Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Options at Left Tackle

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I'd go with Beachum. But, honestly, I believe even DeCastro could move to LT and do an ok job. I am not saying it would be a thing of beauty, but Beachum or DeCastro must be given the start if we can't bring someone in over the bye and get them up to speed. If I'm the Steelers I'm trying out every LT available right now. Z Sanders, J Brown, anybody. I'd sign two of them and cut Whimper and Paulson. Adams can play blocking TE until Spaeth is healthy. Run blocking is something Adams can handle. DJ and Heath are plenty for receiving options at TE. At that point, at least we'd have several choices who are up to speed and have a little potential and some fire in their bellies. Adams apathy was what really bothered me. His technique was putrid. His balance was pathetic. But, when he got knocked aside and gave up on the plays, I was sickened in the worst way. Perhaps the stabbing has robbed Adams of some core strength and led to some of his technique and balance issues. But, he should still have enough fire to get back into the play when he is beaten.
    Last edited by steelblood; 09-30-2013 at 12:54 PM.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Legend

User Info Menu

Starks isn't that good anymore but yet...

Starks>>>>>Adams.

Nuff said, sign him if he is available.
    Trolls are people too.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post

Starks>>>>>Adams.

I agree. Max Starks was a great Steeler. He was a RT and LT on several very good teams. He was very intelligent and learned from his mistakes. No, he was never elite, but he did compete. Now, injuries and age are creeping up. He may no longer be a viable option. But, anything is better than this mess.

Shawn, I like your mock very much. Abbrederis is a money player. He was amazing against OSU. He made Roby look terrible several times in man coverage, and he is equally adept at attacking a zone. Hopefully, we get a third round comp pick for Wallace because right now, we don't have a third round pick (from Shamarko Thomas trade up).
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post

Starks>>>>>Adams.

I agree and that is my primary point. It's not about signing an elite LT. It's about making a logical decision to improve the team any way possible. It doesn't even need to be Starks but I keep bringing it up because the Starks situation is very confusing to me because I'm positive there is perosonal dislike of some sort between Starks and Tomlin.

Starks was cut by San Diego and he was right there for the picking and the Steelers coaching desided to keep Guy Whimper. He was available and he would have been CHEAP. Keeping Whimper over signing an available Starks is even more amazing considering Tomlin's comments. If Starks was on the sideline, he could have replaced Adams because he's proven the ability to do so and Ben has been comfortable with Starks there. It would be a no brainer. Instead, he's dressing a player that he's afraid to play at G or T. Why is he on the team using up a roster spot? Perplexing.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

First of all, Max Starks is a St Louis Ram. I don't know why so many people are saying we should sign him if available. He's on another team.

Second, Max Starks is at best, an serviceable Left Tackle. He was our Left Tackle last year, and while he wasn't Mike-Adams-bad, he wasn't good. He was... serviceable. Our line was as big an issue as it was last year! So adding him isn't going to fix anything, realistically.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    First of all, Max Starks is a St Louis Ram. I don't know why so many people are saying we should sign him if available. He's on another team.

Second, Max Starks is at best, an serviceable Left Tackle. He was our Left Tackle last year, and while he wasn't Mike-Adams-bad, he wasn't good. He was... serviceable. Our line was as big an issue as it was last year! So adding him isn't going to fix anything, realistically.
    Starks had a decent year last year. Not great but not poor. Max was cut by the Chargers so he was available ... but we chose Guy Whimper. The keyword is "chose". We had the option to get Starks back and have a backup tackle but we chose Whimper instead. Yup, the guy that our very own HC admitted to being ill prepared to play but for some reason but was suited up for gameday.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    Starks had a decent year last year. Not great but not poor. Max was cut by the Chargers so he was available ... but we chose Guy Whimper. The keyword is "chose". We had the option to get Starks back and have a backup tackle but we chose Whimper instead. Yup, the guy that our very own HC admitted to being ill prepared to play but for some reason but was suited up for gameday.
    My understanding was that Starks was simply not re-signed. He was allowed to be a free-agent. I don't think that was a mistake, given the team wanted to give Adams/Gilbert a clean shot. (Without a vet like Starks looming.) They signed Whimper, which probably can be questioned. After they had Whimper in the fold, Starks got cut by the team who signed him, the Chargers. What do you expect for them to do at that point? Cut Whimper and sign Starks?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Gilbert sucks worse than Adams. Gilbert is a fat slob that looks like he eats a dozen Big Mac's a day to maintain his weight. Adams looks sloppy as well but I think he could play RT, where Gilbert shouldn't be in the NFL.

Put Woodley at LT. He is great at standing up the opposition then dancing with them.
    @_Hellgrammite

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood View Post
    I agree. Max Starks was a great Steeler. He was a RT and LT on several very good teams. He was very intelligent and learned from his mistakes. No, he was never elite, but he did compete. Now, injuries and age are creeping up. He may no longer be a viable option. But, anything is better than this mess.

Shawn, I like your mock very much. Abbrederis is a money player. He was amazing against OSU. He made Roby look terrible several times in man coverage, and he is equally adept at attacking a zone. Hopefully, we get a third round comp pick for Wallace because right now, we don't have a third round pick (from Shamarko Thomas trade up).
    Thanks. I watched Abbederis get like 200 yards on the top DB in the country. His double moves are something beautiful. The way he fights for tough catches, his heart etc reminded me of Ward. The guy is a player. He will be undervalued because he isn't a blazer. He is a 4.5+ guy.
    Trolls are people too.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    Mike Tomlin's ego wouldn't let him sign Max back to the Steeler roster. I don't know what Tomlin has against Max, but it's obvious that something wasn't right between them and the team may be paying the price for stubbornness and ego.

Max may be washed up, but it would be difficult to believe that he would be playing any worse that Mike Adams right now.

Pappy
    There were ill feelings between the FO and the Starks people since the franchise deal.

Pretty sure I recall that Starks was signed to a franchise contract. But with the understanding they would work out an agreement. Then the Starks group opted for keeping the loot from the franchise deal. This did not go over big with the organization. I really don't follow that kind of stuff but I do think that was the root of the problem.

Anyone remember that situation?

Actually, it was time for Starks to go but obviously the organization missed bigtime on the options.