Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 85

Thread: Doesn't it seems like Tomlin

  1. #51
    Pro Bowler Steelhere10's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    man from Sudan
    Posts
    2,069
    And one thing about the Unleash Hell that people are so bent over about. I remember when Cowher coached team was having a bunch of personal foul penalties and Cowher made a statement about he guarantee there will be no more, and what happens? I think they got two the next week. Why wasn't that such a big deal then, like the Unleash Hell comment.

  2. #52
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    14,364
    Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    I'm not buying this. Pretty much everyone and their brother had a huge man crush on Tomlin when he was the youngest coach to win a SuperBowl. He's a cool cat. Always says the right things. We've quoted and admired like no other.

    But then he talks about unleashing hell and his team doesn't back him up. And some doubt starts to creep in. Then a team that looks talented falls apart at the seams in 2012. We even made a ton of excuses for him. Big Ben, Troy, James, Woodley, etc were hurt. BA got fired. Haley's a tool. Colbert drafts poorly. DL is old. etc.

    Fast forward to 0-4 and this team looks as bad as anything I can remember. Everything is in disarray. We have guys on the roster that he doesn't trust playing. No one seems ready or prepared. The passion is gone. Personally, I kinda like the steady, even keeled Tomlin. But I can see why people question him as a coach. Why wouldn't they question him whether he was black, white, yellow, blue, or green? He's under performing. That's not acceptable in Pittsburgh.

    As far as I can tell, almost everyone just sees him as the coach of the Steelers. And passes their judgement accordingly. But for some reason, you seem to see him as a black dude. Why? I know that he is, but I don't ever consider it until someone brings it up. And I just don't see the point in bringing it up. Tomlin's just a guy like any other guy. And as I recall, Steelers fans were tired of Noll when he was losing as well as Cowher. I think the fact that Steeler Nation puts him on a short leash says we just think of him as a coach like any other. And we can't stand losing.
    a few Rooney Rule "because he's black" has crept onto this board from time to time.

    I don't think it's the primary reason most are frustrated with Tomlin but a few have been down on him since day 1. Sure he said unleash hell, and a few other things but it's what coaches do... they talk at presser's and answer questions and sometimes they use the wrong words to get their point across.

    I have no problem with Tomlin saying we would "unleashing hell" it's no different than Ben saying whatever he feels he needs to say to sound like we will win the next game.

  3. #53
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    14,364
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelhere10 View Post
    And one thing about the Unleash Hell that people are so bent over about. I remember when Cowher coached team was having a bunch of personal foul penalties and Cowher made a statement about he guarantee there will be no more, and what happens? I think they got two the next week. Why wasn't that such a big deal then, like the Unleash Hell comment.
    or slobbering over everything and everyone while getting it handed to him in ANOTHER AFCCG loss...

    he looked so tough... lol. I'm a big Cowher fan but this revisionist history is hilarious.

  4. #54
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelhere10 View Post
    And one thing about the Unleash Hell that people are so bent over about. I remember when Cowher coached team was having a bunch of personal foul penalties and Cowher made a statement about he guarantee there will be no more, and what happens? I think they got two the next week. Why wasn't that such a big deal then, like the Unleash Hell comment.
    It was a big deal then..wow do I remember people calling for Cowher's head...We just didn't have the internet like we do now...

  5. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    You are conceding that calling for Cowher's head was a mistake so why call for Tomlin's head? Is this considered equal opportunity coach bashing? LOL..

    Tomlin kept Cowher's staff because it was a year removed from the SB. Why the hell would he change things... that would have been all ego on his part.
    It is indeed equal opportunity bashing. I'm not owner, GM or coach...just an irritated fan. I will express my frustration by asking for the heads of those in charge. I will question the decision making. That is my right as a paying fan who supports his team in many ways including financially.

    As for Tomlin, you state its all the same Tomlin and Cowher. But, Cowher inherited an underperforming lack luster Noll team that hadn't done squat in years. Cowher recognized the need for a fresh start...in one year with his own staff completely turned the franchise around. Tomlin inherited a SB winning team...with SB winning players coached by SB winning assistant coaches. And it's the same? I'm just supposed to believe Tomlin was a big part of that? Nah, not buying it. Certainly don't see the similarity. Tomlin went along for the ride, didn't make changes and inherited a SB team. I believe I could have coached them to another SB.

  6. #56
    Have we had a single year of improvement under Tomlin? He was handed a stacked deck upon arriving in the 'burg. It seems like a well managed decline, which is exponentially spinning out of control at this point. This and next year will be the test for him. If he can turn it around, he will be hailed as a great coach and secure his job here for quite awhile. If not, then he is living on borrowed time (and players) here.

  7. #57
    I agree Ferrite. Tomlin will get his chance to right the ship. And if he does, in my mind he has proven himself as a coach. If not, I think he may have been some clever one liners riding on the coat tails of Cowher.

  8. #58
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    I agree Ferrite. Tomlin will get his chance to right the ship. And if he does, in my mind he has proven himself as a coach. If not, I think he may have been some clever one liners riding on the coat tails of Cowher.
    So far, Tomlin has presided over the "unleash hell" collapse as well as the collapse last year. When faced with adversity, he has crumpled. Many of the players were also involved in the 2005 run, where the team looked down and out before a late season winning streak and the amazing SB run. Given that the players had overcome adversity before, this appears to be a coaching issue.
    Last edited by phillyesq; 10-01-2013 at 01:54 PM.

  9. #59
    Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    This is exactly my point...Cowher had three consecutive non-playoff seasons after he lost Noll's players...4 games into this one, Tomlin must be fired?

    At that time, if a message board had existed in the current format, with everyone and their brother having internet access, I'm sure we would have seen the same silly overreactions...
    That's not true. In the SB of 95 only 3 defensive players were left from Noll's era. That's Cowher's 4th season. In Tomlin's 5th season he still had 8 of 11 defensive players from Cowher's era. Cowher didn't miss the playoffs until 3 seasons later. Cowher rebuilt almost the entire defense BEFORE he made his first SB. Almost nobody is left from Noll's teams after the SB of 95. And they still make the playoffs the next 2 years. Then for the next 3 years the drafts suck. There is a huge issue with Cowher and Donahoe. Donahoe drafts Edwards over Cowher's objections and Cowher offers his resignation. Rooney allows Cowher more power and fires Donahoe.

  10. #60
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Cincitucky (Stinktown, U.S.A.)
    Posts
    4,026
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelhere10 View Post
    If it make you feel better Shawn I really don't take you as hating Tomlin because he's a black coach. I think you are as disappointed as most True Steeler fans. But some of the board have their own agenda and we all know what / who they are.
    Shawn hates Tomlin because he won't buy boner pills from him (inside joke).
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •