Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not Getting It Done

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Legend

User Info Menu

Not Getting It Done

We rightly point to players like Mike Adams and Steve McLendon. Of course, they need to play better. Or be replaced.

But what about our highest-paid players? What is the team getting from them for the money they make?

Troy Polamalu makes $10 million per year...Ike Taylor over $9 million. They haven't been horrible out there, but for that kind of money, shouldn't you expect some kind of "splash" play now and then? When is the last time either of those guys really changed the course of a game in our favor?

LaMarr Woodley makes over $9 million a year. I know he has 3 sacks, and leads the team in that category...but again, when is the last time he really came up with a game-changing, difference-making play? He gets a pressure or a sack now and then, but disappears for long stretches of games.

Timmons, Clark, Keisel...all make over $4.5 million/year. For that money, shouldn't we expect something a little more than just "solid"?

Of course, on the offensive side of the ball, we have Ben, making over $13.5 million, looking to break the record for giveaways. And Heath Miller getting almost $8 million per. I'll give him a bit of a pass, since he's just sort of getting back into form--but for $8 million, shouldn't we expect a lot out of him?

All told, the players mentioned represent over $62 million in salary/year combined. Are any of them horrible? No. They are the best we have...but for the money they make, they've got to step it up.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post
    We rightly point to players like Mike Adams and Steve McLendon. Of course, they need to play better. Or be replaced.

But what about our highest-paid players? What is the team getting from them for the money they make?

Troy Polamalu makes $10 million per year...Ike Taylor over $9 million. They haven't been horrible out there, but for that kind of money, shouldn't you expect some kind of "splash" play now and then? When is the last time either of those guys really changed the course of a game in our favor?

LaMarr Woodley makes over $9 million a year. I know he has 3 sacks, and leads the team in that category...but again, when is the last time he really came up with a game-changing, difference-making play? He gets a pressure or a sack now and then, but disappears for long stretches of games.

Timmons, Clark, Keisel...all make over $4.5 million/year. For that money, shouldn't we expect something a little more than just "solid"?

Of course, on the offensive side of the ball, we have Ben, making over $13.5 million, looking to break the record for giveaways. And Heath Miller getting almost $8 million per. I'll give him a bit of a pass, since he's just sort of getting back into form--but for $8 million, shouldn't we expect a lot out of him?

All told, the players mentioned represent over $62 million in salary/year combined. Are any of them horrible? No. They are the best we have...but for the money they make, they've got to step it up.
    This is 100% correct...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

And none of them are deserving the cash, maybe Timmons And if Ike could catch maybe him but at the moment it's best to just start over.
    [url=http://img525.imageshack.us/i/steelers2010.jpg/]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2...eelers2010.jpg[/url]

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post

Woodley made the only actual play on defense all day...

But yeah, i agree... we need more out of everyone.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RussBII View Post
    Even when they force a fumble, they still give up a first down...

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Even when they force a fumble, they still give up a first down...
    If that play wasn't this season in a nutshell, i dunno what is.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RussBII View Post

But yeah, i agree... we need more out of everyone.
    The problem with the plays Woodley makes is that there are singular. He never gets constant pressure. I actually give him credit, in that his sack (no plural) comes as a result of battling and scrapping. He can't beat one-on-one protection. THAT is one of our main problems--we have not one guy on the roster able to beat one-on-one blocking. Not one.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    The problem with the plays Woodley makes is that there are singular. He never gets constant pressure. I actually give him credit, in that his sack (no plural) comes as a result of battling and scrapping. He can't beat one-on-one protection. THAT is one of our main problems--we have not one guy on the roster able to beat one-on-one blocking. Not one.
    $$$$$$
    If the Steelers are going to fix their defense, they need to find a couple of "those" guys.

Legend

User Info Menu

Looking at all the $$ on the defensive side of the ball and here are the grades for the Vikings game given by Dulac of the Post Gazette:

Defensive Line - D
    Linebackers - D
    Secondary - D

That's a whole lot of coin for a unit that's failing.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

The times have changed. The best OTs now are behemoths. Add in the fact that you can pretty much hold and outside rusher now, that's two main reasons an undersized guy like Woodley (and Deebo) no longer can make the plays like they could 5 years ago. It's possible the 3-4 is no longer as effective in this league.

So Bradshaw is RIGHT. No one on one victories for our D. = no sacks and no INTs.