Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Chew on this

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    FWIW I did not hear too many fans boasting about being number one last year. I heard more fans talking about how much of a sham the ranking was.
    this is true. the steelers ranking last year (and quite frankly the last two) has been a paper tiger ranking. #1 in stats that in and of themselves are meaningless. when you blow leads, can't sack and can't get turnovers - I don't care how many yards you allow, you're going to lose the game. that's NOT a top ranked defense.
    2014 MNF EXEC CHAMPION!!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pittpete View Post
    The Steelers are the 6th ranked defense in the NFL.
    The Steelers have 4 sacks through 4 games.
    The Steelers have 0 takeaways through 4 games...
    Do we still think yards allowed per game is a stat indicative of a top defense?
    I think points allowed per game is indicative of a top defense, in fact it is the top metric. Points, not yards, are what determine the outcome of the game.
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AzStillers1989 View Post
    lol padding post counts? Why the hell would anyone care how many posts they have... It's like saying you have more friends on Facebook than someone else.
    I feel sad for anyne who couldn't see the sarcasm in that post but I understand... been a rough season. AB's first down celebration, Tomlin's bug eye's.. post counts on a message board... whatever it takes to get over another loss.

I'm getting the feeling some people don't want to talk about this D...lol.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pittpete View Post
    The defense played well enough to for the team to be 3-1?
    Against Chicago?
    They choked big time on 2 3rd and longs when the game was on the line.
    Please
    And the offense spotted the Bears 14 points. Those counted a LOT MORE than 2 3rd and longs.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Fantasy football has dumbed down sports so much. No one who cares about the GAME care about stats. No one cares who has the least yards. Points are what matters. This D isn't a bad defense. They can't get turnovers which is troubling and they aren't going to get pressure when teams are dinking and dunking. If the offense could score points at the BEGINNING of the game, teams may have to take shots DOWN FIELD opening up those chances for pressure. Right now, dinking and dunking, is a lot better than a run game for the other team.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Starlifter View Post
    this is true. the steelers ranking last year (and quite frankly the last two) has been a paper tiger ranking. #1 in stats that in and of themselves are meaningless. when you blow leads, can't sack and can't get turnovers - I don't care how many yards you allow, you're going to lose the game. that's NOT a top ranked defense.
    At this point, our defense can't possible force more turnovers than our offense is giving up. It'd be nice to get a couple here and there though.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by birtikidis View Post
    And the offense spotted the Bears 14 points. Those counted a LOT MORE than 2 3rd and longs.
    I agree, they kind of touched on it with the offense today. Consistently starting on their own 20 really hurts the offense. If the offense turns the ball over on their half of the field the D is already put into a bad situation with the opponents so close to field goal range. The defense can only do so much, when they are relied on for leveling out the turnover margin every game and creating splash plays because the O turns it over constantly that's a crappy position to be in.

they are certainly getting better, but it's not quite there yet.
    1. CB – Marcus Peters – Washington – 6/190
    2. OG – Josue Matias – Florida State – 6-6/320
    3. OLB – Geneo Grissom – Oklahoma – 6-4/250
    4. DL – Ellis McCarthy – UCLA – 6-5/330
    5. TE – Jeff Heurman – Ohio State – 6-5/255
    6. FS – Adrian Amos – Penn State – 6/200
    7. DT – Terry Williams – East Carolina – 6-1/340

UDFA
    DB – Justin Cox – Mississippi St. – 6-2/190
    OLB – Davis Tull – Chattanooga – 6-2/242

Rookie

User Info Menu

The Steelers have never led in the second half...

HoFer or not, there are zero DCs in the league who look good calling a game down by 10 all the time...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by birtikidis View Post
    Fantasy football has dumbed down sports so much. No one who cares about the GAME care about stats. No one cares who has the least yards. Points are what matters. This D isn't a bad defense. They can't get turnovers which is troubling and they aren't going to get pressure when teams are dinking and dunking. If the offense could score points at the BEGINNING of the game, teams may have to take shots DOWN FIELD opening up those chances for pressure. Right now, dinking and dunking, is a lot better than a run game for the other team.
    This is why I quit FF a few years ago (after winning my league and going out on top of course). I was missing the story of the game and instead rooting for different players to make yards and TDs. Although I still feel Goodell has diluted our game and made it pansy, at least Im not chasing his goals and rooting for a bunch of high scoring games. Being a soccer player, I kind of believe that low scoring games can be more exciting cause every score means so much more than what a shootout has to offer.
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Starlifter View Post
    Right on the money. This defense has been in decline for several years now and it won't get better until we put someone in charge of it who will make more than cosmetic changes.

Time to see that the game has passed Lebeau by and doing what he did 5-6 years ago doesn't work. The league knows his game as well as he does. There are other coaches just as smart or smarter than he is. You design a scheme to fit your players that you have not wait several years hoping your players grow into your scheme.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"