Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Is LeBeau this senile?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    No, I give LeBeau credit for putting players in the correct position to make a tackle...that is what he is supposed to do: put players in the correct position...

The players didn't get it done...LeBeau can't tackle for them...
    I'm in complete agreement here. DL is fine. The players aren't tackling. That's the real problem. And it's everyone. Tackling running backs and tackling after the catch. If we were a good tackling team, we woulda blown out Minny on Sunday. Probably the same with Chicago and Cincy even with all of our problems on O and turnovers.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I'm sorry but I don't buy the DL put them in position. In this particular game missed tackles was one of the main reason. But when Matt Cassel post game comments were something to the effect of we knew weekness on this defense ( translation) ten yard cushion plus soft zones = short quick passing. And what adjustment did old DL make???? None at all no tight man coverage no pressure. So to me it don't sound like he's putting them in position to be successful.
    [url=http://img525.imageshack.us/i/steelers2010.jpg/]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2...eelers2010.jpg[/url]

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steelhere10 View Post
    I'm sorry but I don't buy the DL put them in position. In this particular game missed tackles was one of the main reason. But when Matt Cassel post game comments were something to the effect of we knew weekness on this defense ( translation) ten yard cushion plus soft zones = short quick passing. And what adjustment did old DL make???? None at all no tight man coverage no pressure. So to me it don't sound like he's putting them in position to be successful.
    The weakness of the defense is the fact that there isn't one person that can win a 1-on-1 battle except Ike. He's the only player on the defense right now playing at any level that is acceptable in the NFL. Troy is all over the place and looks pretty cool running around like a chicken with his head cut off, but he isn't really making any plays. Ryan Clark has been out of position and has missed tackles that have turned into game changing plays for the other team. Ike has shut down receivers for the most part and welcomes the challenge. Yes, I know he gave up the big one in Chicago that prolonged the drive that put the game away, it happens.

Jones hasn't sniffed a quarterback since he's been made the starter, McClendon, Hood and Heyward, forget it, they get blocked easily and Woodley with his sack isn't really providing any pressure, these guys are losing 1-on-1 battles. There is no scheme in the world that can help you if you can't win a battle against another NFL player. The Steelers defense is getting manhandled in my opinion; I'm not sure what you do about that.

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    The weakness of the defense is the fact that there isn't one person that can win a 1-on-1 battle except Ike. He's the only player on the defense right now playing at any level that is acceptable in the NFL. Troy is all over the place and looks pretty cool running around like a chicken with his head cut off, but he isn't really making any plays. Ryan Clark has been out of position and has missed tackles that have turned into game changing plays for the other team. Ike has shut down receivers for the most part and welcomes the challenge. Yes, I know he gave up the big one in Chicago that prolonged the drive that put the game away, it happens.

Jones hasn't sniffed a quarterback since he's been made the starter, McClendon, Hood and Heyward, forget it, they get blocked easily and Woodley with his sack isn't really providing any pressure, these guys are losing 1-on-1 battles. There is no scheme in the world that can help you if you can't win a battle against another NFL player. The Steelers defense is getting manhandled in my opinion; I'm not sure what you do about that.

Pappy
    But an adjustment can be made by not having Troy "running all over the place" and having him in position to make plays downfield either by getting an INT or stopping the big play. He can't intercept a pass engaging with a TE or RB at the LOS.

That is what LeBeau CAN DO but hasn't through 4 games.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    But an adjustment can be made by not having Troy "running all over the place" and having him in position to make plays downfield either by getting an INT or stopping the big play. He can't intercept a pass engaging with a TE or RB at the LOS.

Agree!! Not using there talent wisely that has been the song with the Steelers these past 4 games..put the play makers in a position to make a play damit...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

And Pappy to be honest I think Cortez is a better bump and run corner than he is playing off. Just take a look at that stretch last year starting with the NE game when I thought Dick have finally turned the corner. Now Cortez look passive.
    [url=http://img525.imageshack.us/i/steelers2010.jpg/]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2...eelers2010.jpg[/url]

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post

Agreed, my assumption is that since DL understands that McClendon/Hood/Heyward/Keisel aren't Hampton/Smith/Keisel and without run support in the middle of the field they would get gouged even more than they are right now. Even with Troy there, the Vikes ran for a buck 40, with him protecting the deep zone it could have been 240.

The defense is getting beat one on one and it's causing them to try and do things that they don't really want to do to try and stop the run. No one is getting off blocks consistently enough to allow Troy to move back, they need him as a linebacker, which at 190 pounds is fruitless.

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount