Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: PG+: Tomlin's postgame admission sheds light on personnel woes

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    I'm sorry but this is a complete BS argument IMO and just another excuse. Can you really say objectively that this team lacks so much talent that 0-4 is acceptable? The Jaguars lack talent. The same goes for the Giants. The Giants and Steelers are very similar this year. They both have some talent on defense. They both have a franchise QB. They both have some talent at WR. They are a combined 0-8 which is incredible. It's no more acceptable for the Giants to be 0-4 as it is the Steelers.

From a record standpoint, we are no better or worse than the Jaguars. The Jaguars! I'm sorry but we have more talent than several teams. I'm not saying we have talent to win a SB (obviously) but we are not bottom of the barrel from a talent perspective. However, our record is bottom of the barrel and worst in the league.... along with the Giants and the Jaguars. That clearly falls on player execution and coaching. I think we need some more talent (particularly o-line) but talent is not the #1 issue.
    I would propose that we are ... at the O-line position (along with the Giants who have the same problem). It's not a coincidence that the teams that have been to the SB most in the past 6 years or so are now the ones suffering the most. Add bad drafting/bad luck - and it's easy to see why we are why we are.

Chuck Noll as HC, with Lombardi as DC and Landry as OC, could not do much better (if any) with this team. I can't see how anyone can blame the coaches, at least for our offense, after seeing Adams spaz out on the field yesterday. "The Adams Head Duck" - his contribution to the NFL.

IMO, the people with the money who chose our draft picks are the ones to blame. But maybe not either ... remember we wanted to keep our team together, "for one more run"? Well that cost us good money, and now we are where we are. Was it worth the gamble? Well, at the time, it probably was a supportable strategy.

But it didn't pan out, we don't have that 7th ring, the window has closed, and we are what we are for a few years. So be it.

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SanAntonioSteelerFan View Post
    I would propose that we are ... at the O-line position (along with the Giants who have the same problem). It's not a coincidence that the teams that have been to the SB most in the past 6 years or so are now the ones suffering the most. Add bad drafting/bad luck - and it's easy to see why we are why we are.

Chuck Noll as HC, with Lombardi as DC and Landry as OC, could not do much better (if any) with this team. I can't see how anyone can blame the coaches, at least for our offense, after seeing Adams spaz out on the field yesterday. "The Adams Head Duck" - his contribution to the NFL.

IMO, the people with the money who chose our draft picks are the ones to blame. But maybe not either ... remember we wanted to keep our team together, "for one more run"? Well that cost us good money, and now we are where we are. Was it worth the gamble? Well, at the time, it probably was a supportable strategy.

But it didn't pan out, we don't have that 7th ring, the window has closed, and we are what we are for a few years. So be it.
    Some rational thought! How dare you post here?
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SanAntonioSteelerFan View Post

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

so the tomlin apologists have no answers for this shocking admission from the head ball coach that a key player that dressed was in no way prepared to play?

that is inexcusable for a head coach in the NFL.

hypocrisy and double standards rule the day here on the planet, as usual.

Rookie

User Info Menu

You would know...

Legend

User Info Menu

Glad Moye didnt dress so Whimper could.....

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Really? How so?

I'm a tomlin guy, but this in inexcusable. Its completely indefensible and anyone without an agenda would admit it.

why is he dressing a guy that has no chance to play?

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pittpete View Post
    Glad Moye didnt dress so Whimper could.....
    Wait....You don't agree with dressing a player that is incapable of playing at T (where he was worst in the league last year) or G (where he has had months to prepare)?

If thats the case, you might as well dress up a bum and put him on the Steelers sidelines to collect a payday. It could be like a new charity that the Steelers organization and the NFL can promote. That would actually have more benefit than apparently having Whimper on the sidelines that to the HC's own admissions, is incapable of playing.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I can't believe tomlin admitted it.

there is no excuse.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Sure there is...all the coaches get together & discuss the gameplan, injuries & so forth. From there they decide what personnel they need for the active roster on gameday - it's not throwing darts at a board. It boiled down to the fact that Adams is better than Whimper regardless & it likely would've gotten worse if Whimper were in there. Even considering that, the team was in the game so it's probably best if we stop with the conspiracy theories regarding the selection of the players.

That said, I agree Colbert could have done a much better job both in the draft & with FAs, but they were determined to younger & more athletic, expecting that the investment of good draft picks would pay off. The truth is that regardless of what you may think now, because of the injury to Pouncey - the linchpin of the line both literally & figuratively - the plan that was in place for this line has completely changed. Quality back-up offensive linemen are hard to find & even harder when you don't really have the funds to do it - they were lucky to get Velasco & he's been a great signing so far.
    It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust & sweat & blood...