several reasons.

I said somewhere in another thread that 5 years ago Keisel was the third best player on the DL. He is now 5 years older and the best player on the DL. The DL used to set up everyone else for success, and allow Lebeau to pull any one of many ideas out of his bag of tricks and they could all work. Now, instead of the DL tying up 5 blockers, they can barely handle three. That severely limits the range of plays that he can use. Now, instead of thinking like an attacker - "how can I use my advantage to get after the D?", Lebeau has to think defensively - "how do I cover up for my weaknesses up front?"

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    I agree with the analysis on the OL play, but that is the new reality for this D. We had a very rare benefit when we had 2 DL who often each occupied 2 blockers. Up until their demise, Aaron Smith and Casey Hampton were enormous for this D...Snack for several reasons.

I said somewhere in another thread that 5 years ago Keisel was the third best player on the DL. He is now 5 years older and the best player on the DL. The DL used to set up everyone else for success, and allow Lebeau to pull any one of many ideas out of his bag of tricks and they could all work. Now, instead of the DL tying up 5 blockers, they can barely handle three. That severely limits the range of plays that he can use. Now, instead of thinking like an attacker - "how can I use my advantage to get after the D?", Lebeau has to think defensively - "how do I cover up for my weaknesses up front?"
    and his answer to this is have Troy play on the line of scrimmage. That in itself hurts the value of Troy because the opponent always knows he is playing along the line and not roaming the secondary.
    <a href=http://seahawknationblog.com/files/2011/02/roger-goodell.jpg target=_blank>http://seahawknationblog.com/files/2...er-goodell.jpg</a>