Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Options at Left Tackle

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    First of all, Max Starks is a St Louis Ram. I don't know why so many people are saying we should sign him if available. He's on another team.

Second, Max Starks is at best, an serviceable Left Tackle. He was our Left Tackle last year, and while he wasn't Mike-Adams-bad, he wasn't good. He was... serviceable. Our line was as big an issue as it was last year! So adding him isn't going to fix anything, realistically.
    You say he was serviceable as if that's a bad thing, it's better than the current situation which is made worse by the fact that the Steelers have a tackle on the roster collecting a check who evidently isn't prepared enough to step into a game in which the LT is getting abused routinely. Max would be an upgrade, unfortunately, he's a Ram.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    My understanding was that Starks was simply not re-signed. He was allowed to be a free-agent. I don't think that was a mistake, given the team wanted to give Adams/Gilbert a clean shot. (Without a vet like Starks looming.) They signed Whimper, which probably can be questioned. After they had Whimper in the fold, Starks got cut by the team who signed him, the Chargers. What do you expect for them to do at that point? Cut Whimper and sign Starks?
    Starks is unfortunately a moot point now.

However, the decision to hand jobs to Gilbert and Adams with no real backup plan was a bad idea that is looking worse and worse. Forget about a veteran looming - how about some internal competition to push them?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Keyplay1 View Post
    Actually, it was time for ________ to go but obviously the organization missed bigtime on the options.
    Could plug Starks, Foote, Farrior, McFadden, Gay, Spaeth, Hampton, Hope, Faneca into that sentence....am I missing anyone?
    @_Hellgrammite

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
    I guess Tomblin said he wasn't prepared to play? lol.. what the heck does that mean? Tells me the coaches didn't do their jobs...
    ...or the coaches know that Whimper is incapable but he was a bargain basement pick up Colbert made they can't get rid of. Just confirms to me that Colbert has final say for personnel.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    Mike Tomlin's ego wouldn't let him sign Max back to the Steeler roster. I don't know what Tomlin has against Max, but it's obvious that something wasn't right between them and the team may be paying the price for stubbornness and ego.

Max may be washed up, but it would be difficult to believe that he would be playing any worse that Mike Adams right now.

Pappy
    You know this is a Tomlin ego issue how eaxctly???

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    I thought Beachum was a better RT than Adams when he played there last season. Just move Gilby back over to the left, put Beachum at RT and be done with it. I saw Gilby physically handle Julius Peppers one on one when Chicago moved him over to the right. At least Gilby has some strength. He'll get beat on the left sometimes, but at least he's got some fight in him and won't just watch guys run by or thru him.
    I agree. Put Gilbert on the left side. Remember how everyone thought Starks was so bad until we put him at LT and he became a solid player. Same could happen with Gilbert who like Starks is naturally left handed. Regardless get Adams out of there because he is playing scared now.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    You know this is a Tomlin ego issue how eaxctly???
    There is a lot more evidence to indicate Tomlin had an issue with Starks than Colbert. Consiering Colbert drafted the dude and he contributed to winning 2 SBs
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Administrator

User Info Menu

I agree. Put Gilbert on the left side. Remember how everyone thought Starks was so bad until we put him at LT and he became a solid player. Same could happen with Gilbert who like Starks is naturally left handed. Regardless get Adams out of there because he is playing scared now.
    I do remember that. It makes sense.... Starks was clearly better at LT than RT.

Legend

User Info Menu

...or the coaches know that Whimper is incapable but he was a bargain basement pick up Colbert made they can't get rid of. Just confirms to me that Colbert has final say for personnel.
    Based on what? It long seemed that the FO (who placed the transition tag on Starks and gave him a big deal) liked him much better than the coaching staff. Why would Colbert care if Whimper, who got no signing bonus, was released?

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    Based on what? It long seemed that the FO (who placed the transition tag on Starks and gave him a big deal) liked him much better than the coaching staff. Why would Colbert care if Whimper, who got no signing bonus, was released?
    Starks was drafted by Colbert and was part of 2 SB winning teams. Over the years, Colbert dished out some nice cash to Starks. He played here for 8 years and I think he started for 7 of them.

I'm pretty sure Colbert didn't have a dislike for him and we all Ben's feelings about Starks. I'm sorry but I find it hard to believe that Colbert wasn't interested in replacing Guy Whimper with Starks after San Diego cut him especially considering the affordability factor.