Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ben's On Pace - 36 TOs

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Legend

User Info Menu

Ben's On Pace - 36 TOs

9 Turnovers in the first quarter of the season. On pace for 36 for the year. Wonder what the worst +/- differential is in the history of the game. Seems like we're on a pace to break that record.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    9 Turnovers in the first quarter of the season. On pace for 36 for the year. Wonder what the worst +/- differential is in the history of the game. Seems like we're on a pace to break that record.

-30....The Steelers did it in 1965, tied with a team from the 40s

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by D Rock View Post
    -30....The Steelers did it in 1965, tied with a team from the 40s
    We might blow right thru that number. Plus Ben's on pace to be sacked 60 times this year. Thank god we brought in Haley so Ben could take less hits

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Its got to be in the 20s. The way Ben has been handling the ball, we could actually break that record.
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

Legend

User Info Menu

I got one word to say - Adams.

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Backup

User Info Menu

Eli and Flacco might beat him to it.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SanAntonioSteelerFan View Post
    I got one word to say - Adams.
    I can't blame it all on Adams. Roethlisberger knows his LT is pathetic, that ball should be out of his hands in under 3 sec. Nobody open? throw it away. What are the current odds on Ben playing 16 games this season?

At the beginning of the season, everyone was saying the team would only go as far as Ben. Ben looks confused, the WRs are confused, the entire OL is confused. No surprise at the current TO rate given those observations.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    I can't blame it all on Adams. Roethlisberger knows his LT is pathetic, that ball should be out of his hands in under 3 sec. Nobody open? throw it away. What are the current odds on Ben playing 16 games this season?

At the beginning of the season, everyone was saying the team would only go as far as Ben. Ben looks confused, the WRs are confused, the entire OL is confused. No surprise at the current TO rate given those observations.

Actually. Hes not even given 3 seconds, is one of the major problems. I can't attest fully to this game, Ill have to rewatch. But The sack usually comes in a hair over 2 seconds, which is an absurdly small window.

Legend

User Info Menu

Let's be a little fair to the OL for a second (or 3).

Go & rewatch some of these sacks. Ben doesn't have a WR getting open in under 5 seconds. The OL can't block endlessly. By the time Ben drops back 5 steps, his WR's are off running their routes. Problem is, they are all covered. To be fair to Antonio Brown, if he's 1 on 1, he will get open to a degree. Sanders can't get open. Cotchery, if given time, can find some soft zones, but he needs time.

The OL needs Ben to get the ball out quicker. Ben needs his WR's to get open quicker. Without trying to harp on about it, imagine what an AJ Green could do for Ben. And in helping out Ben, imagine what an AJ Green could do for the OL. The running game as well, would see less pressed Defenses, giving more room.

That sack in the red zone by Jared Allen today in the 2nd Quarter. Ben's in the shotgun. Ok, Adams was pushed out of the way by Allen, but Foster had Allen covered regardless. Ben has to pump fake to help Sanders get seperation, and even then, Sanders stays in the same spot, achieving nothing. Brown is behind his CB in the end zone. So Ben has to lob the CB to get to Brown. The only player that got open, quickly, was Bell in the flat. If Ben had tossed the ball to Bell, instead of pump faking, instead of Allen getting 2.5 sacks, he'd have 1.5 & Bell would have had the ball 5 yards out from the End Zone with only a LB that was 5 yards off him at best anywhere near him.

Is the OL good?

No.

But the Offensive weapons, the WR's, QB & RB's could make the job for the OL much easier. Chadman will say it again, despite the ever growing resentment toward them, that the OL is doing ok. They give Ben time. It's the guys around Ben that aren't helping him out- the guys he has to throw to.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    Let's be a little fair to the OL for a second (or 3).

Go & rewatch some of these sacks. Ben doesn't have a WR getting open in under 5 seconds. The OL can't block endlessly. By the time Ben drops back 5 steps, his WR's are off running their routes. Problem is, they are all covered. To be fair to Antonio Brown, if he's 1 on 1, he will get open to a degree. Sanders can't get open. Cotchery, if given time, can find some soft zones, but he needs time.

The OL needs Ben to get the ball out quicker. Ben needs his WR's to get open quicker. Without trying to harp on about it, imagine what an AJ Green could do for Ben. And in helping out Ben, imagine what an AJ Green could do for the OL. The running game as well, would see less pressed Defenses, giving more room.

That sack in the red zone by Jared Allen today in the 2nd Quarter. Ben's in the shotgun. Ok, Adams was pushed out of the way by Allen, but Foster had Allen covered regardless. Ben has to pump fake to help Sanders get seperation, and even then, Sanders stays in the same spot, achieving nothing. Brown is behind his CB in the end zone. So Ben has to lob the CB to get to Brown. The only player that got open, quickly, was Bell in the flat. If Ben had tossed the ball to Bell, instead of pump faking, instead of Allen getting 2.5 sacks, he'd have 1.5 & Bell would have had the ball 5 yards out from the End Zone with only a LB that was 5 yards off him at best anywhere near him.

Is the OL good?

No.

But the Offensive weapons, the WR's, QB & RB's could make the job for the OL much easier. Chadman will say it again, despite the ever growing resentment toward them, that the OL is doing ok. They give Ben time. It's the guys around Ben that aren't helping him out- the guys he has to throw to.
    Aside from Adams, I think the rest of the line has been improving. It's nearly impossible to see the WR routes on tv, so I have no idea who's getting open and who isn't and how long it's taking from play to play. We get some glimpses on replays, but it's never enough to really know for sure. I'd be interested to hear more from the guys that go to the games where you can really get a better feel for the routes.

I do know that AB is explosive off the LOS and I would guess he's able to get position on just about any DB instantly. Sanders shouldn't have problems getting off the LOS either because he's a very physical guy and has plenty of speed. I do think we'd get more out of him in the slot. Wheaton doesn't get on the field enough, but he's another guy like AB who's explosive enough he shouldn't get trapped at the LOS. Might take a little time and experience for him to get into a groove.

Cotch and Heath are both slow as molasses off the LOS. But in time, they can both get open. Whatever it is, I think Ben has to trust his WRs a little more and throw to where they are supposed to be. More often than not, Ben waits for the guy to get wide open before throwing. It's just his style of play that leads him to hold the ball a little longer.