Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 40

Thread: PG+: Tomlin's postgame admission sheds light on personnel woes

  1. #11
    Both of the previous posts are indictments of the FO...

  2. #12
    This is all about one word: TALENT. This team lacks talent. Blame the coaches all you wan't but it's hard to make chicken salad out of chicken sh!t. There's no need for knee-jerk reactions here either "Fire Tomlin! Fire Colbert! Fire the Rooney's!!!" Nope. This game is about cycles. Teams just can not stay great for a long time in this league.

    I've said it before and I'll say it again, this is about a lack of quality talent and depth. Feltdizz was absolutely right in his post above. Sure, we have our share of top flight talent, but the lack of quality depth is what's crushing us right now. Injuries are a massive part of the NFL landscape. If you are paying your top-line players big money, you simply can't afford to have real quality depth on the team.

    When a team like the Steelers has been good for a long time, they are forced to pay their top players a lot of money. When that happens, it affects the team elsewhere and you lose depth. For me, I'm happy to have a few down years as a trade-off for 3 Superbowl appearances and 2 Superbowl wins in the last 9 years. Obviously I'd like to win it all every year, who wouldn't? But that's not the reality in today's NFL. You can't develop young talent and stash them as depth anymore. When injuries or free-agent defections occur it's just not realistic to think that the replacement will be as good as the player he's replacing was. Can he develop into a better player than his predecessor? Absolutely! But it takes time to do so. That's what's happening now. Some of the younger players are playing some bad football (as young players almost always do) but that's how they learn. Back in the day the Steelers could afford to stash young guys on the bench and only install them as starters when the vets moved on. Much harder to do that now.

  3. #13
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,454
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    "Anybody else we would have put in there would have been below the line of preparation, so there's no answers in that regard" - Tomlin.

    It's the 4th week of the season and the coaching staff has just admitted that they don't have a single player that can come in and play tackle in a game scenario b/c they only dress ONE back-up for all positions. Beachum is literally the back up Tackle, Guard and Center. How insane is this?

    You have Whimper dressing and they are afraid to put him in. Afraid. How @#$^ awful must he be that they can't trust him enough to spell Adams for even a play after the whipping Adams was taking? And instead of keeping Malecki (who's no savior but was on the roster from November on last year) they bring in C. Wallace (another team's re-tread) and then don't dress him for a single game. Why do we have Joe Long on the Practice Squad - is he really a worse tackle than a player they won't put into a game even after an injury or one they never dress?

    I've always been a Tomlin supporter but this is one of the more embarrassing things I've heard come out of a coach's mouth in a very long time. If you're dressing guys for games that are so ill prepared to play you refuse to put them in; you're team is in shambles (at least at that position).

    Guys--I told you when we ignored OL in the draft that the front office was going with the "wish and hope" strategy on the OL. Total fail on Colbert's part. What is happening shouldn't be a total surprise.
    Last edited by Oviedo; 09-30-2013 at 12:10 PM.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

  4. #14
    Administrator steelz09's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    3,507
    Quote Originally Posted by steelsnis View Post
    This is all about one word: TALENT. This team lacks talent. Blame the coaches all you wan't but it's hard to make chicken salad out of chicken sh!t. There's no need for knee-jerk reactions here either "Fire Tomlin! Fire Colbert! Fire the Rooney's!!!" Nope. This game is about cycles. Teams just can not stay great for a long time in this league.

    I've said it before and I'll say it again, this is about a lack of quality talent and depth. Feltdizz was absolutely right in his post above. Sure, we have our share of top flight talent, but the lack of quality depth is what's crushing us right now. Injuries are a massive part of the NFL landscape. If you are paying your top-line players big money, you simply can't afford to have real quality depth on the team.

    When a team like the Steelers has been good for a long time, they are forced to pay their top players a lot of money. When that happens, it affects the team elsewhere and you lose depth. For me, I'm happy to have a few down years as a trade-off for 3 Superbowl appearances and 2 Superbowl wins in the last 9 years. Obviously I'd like to win it all every year, who wouldn't? But that's not the reality in today's NFL. You can't develop young talent and stash them as depth anymore. When injuries or free-agent defections occur it's just not realistic to think that the replacement will be as good as the player he's replacing was. Can he develop into a better player than his predecessor? Absolutely! But it takes time to do so. That's what's happening now. Some of the younger players are playing some bad football (as young players almost always do) but that's how they learn. Back in the day the Steelers could afford to stash young guys on the bench and only install them as starters when the vets moved on. Much harder to do that now.
    I'm sorry but this is a complete BS argument IMO and just another excuse. Can you really say objectively that this team lacks so much talent that 0-4 is acceptable? The Jaguars lack talent. The same goes for the Giants. The Giants and Steelers are very similar this year. They both have some talent on defense. They both have a franchise QB. They both have some talent at WR. They are a combined 0-8 which is incredible. It's no more acceptable for the Giants to be 0-4 as it is the Steelers.

    From a record standpoint, we are no better or worse than the Jaguars. The Jaguars! I'm sorry but we have more talent than several teams. I'm not saying we have talent to win a SB (obviously) but we are not bottom of the barrel from a talent perspective. However, our record is bottom of the barrel and worst in the league.... along with the Giants and the Jaguars. That clearly falls on player execution and coaching. I think we need some more talent (particularly o-line) but talent is not the #1 issue.

  5. #15
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,953
    Great coaching can make average talent look good. Bad coaching can make good talent look ordinary.

    In my opinion, the biggest problem is a leadership void on the team. Having gotten rid of Farrior and Harrison in the same season was a big mistake. Best to stagger the departures. The Steelers have always been good at that. Same goes for the OL. Look at who is the most tenured guy on the line, Foster with 4 years under his belt. There is not a single 'ironman' on the OL and it has been that way for a long time. When Starks started his career at RT, the rest of the line had a combined 24 yrs of experience!! Talk about mentorship, that's the key. Don't underestimate the value of having teammates able to mentor the young guys through these struggles.

  6. #16
    A house cleaning after this season is in order. I hope the Steelers have Cowher's phone number.

  7. #17
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,324
    Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    I'm sorry but this is a complete BS argument IMO and just another excuse. Can you really say objectively that this team lacks so much talent that 0-4 is acceptable? The Jaguars lack talent. The same goes for the Giants. The Giants and Steelers are very similar this year. They both have some talent on defense. They both have a franchise QB. They both have some talent at WR. They are a combined 0-8 which is incredible. It's no more acceptable for the Giants to be 0-4 as it is the Steelers.

    From a record standpoint, we are no better or worse than the Jaguars. The Jaguars! I'm sorry but we have more talent than several teams. I'm not saying we have talent to win a SB (obviously) but we are not bottom of the barrel from a talent perspective. However, our record is bottom of the barrel and worst in the league.... along with the Giants and the Jaguars. That clearly falls on player execution and coaching. I think we need some more talent (particularly o-line) but talent is not the #1 issue.
    I think it's a combination and all are to blame..players, coaches, FO, etc.

  8. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    I think it's a combination and all are to blame..players, coaches, FO, etc.
    You are right...enough blame to go around. Players playing poorly, coaches coaching poorly...loser mentality has seeped into the Burgh. We are now the Browns.

  9. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    You are right...enough blame to go around. Players playing poorly, coaches coaching poorly...loser mentality has seeped into the Message Board. We are now the Browns.
    Fixed that for you...

  10. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Fixed that for you...
    Last time I checked, this message board didn't take the field. The Steelers are 0-4, and they can't blame that one on Crash.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •