Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why the personnel department is the real reason for this debacle

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Why the personnel department is the real reason for this debacle

Years Ago the Steelers was on top of their game on drafting, so the strategy was to bypass FA. But the last 4-5 YEARS have been mediocre at best in the draft dpt, So you can't have the same strategy with FA, you have to go and restock your roster in other ways. Now here is a real question? Why did it take an injury to Pouncey before they go out and find Velasco who imo is playing just as good of not better than Pouncey. But their answer to FA is to go out and bring in aging retreads such as Burress, Foote, Gay Spaeth etc.
    [url=http://img525.imageshack.us/i/steelers2010.jpg/]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2...eelers2010.jpg[/url]

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steelhere10 View Post
    Years Ago the Steelers was on top of their game on drafting, so the strategy was to bypass FA. But the last 4-5 YEARS have been mediocre at best in the draft dpt, So you can't have the same strategy with FA, you have to go and restock your roster in other ways. Now here is a real question? Why did it take an injury to Pouncey before they go out and find Velasco who imo is playing just as good of not better than Pouncey. But their answer to FA is to go out and bring in aging retreads such as Burress, Foote, Gay Spaeth etc.
    The problem is that by the time the Steelers find out that a player isn't quite what they drafted another draft has come and gone and now they have that many more young players to evaluate. The Steelers don't seem willing to accept the fact that they may have missed and missed badly on their premium picks and keep them around hoping they will develop into something other than serviceable backups. Hood, Adams, Worilds, Mendenhall, Sweed, Heyward (maybe, he might still turn into something), etc. There was really no plan at ILB that I can see, Sylvester, Williams, et al, I don't think so. I'm not even sure that Timmons is panning in the fashion that they had hoped, after all, he was originally drafted to play outside, not inside if I remember correctly.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

I think it is a several factors.

1. Ignored the OL for awhile and then did a big blast in draft for two years and hoped everyone would rapidly develop...it isn't working. Need to add to the OL every year for a solid foundation to protect our most important player.
    2. Use to have a monopoly on "tweener" DEs who we would convert to OLB. Now over half the teams in the NFL play the 3-4 so the talent pool is being over-fished and we don't have luxury of 2 year development periods.
    3. Destroyed the cap by keeping pieces of the defense too long when performance was decreasing plus IMO a bad contract to Woodley who has done nothing since signing it. Offense is more important in today's NFL...it ain't the seventies.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    The problem is that by the time the Steelers find out that a player isn't quite what they drafted another draft has come and gone and now they have that many more young players to evaluate. The Steelers don't seem willing to accept the fact that they may have missed and missed badly on their premium picks and keep them around hoping they will develop into something other than serviceable backups. Hood, Adams, Worilds, Mendenhall, Sweed, Heyward (maybe, he might still turn into something), etc. There was really no plan at ILB that I can see, Sylvester, Williams, et al, I don't think so. I'm not even sure that Timmons is panning in the fashion that they had hoped, after all, he was originally drafted to play outside, not inside if I remember correctly.

Pappy
    They might just suck at evaluating OL talent. Sweed was a miss but for weird weird reasons. They've really nailed some WR gems in the past. I think they draft better than most teams except with an eye towards the OL.

Legend

User Info Menu

Why blame just one thing when we can easily blame everything. Remember how Tomlin put Casey on the PUP one training camp because he was fat and out of shape? I'd like to see him put Adams on the PUP now because he is truly physically unable to perform as a LT.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Why blame just one thing when we can easily blame everything. Remember how Tomlin put Casey on the PUP one training camp because he was fat and out of shape? I'd like to see him put Adams on the PUP now because he is truly physically unable to perform as a LT.
    I agree. Probem is... who goes in in Adams' place? But surely they could bring in nearly anyone that would play better. I've never seen anyone stand out in such a bad way on the line.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eich View Post
    I agree. Probem is... who goes in in Adams' place? But surely they could bring in nearly anyone that would play better. I've never seen anyone stand out in such a bad way on the line.
    I don't think Tomlin knows what the hell he wants or what he wants to do.... and if he doesn't have that narrowed down, he surely dooesn't have a plan. How many times has he tried to replace Starks and flat out FAILED just to bring Starks back.... Are we going to blame that move on Colbert and not Tomlin? I don't think so.... why? Starks was a Colbert draft pick dating back prior to the Tomlin days. Instead, Starks was replaced by GUY WHIMPER. Huh?

Tomlin's plan was to replace Starks with Jonathan Scott as our future LT. How did that pan out? That's stellar evaluation of your LT. Instead, Starks was brought back to save his @$$ once again.

Up until the early portion of training camp, Gilbert was anticipated to start at LT. How did that pan out? He was replaced by Adams.

Adams has been clearly overmatched at the LT position and most people saw this coming except our coaching staff. How is that possible? Blame the o-line coach, right? That's what the pro-Tomlin people want you to believe but that's not the reality. He hired this o-line coach just like he hired and fired the last one.

The zone blocking scheme was talked up for the majority of the offseason... one player (Pouncey) gets hurt and they abandon it. I'm not saying that was a bad move but my point is..... WHAT IN THE HELL IS THE LONG TERM PLAN? The pro-Tomlin people said they got rid of Starks because of the need for more athletic o-lineman. Really? Clearly that's not the case but that was just more excuses. 1 player gets hurt and they abandon it anyway.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Starter

User Info Menu

The standard is the standard.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    I don't think Tomlin knows what the hell he wants or what he wants to do.... and if he doesn't have that narrowed down, he surely dooesn't have a plan. How many times has he tried to replace Starks and flat out FAILED just to bring Starks back.... Are we going to blame that move on Colbert and not Tomlin? I don't think so.... why? Starks was a Colbert draft pick dating back prior to the Tomlin days. Instead, Starks was replaced by GUY WHIMPER. Huh?

Tomlin's plan was to replace Starks with Jonathan Scott as our future LT. How did that pan out? That's stellar evaluation of your LT. Instead, Starks was brought back to save his @$$ once again.

Up until the early portion of training camp, Gilbert was anticipated to start at LT. How did that pan out? He was replaced by Adams.

Adams has been clearly overmatched at the LT position and most people saw this coming except our coaching staff. How is that possible? Blame the o-line coach, right? That's what the pro-Tomlin people want you to believe but that's not the reality. He hired this o-line coach just like he hired and fired the last one.

The zone blocking scheme was talked up for the majority of the offseason... one player (Pouncey) gets hurt and they abandon it. I'm not saying that was a bad move but my point is..... WHAT IN THE HELL IS THE LONG TERM PLAN? The pro-Tomlin people said they got rid of Starks because of the need for more athletic o-lineman. Really? Clearly that's not the case but that was just more excuses. 1 player gets hurt and they abandon it anyway.
    As crazy as it sounds I'm not ready to give up on Adams... especially after seeing him get abused by J. Allen in England after arriving on Friday.

The real issue is the lack of help when it was obvious he couldn't handle him 1 on 1. We should have ran at Allen ALL DAY... chipped him the whole second half. Kept a RB in just to help.. we did none of those things and that is the real issue.

As far as Starks is concerned.. he sucks but even if he is better than Adams we weren't bringing him back because we can't afford him. It's obvious this team has money problems and we are signing the cheapest of the cheap.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Tomlin should get plenty of blame also, his game time deactivation is beyond puzzling. Moye gives you the red zone target that you need, scores from it and then is rewarded with game time deactivation.
    [url=http://img525.imageshack.us/i/steelers2010.jpg/]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2...eelers2010.jpg[/url]