Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Options at Left Tackle

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    The way things are going, we'll have the pick of the litter in the draft...
    And we'd fudge it up. Seriously, our best offensive lineman didn't have a job 4 weeks ago. Hand Adams a McDonalds application and hire someone that can at least get in the way every now and then.
    [URL=http://s227.photobucket.com/user/AAFiorini/media/jigsignewplate_zpsgmcgfc1q.jpg.html]<a href=http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd207/AAFiorini/jigsignewplate_zpsgmcgfc1q.jpg target=_blank>http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/d...psgmcgfc1q.jpg</a>[/URL]

Starter

User Info Menu

Personally I think the biggest mistake this coaching staff made was switching Adams and Gilbert so late in training camp. Maybe Gilbert was crazy bad at LT but he couldn't have been much worse than Adams has played so far.

Last season's best stretch came when Adams was playing RT and could be a road-grader type of blocker. I still think that's where he belongs. As for LT I have no idea. I'm all for giving Gilbert a shot there. Like I said, he can't be worse than Adams has been.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Peter King, stating the glaringly obvious in his MMQB column today:

"Mike Adams, Steelers left tackle, is awful."

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JB13 View Post
    Peter King, stating the glaringly obvious in his MMQB column today:

"Mike Adams, Steelers left tackle, is awful."
    The standard is the standard and awful is the new standard.
    [URL=http://s227.photobucket.com/user/AAFiorini/media/jigsignewplate_zpsgmcgfc1q.jpg.html]<a href=http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd207/AAFiorini/jigsignewplate_zpsgmcgfc1q.jpg target=_blank>http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/d...psgmcgfc1q.jpg</a>[/URL]

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    Adams and Gilbert....two more wasted 'premium picks' the know it alls around here used as a reason we didn't need to draft OL over.
    I think Adams would be better than Gilbert at RT. Adams isn't a LT. He's simply overmatched on the left side. What concerns me is that fact that most people saw this coming but our coaching staff didn't and was willing to roll the dice. I'm ok with the rolling the dice part because you never know with these young players. My problem is the backup plan was Guy Whimper instead of Starks. They signed a guy that was the worst in the league at his position. They switched him to G. They dressed him for the game but he's so ill preparted that he can't play G or T? Why dress him? Why is he even on the roster? It doesn't make any sense and Tomlin statement indirectly admits his incompetence.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    I think Adams would be better than Gilbert at RT. Adams isn't a LT. He's simply overmatched on the left side. What concerns me is that fact that most people saw this coming but our coaching staff didn't and was willing to roll the dice. I'm ok with the rolling the dice part because you never know with these young players. My problem is the backup plan was Guy Whimper instead of Starks. They signed a guy that was the worst in the league at his position. They switched him to G. They dressed him for the game but he's so ill preparted that he can't play G or T? Why dress him? Why is he even on the roster? It doesn't make any sense and Tomlin statement indirectly admits his incompetence.
    I thought Beachum was a better RT than Adams when he played there last season. Just move Gilby back over to the left, put Beachum at RT and be done with it. I saw Gilby physically handle Julius Peppers one on one when Chicago moved him over to the right. At least Gilby has some strength. He'll get beat on the left sometimes, but at least he's got some fight in him and won't just watch guys run by or thru him.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post

I will kindly correct you steelz09 and say that this statement doesn't indirectly admit; it screams, with a bull-horn, from the roof-top, the incompetence of many, many people. Anyone involved with determining the final 53 and dressing a player that by the coaching staff's own admission is unfit to place a toe on the field. This guy signed back in May. Between his horrible resume and 6 months on this team, it's criminal he has a roster spot.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    Mike Tomlin's ego wouldn't let him sign Max back to the Steeler roster. I don't know what Tomlin has against Max, but it's obvious that something wasn't right between them and the team may be paying the price for stubbornness and ego.

Max may be washed up, but it would be difficult to believe that he would be playing any worse that Mike Adams right now.

Pappy
    How can Max be washed up? He's only 31 which isn't that old for a o-lineman. He played ok for us last year and thats playing the hardest position on the line. I know he hasn't played well for other teams this year but the reality is.... we need a better LT and Max has proven that he can play LT. He's certainly not elite but he has not been as bad as a LT for the Steelers like some around here indicate.

I don't know what the issue between Tomlin and Max is/was... but it was clearly something. Just think if we had Max Starks instead of Guy Whimper right now which was obtainable. We could have moved Adams to RT where he belongs and put Max in at LT. That not only improves the LT situation but it also upgrades RT.

Why would Mikey want to improve 2 positions? A HC isn't supposed to do that, right? That might actually allow us to win a game.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    I will kindly correct you steelz09 and say that this statement doesn't indirectly admit; it screams, with a bull-horn, from the roof-top, the incompetence of many, many people. Anyone involved with determining the final 53 and dressing a player that by the coaching staff's own admission is unfit to place a toe on the field. This guy signed back in May. Between his horrible resume and 6 months on this team, it's criminal he has a roster spot.
    Ghost, you're forgetting, "The standard is the standard", and Whimper fits the new standard perfectly. Is there something I'm missing?

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

"Below the line of preparation" is the new "the standard is the standard"...