Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Yea..... stop the Tomlin posts.

I'd beg to differ about that standard being set high. This teams standard is losing and looking sloppy doing it. Shouldn't be to hard to keep the 'standard is the standard' trend alive. We acknowledge that and we accept that.

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    Not convinced that punting Tomlin solves anything. But some change in the make-up of this team is obviously required. Tomlin doesn't seem like a 'tactician' as a HC, more of a 'gatherer of men'.

The men he has gathered need changing. Maybe even across the board changes. Haley obviously isn't working out, for whatever reason. LeBeau is a great coach, but the D needs a bit of an injection of new ideas. Coach Mitchell isn't getting the results from the DL. Bicknall could be the first Coach gone.

Only coaches that Chadman would consider 'safe' would be Lake & maybe Butler. Butler actually strikes Chadman as the next Steeler HC. He's not a 'media guy', but here's betting he'd strike a lot of chords with not only the players, but the FO guys too.

A few changes in philosophy, a few technical changes, and the Steelers go from an 0-4 team to a playoff team. Won't happen this season, but the line between good & bad isn't so defined anymore. The Steelers have a number of pieces already in place. This team does not need a hatchet job on the playing personel.
    Money post chad.

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    I'd beg to differ about that standard being set high. This teams standard is losing and looking sloppy doing it. Shouldn't be to hard to keep the 'standard is the standard' trend alive. We acknowledge that and we accept that.
    Losing??? Ok give me ONE not two but ONE losing season under Tomlin..... tic toc tik toc. You can't so try again. Your agenda is so plain and upfront it's really sad.

Well, now is not the time to consider any coaching changes. That is done after the season is over. If this team can play better each week and maybe win a few on the way, and actually start to play better at season's end, then the coaching staff should stay as it is. HOWEVER, if the HC clearly starts to lose his players and they start to tank it, then and only then would I (if I were Mr. Rooney) consider a change.

Cowher went through a few hiccups during his tenure. I remember a 6-10 season as well as a 7-9 season..... So, this is Tomlins hiccup here, I suppose.

Let's not forget that this division we are in is still WINNABLE. We're sitting 2 games out and every other team in this division ain't all that. In fact, it downright is a sukky division right now. Baltimore travels to Miami next, and they could be 2-3 by th time we head to NYC to play the Jets.

I totally agree about the Wimper talk. And I have questions about that as well. Why is he even on the 53 man roster if he has no chance of playing barring an emergency...Mind baffling. And Tomlin needs to answer that, but I'm not ready to fire this guy. At least not yet....
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

We do have a tendancy to over react to disappoinment around here.

Thankfully, the FO doesn't. It's maddening at times, but more often than not, it's subtle change, not drastic change, that gets the desired result.

Philosophy needs a tweak. And certain areas of the roster need strengthening. But there are a lot of strengths in the Steelers, and a quick turnaround is only a step or two away.

Tomlin, or any Steeler HC, is going to have his struggles. Maintaining 'the standard' isn't easy. It's not a low standard, and never will be.

So to have a season, or seasons, where things don't go right, is neither surprising, or the end of the world.

One change that may need to be made though is Colbert. Chadman wonders how long a guy can maintain a level of success like has & not need to recharge the batteries. He takes a lot of the draft responsibility, maybe fresh eyes are needed here.
    Yes, as fans we do tend to overreact. But, Colbert would be a good start. I have been a long defender of Tomlin even in the face of stats that his teams play sloppy...penalties and turnovers. I defended him because he was winning. I think as the leadership left, Tomlin couldn't maintain "the standard" by himself. I think it's quite possible he has now been exposed. I think it's also possible that team chemistry is just off with Haley in house. At minimum I would make a change with Haley. I would find a young player friendly OC, who is a forward thinker when it comes to offenses. Colbert's track record recently has been poor. His off season moves leave me scratching my head especially in the face of his direct quotes. I believe it may be time to look for some new leadership there. Personally, I would give Tomlin free reign to pick his staff. I would give him another year or two to correct. If I seen the same slop he has put on the field, then it would be his job as well.

Not convinced that punting Tomlin solves anything. But some change in the make-up of this team is obviously required. Tomlin doesn't seem like a 'tactician' as a HC, more of a 'gatherer of men'.

The men he has gathered need changing. Maybe even across the board changes. Haley obviously isn't working out, for whatever reason. LeBeau is a great coach, but the D needs a bit of an injection of new ideas. Coach Mitchell isn't getting the results from the DL. Bicknall could be the first Coach gone.

Only coaches that Chadman would consider 'safe' would be Lake & maybe Butler. Butler actually strikes Chadman as the next Steeler HC. He's not a 'media guy', but here's betting he'd strike a lot of chords with not only the players, but the FO guys too.

A few changes in philosophy, a few technical changes, and the Steelers go from an 0-4 team to a playoff team. Won't happen this season, but the line between good & bad isn't so defined anymore. The Steelers have a number of pieces already in place. This team does not need a hatchet job on the playing personel.
    Well, if he can't do what he does well (gather men), then shouldn't there at least be discussion about his tenure? I'm not of the fire the coaches mentality because things are going bad even though I've been very cantankerous since the beginning of the season, but based on what I'm seeing and now hearing (Tomlin's own admission about the tackle situation) the coaching staff (HC, DC and OC) should be asked some tough questions by the owners about the current state of affairs and why it's heading south.

Colbert should probably join the coaches and explain how the most recent drafts have been less than stellar.

Pappy

1.15) Ryan Shazier - ILB/OLB
    2.46) Stephon Tuitt - DE
    3.97) Dri Archer - RB
    4.118 ) Martavis Bryant - WR
    5.157) Shaquille Richardson - CB
    6.173) Wesley Johnson - OT
    6.192) Jordan Zumwalt - ILB
    7.215) Daniel McCullers - DT
    7.230) Rob Blanchflower - TE

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll

Colbert is under contract until 2016, I believe...

Tomlin is under contract through 2016...

They will have some time to turn things around, just as Cowher and Donohoe did back in the day...

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Colbert is under contract until 2016, I believe...

Tomlin is under contract through 2016...

They will have some time to turn things around, just as Cowher and Donohoe did back in the day...
    The Rooneys can still fire them. I don't think they'll fire Colbert though. Tomlin might have 1 additional year of this mess before he gets canned.

If not, I can see sub .500 or sub .500 records and no playoffs for the next 3 years.

Pro Bowler
    Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    The Rooneys can still fire them. I don't think they'll fire Colbert though. Tomlin might have 1 additional year of this mess before he gets canned.

If not, I can see sub .500 or sub .500 records and no playoffs for the next 3 years.
    The team isnt losing because of Tomlin. I'm not exactly sure what you or anyone else that wants a new coach expects to happen. Who exactly is going to come in and "right the ship" that's more capable than Tomlin? As others on this board have said if for some crazy reason the Rooney's fire Tomlin (They won't) He will get paid A LOT of money to coach somewhere else and it will happen in a hurry.

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch98 View Post
    The team isnt losing because of Tomlin. I'm not exactly sure what you or anyone else that wants a new coach expects to happen. Who exactly is going to come in and "right the ship" that's more capable than Tomlin? As others on this board have said if for some crazy reason the Rooney's fire Tomlin (They won't) He will get paid A LOT of money to coach somewhere else and it will happen in a hurry.
    Who cares if he gets paid somewhere else. Good for him. You make it sound like coaching doesn't make a difference. See the Patriots. See the Saints. Both of them have elite QBs though.... not the turnover machine that looks more like a rookie than a veteran.