Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: It starts with the 10yd cushion...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Softest most inept defense in the league.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Just looked at the stats from the game:

* Steelers had 13 more first downs than Vikings
    * Steelers held ball for 13 more minutes than Vikings
    * Steelers ran 26 more plays than Vikings
    * Steelers had 40 more total yards than Vikings
    * Steelers had 1 fewer penalty and 39 fewer penalty yards

However, Steelers had 2 more turnovers than the Vikings and the Vikings had 68 more yards on the ground. Yards per carry favored Vikings - 5.8 to 3.7. Steelers had one sack, Vikings had five.

Offense was fairly competitive, except the O line play, but the defense gave up big plays, didn't get to the QB and didn't turn the ball over. "Soft" definitely comes to mind when describing this D. I'm happy Troy is healthy, but he's not making nearly as many impact plays has he once did. Not putting the blame on him, but I think it's symptomatic of what's wrong with the defense this year.
    Last edited by JB13; 09-30-2013 at 09:18 AM.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I hate the cushion....I would rather play one on one and get beat than give cushion....
    Look at the CB for New England last night..he went after the ball like a great receiver and intercepted it...
    Why can't we do that?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sword View Post
    I hate the cushion....I would rather play one on one and get beat than give cushion....
    Look at the CB for New England last night..he went after the ball like a great receiver and intercepted it...
    Why can't we do that?
    Because Ike can't catch.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skyhawk View Post
    Softest most inept defense in the league.
    Sorry skyhawk but that is one of the most ignorant posts ever. You obviously havn't watched most of the defenses in the league to say that. I'm not saying the defense played well. They obviously played like sh*t in this game. It certainly wasn't the players or LeBeau's finest hour but to we are far from the most inept defense in the league.

We are still one of the better defenses but not near the top like we used to be. We don't get pressure on the QB and we aren't allowed to hit receivers hard anymore (that call on the hit on Heath was BS). We are certainly not feared anymore although I can only think of 2 defenses that are (Seattle and San Fran). So is the problem with the players or coaches or both? Since we have been playing the zone blitz with a soft cushion since LeBeau came back I really can't see how it is the system. It doesn't take Offensive Coordinators 10 years to "figure it out" and start beating it. No, they've known for a long time how to do that. I think it has more to do with the players not handling their responsibilities. That's not to say that LeBeau called a perfect game. Far from it but if we would have tackled like we normally do we would have won this game.

Note: To all you Gay bashers out there I would have rather had Gay on his worst day than what Cortez showed us yesterday.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85 View Post
    Sorry skyhawk but that is one of the most ignorant posts ever. You obviously havn't watched most of the defenses in the league to say that. I'm not saying the defense played well. They obviously played like sh*t in this game. It certainly wasn't the players or LeBeau's finest hour but to we are far from the most inept defense in the league.

We are still one of the better defenses but not near the top like we used to be. We don't get pressure on the QB and we aren't allowed to hit receivers hard anymore (that call on the hit on Heath was BS). We are certainly not feared anymore although I can only think of 2 defenses that are (Seattle and San Fran). So is the problem with the players or coaches or both? Since we have been playing the zone blitz with a soft cushion since LeBeau came back I really can't see how it is the system. It doesn't take Offensive Coordinators 10 years to "figure it out" and start beating it. No, they've known for a long time how to do that. I think it has more to do with the players not handling their responsibilities. That's not to say that LeBeau called a perfect game. Far from it but if we would have tackled like we normally do we would have won this game.

Note: To all you Gay bashers out there I would have rather had Gay on his worst day than what Cortez showed us yesterday.
    nah.. Skyhawk is right... our D is soft and inept EVERY time we need a key stop. It's been going on for years.

3rd and throw out any number larger than 6 in must stop situation.. we fail every time.

This D puts up solid "stats" but teams have figured us out. Take the most average QB in the league and we make them look GOOD.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

No forced turnovers in 30 or so quarters. THAT's inept.

Sure Ike can't catch, but he rarely has the opportunity TO catch. The more the DBs give up on the 10 yard cushions the more they will be able to make plays. You can't make plays if you are RARELY in position to do so.

Look at one of Ike's potential picks. He anticipated well and was not 10 yards off the ball and got his hands on it. Play a better cover 2 defense with tight coverage on the outside and safety help over the top (quit using Polamalu so much at the LOS so this can happen).

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Just saw THIS.

[url]http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/4795163-74/polamalu-plays-steelers#axzz2gLeNZzJM[/url]

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    nah.. Skyhawk is right... our D is soft and inept EVERY time we need a key stop. It's been going on for years.

3rd and throw out any number larger than 6 in must stop situation.. we fail every time.

This D puts up solid "stats" but teams have figured us out. Take the most average QB in the league and we make them look GOOD.
    I'm taking exception to "MOST" inept. We aren't even close to most inept. If you think so you haven't watched other teams play.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pittpete View Post
    At the start of todays game:
    Me: Rob watch the first play of the game, it will be a short pass.
    Rob: Dad how do you know?
    Me: Just watch bud
    Rob: Wow, dad how did you know that?
    Me: That's because the Steelers start out every game like that and other teams know it.
    Later on:
    Rob: Dad why are the corners playing so far off the WR's?
    Dad: I would love to know the same thing Rob

My son is 8 years old BTW
    What is his name?
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.