Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

your missing the point.

tomlin said he wasn't prepared to play.

his words, not mine.

Rookie

User Info Menu

That's on the player...

Tomlin has benched ill-prepared players before (Mendenhall)...you would prefer that he put a player who did not prepare well out there?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

are you this dense?

whimper dressed dummy.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Your point?

I'm sure that, given another injury on the line, Tomlin would have been forced to put Whimper in against his wishes...

That doesn't make it a good idea...nor does it make him more prepared...

Dummy...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

poor tomlin being forced to play a guy he didn't have prepared.

I'm not the least bit surprised you are defending this.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I would guess the staff only sees Whimper as an OG right now & Beachum, who would've been the back-up OT, was already playing. Don't get me wrong, I've hated the Whimper signing forever but it's clear that crappy signing or not, Colbert has no one else to replace him with.
    It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust & sweat & blood...

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Life View Post
    I would guess the staff only sees Whimper as an OG right now & Beachum, who would've been the back-up OT, was already playing. Don't get me wrong, I've hated the Whimper signing forever but it's clear that crappy signing or not, Colbert has no one else to replace him with.
    I still don't get why you wouldn't sign Starks after the Chargers cut him because at a minimum, he provides a LT option as a backup if Adams gets hurt and severely underperforms. That makes no sense to me. He's a better T than Whimper. It's a solid backup plan. Beachum is only one guy so if he has to play due to another injury (like on Sunday), you still have someone that can play tackle. It makes no sense at all.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    poor tomlin being forced to play a guy he didn't have prepared.

I'm not the least bit surprised you are defending this.
    Did Tomlin want Whimper?

Hell, did Tomlin want Haley?

These are the things we don't know...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Did Tomlin want Whimper?

Hell, did Tomlin want Haley?

These are the things we don't know...
    we do know that he hand picked the oline coach................hows that working out?

Legend

User Info Menu

"Tomlin said he wasn't ready to play". What am I missing, it's presumably just telling it like it is, how is that a reflection of Tomlin or the other coaches?

IIRC, Whimper was signed because we a) needed depth, and b) had no $$. Also, do I recall correctly talk on this board that Whimper was the *worst* rated OL in the NFL last year? Was he actually cut already when we found him ... by *Jacksonville*?

The easy explanation for why Whimper didn't take the field is that personnel move didn't pan out, that he really *does* suck eggs, and that all the scouting reports we experts had access to were ... right!

Unless there were absolutely zero alternatives at the time, I think the finger needs to be pointed at the people who decided Whimper was a good signing, not simply the coaches who wound up w/ him in the locker room.

Just my 2 cents.

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!