Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Adams really THAT bad?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    Maybe Michael Johnson (CIN DE) is that good. Maybe Peppers isn't as old as I think.
    You know, it doesn't really matter if those guys are better or worse than we think. When you play LT you are always going against the other team's best. So whether you are up against Michael Johnson, Julius Peppers, or Terrel Suugs, or Aldon Smith...you are always facing a quality pass rusher.

Look at how the Steelers approached this year's draft. Of course we had a new opening without JH, but the talk was all about who is the best pass rusher coming out of college who we can put across from the other team's LT? Playing against a good pass rusher is no excuse as a LT because you've got another one coming next week...and the following week...and the following week...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I thought Adams looked fairly effective at RT in the run game last year. weak in pass pro. This year at LT not doing well in either run game or pass pro. That they moved him to LT said more about Gilbert than it said about Adams. He has looked passive and defensive (defenseless against any rush technique). my $0.02 from a long distance view with a short sample.

Legend

User Info Menu

If you believe their ratings, Adams was the worst OT on the field last game, grading out at a -3.0 according to PFF.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DukieBoy View Post
    I thought Adams looked fairly effective at RT in the run game last year. weak in pass pro. This year at LT not doing well in either run game or pass pro. That they moved him to LT said more about Gilbert than it said about Adams. He has looked passive and defensive (defenseless against any rush technique). my $0.02 from a long distance view with a short sample.
    I would agree, and that really changes the conversation, doesn't it? How can we be upset with the player if we say he is good at run blocking (a trait usually more effective for a RT instead of LT) and not good in pass protection, an absolute necessity for the left side, but he would receive TE help on the right side.

Shouldn't the question then be whether we should blame the coaching or the GM who does the drafting? If Manny Sanders is playing LT and failing, should we blame him?

To my untrained eye, Adams seems better suited for the right side. So in that case I think that coaching is the problem for putting him in the wrong position to succeed.

As well, that means we might very well not have a suitable player to man the most important position on the line. That comes to drafting. Not that the players should be completely absent of blame, but with such a glaring need, this should have been addressed.

Legend

User Info Menu

Is Mike Adams really that bad?

Yes, I hope that helps.

I really wish I was wrong on this guy, but everything I feared after watching him average his way through college is coming to fruition. He is a turnstyle. He has his moments in run blocking but he isn't quick enough to handle more athletic DE's. He is inconsistent, always has been. Right now though he has been consistently bad.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Chadman thinks everyone will see what they want to see. Most of the pressure this season seems to be coming up the middle, or more to the point, between the OT & OG- and not necessarily the DLinemen, but LB's. That means someone should be getting open in the short areas. Very few teams have a QB that asks the OL to give them as long in the pocket as the Steelers.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Darius Robinson DT
    2. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Mike Sainristil CB
    3. Beaux Limmer OC
    4. Jordan Travis QB
    6. Travis Glover OT
    7. Josh Proctor S

Legend

User Info Menu

You may be right Chadman, but I don't think any real fan wants Adams to fail...especially me. As per his most recent ratings, he was the worst OLman of the squad. -3? I mean if people want to continue thinking he will be the solution then fine. If people want to continue making excuses for him...well ok. But, I have watched enough of him to know that at his best he has never been dominant....and that was in college.
    Trolls are people too.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    You may be right Chadman, but I don't think any real fan wants Adams to fail...especially me. As per his most recent ratings, he was the worst OLman of the squad. -3? I mean if people want to continue thinking he will be the solution then fine. If people want to continue making excuses for him...well ok. But, I have watched enough of him to know that at his best he has never been dominant....and that was in college.
    Like Shawn, I have nothing invested in Adams' failure. I did not want him in the draft, but we picked him. Unfortunately, he is (to borrow a phrase from Denny Green) who we thought he was...

And to add context to that -3 grade from last week--I believe he had a -4 last week, AND Jared Allen is next up for him.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    Like Shawn, I have nothing invested in Adams' failure. I did not want him in the draft, but we picked him. Unfortunately, he is (to borrow a phrase from Denny Green) who we thought he was...

And to add context to that -3 grade from last week--I believe he had a -4 last week, AND Jared Allen is next up for him.
    The worst part is I think Jared Allen is better than Johnson and Peppers combined. Adams needs to play twice as good this week to come close to the -3 rating.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

The pressure is coming right up the middle. Give these young OL some time.. Geesh...
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion