Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Doesn't it seems like Tomlin

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    This is total BS. What year did Dawson make his first pro-bowl? I'll help you out. It was 1992. How about Lake? He didn't make a pro-bowl until 1994. Woodson didn't even play the entire year they went to the SB. FACT is that Cowher had 3 players left from Noll on defense in his 4th season. Tomlin had 8 of 11 in his FIFTH season. You can spin it anyway you want but that's the fact. As Cowher's players retire the team gets worse. Tomlin inherited 5 pro-bowlers and 1 possible HOFers on offense and 5 pro-bowlers and at least 1 HOFer on defense. Not only the quality but the quantity was in Tomlin's favor.
    Which is why Tomlin won 60+ regular season games and a SB in his first six seasons...

I'm not spinning anything, I'm merely stating the fact that Cowher's proverbial cupboard was not bare when he took over the team and, when the team started to lose the talent that Cowher inherited, there was a rebuilding phase where players like Joey Porter, Aaron Smith and Hines Ward were added...

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    This is total BS. What year did Dawson make his first pro-bowl? I'll help you out. It was 1992. How about Lake? He didn't make a pro-bowl until 1994. Woodson didn't even play the entire year they went to the SB. FACT is that Cowher had 3 players left from Noll on defense in his 4th season. Tomlin had 8 of 11 in his FIFTH season. You can spin it anyway you want but that's the fact. As Cowher's players retire the team gets worse. Tomlin inherited 5 pro-bowlers and 1 possible HOFers on offense and 5 pro-bowlers and at least 1 HOFer on defense. Not only the quality but the quantity was in Tomlin's favor.

Several of us have tried to explain such things but as the old saying goes....

You can lead the horse to water but cant force it to drink. The people that continue to bury their head in the sand are the horses that would be willingly dying of dehydration when the water is right in front of them. Maybe that's not as good as the "Defending every blade of grass" comment but I tried...
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post

You can lead the horse to water but cant force it to drink. The people that continue to bury their head in the sand are the horses that would be willingly dying of dehydration when the water is right in front of them. Maybe that's not as good as the "Defending every blade of grass" comment but I tried...
    You can tell me it's water, but if I know it's pee-pee, then I'll pass until some real water comes along...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post

try less harder because that was awful...

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    try less harder because that was awful...
    Not many people can be more Cliche than Coach Cliche himself.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Which is why Tomlin won 60+ regular season games and a SB in his first six seasons...

I'm not spinning anything, I'm merely stating the fact that Cowher's proverbial cupboard was not bare when he took over the team and, when the team started to lose the talent that Cowher inherited, there was a rebuilding phase where players like Joey Porter, Aaron Smith and Hines Ward were added...
    Again, Cowher had 3 players (one of which missed the entire SB season) and a couple of offensive players. 99% of which would be gone by this time in Tomlin's tenure. Cowher restocked the entire defense but those guys. Tomlin didn't restock anything. He had almost the EXACT same team as the SB team under Cowher. He replaced 3 people. Cowher replaced 8 just on the defense. The SB team of 95 was NOT stocked with Noll's talent. It just wasn't. 5 players no matter how good they are doesn't represent a full cupboard.

Just to see how silly this is here is the starting lineup for the 95 SB:

O'Donnell: Rookie in Noll's last year.
    Pegram- FA picked up by Cowher
    Williams- FA picked up by Cowher
    Mills- Rookie during Noll's last season. Had 3 receptions.
    Thigpen- Noll
    Bruener- Cowher
    Jackson- Noll
    Newberry- FA picked up by Cowher
    Dawson- Noll
    Stai- Cowher
    Searcy- Cowher
    Buckner- Cowher
    Steed- Cowher
    Seals- FA by Cowher
    Greene- FA by Cowher
    Kirkland- Cowher
    Brown- Cowher
    Lloyd- Noll
    Williams- Cowher
    Lake- Noll
    Bell- Cowher
    Perry- Cowher

Woodson played some in the SB but was lost for the entire year. So 7 players, 2 of whom were rookies in Noll's last year, are the great "cupboard" that was left Cowher? Tomlin had 8 in his 5th year just on defense ALONE. Sorry, I don't see how anyone can say Cowher was left with a lot of talent. He had 3 really good defensive players and a couple of good OL. He had to replace 3 OL, ALL the RBs, ALL the DL, ALL but one of the LBers, and most of the CBs. It isn't even close to what Tomlin had.

Rookie

User Info Menu

And, that's why Tomlin won 60+ games and a Super Bowl...

Cowher didn't restock the team...as we all saw, the Steelers didn't make the playoffs in 1998, 1999 and 2000...if he had stocked the team with all that talent, why did everything happen after losing Noll's guys?

Leadership void, perhaps?

Cowher did restock the team during those "playoff free" years...

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    And, that's why Tomlin won 60+ games and a Super Bowl...

Cowher didn't restock the team...as we all saw, the Steelers didn't make the playoffs in 1998, 1999 and 2000...if he had stocked the team with all that talent, why did everything happen after losing Noll's guys?

Leadership void, perhaps?

Cowher did restock the team during those "playoff free" years...
    What? He had to restock FROM Noll's team. Very few of Noll's guys were around for the 95' SB. That's the point. He was also in a power struggle with Donahoe that ended in 1999. Just so happen that Cowher got the team back on track AFTER Donahoe left. Cowher wanted to draft Kearse instead of Troy Edwards but was over ruled by Donahoe. It took him the next year to go 9-7 then the next year he was 13-3 and back in the playoffs. Tomlin STILL has almost as many players from Cowher's team than Cowher did from Noll's team in 95'.

Rookie

User Info Menu

So, what happened from 98-00 if he already had the team restocked?

Administrator

User Info Menu

Vader - You are wasting your time. I don't know if they are that incompetent or just hard headed. Probably a little bit of both.