Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Is LeBeau this senile?

Legend

User Info Menu

Vontaze Burfict 2nd season
    Kiko Alonso Rookie
    Justin Houston 3rd season

Know what these players all have in common?

They are all players that would have no shot if they played in a complicated D.Lebeau defense.
    They're also leading the league in
    Tackles
    Interceptions
    Sacks

We waste young talent, others use it to their advantage.
    This is why some are tired of this tired defensive scheme.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pittpete View Post
    Vontaze Burfict 2nd season
    Kiko Alonso Rookie
    Justin Houston 3rd season

Know what these players all have in common?

They are all players that would have no shot if they played in a complicated D.Lebeau defense.
    They're also leading the league in
    Tackles
    Interceptions
    Sacks

Too simplistic. We did draft Sean Spence last year, a guy of the same status as the guys you mention. And if he didn't have his unfortunate injury, he would be primed to step in for Foote this season.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

instead,we have vince williams

ouch

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pittpete View Post

What young talent? Who has sat on the Steelers and gone on to excel elsewhere?

Jones is playing - starting - as a rookie. Shmarko has seen significant time. And Vince Williams is starting over the more senior Kion Wilson and instead of the Steelers bringing back a guy like Sylvester.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Crash, if my QB were doling out turnovers like he worked at Arby's, I'd probably defer, too...
    You seem to be trying to turn the conversation back to the offense all the time. Yes, the offense certainly shares a lot of the blame. No one would argue that. But that should not excuse the defense's poor play. They can't pressure the QB and they can't force turnovers. The 10-yard cushions allow the Steeler defense to be dinked-and-dunked to death. LeBeau's schemes are too soft and look like he's coaching scared.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steelhere10 View Post
    Matt freaking Cassel, No pressure packages, 10 yard cushions. Haley need to get it during the bye and LeBeau need to get it after the season.
    And the miss tackles were epic or we are talking a different tune...

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sword View Post
    And the miss tackles were epic or we are talking a different tune...
    The thing about missed tackles is that, in order to miss them, the player had to be in position to make them...it wasn't the scheme this game...it was the execution...

This is why I always rail on about not giving up big plays and not turning the ball over...big plays are what kills the defense...two big plays generated 14 points for the opposing team...two turnovers led to another 7 for the Vikes and the missed opportunity to tie the game at the end...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    The thing about missed tackles is that, in order to miss them, the player had to be in position to make them...it wasn't the scheme this game...it was the execution...
    That sounds like an excuse to me...

are you seriously trying to give these guys credit for being on the field and in a position to make the tackle?

Geez.. I've heard it all now.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    That sounds like an excuse to me...

are you seriously trying to give these guys credit for being on the field and in a position to make the tackle?

Geez.. I've heard it all now.
    No, I give LeBeau credit for putting players in the correct position to make a tackle...that is what he is supposed to do: put players in the correct position...

The players didn't get it done...LeBeau can't tackle for them...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    Too simplistic. We did draft Sean Spence last year, a guy of the same status as the guys you mention. And if he didn't have his unfortunate injury, he would be primed to step in for Foote this season.
    Interesting to see whether they rush Spence back as one of the "changes"

Reality is that there is little a NFL team can really do personnel wise. Especially given the cap mess we have.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"