Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's go Bucs!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    It's like telling a Pirates fan you root for the Bengals or the Browns. They both are evil. What's next Washington Capitals fans among us?
    I can respect the Cards, they've got some good history with great classy players (Stan Musial for one) but they are the enemy. Can't respect the classless Reds, or Caps, Ravens, Browns, Bengals, Cowboys, Phillies, Rangers, Flyers, or most other teams.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DukieBoy View Post
    I can respect the Cards, they've got some good history with great classy players (Stan Musial for one) but they are the enemy. Can't respect the classless Reds, or Caps, Ravens, Browns, Bengals, Cowboys, Phillies, Rangers, Flyers, or most other teams.
    When I think of the Cards, I think of Roberto breaking Bob Gibson's leg with a line drive. I definitely don't hate the Cards as much as I do any of the other teams you mentioned. It must be because I don't really think in terms of baseball rivals any more because the Bucs have been so bad for so long. I barely remember even hating the Braves for ruining our World Series chances in the early 90s.

I can't believe 92 was the last time we saw the Pirates in the playoffs. That seems like a lifetime ago. But I still vividly remember the noodle armed Barry Bonds in shallow left field allowing Sid Bream to score all the way from 2nd base.

Hopefully this year's stars aren't planning to sleep thru the playoffs like Bonds, Bonilla, and Van Slyke did in the early 90s. How sweet would it be if the Pirates could somehow pull off a World Series victory this year?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Never been a big baseball fan, but I have to say that I really enjoyed watching the Bucco's in 79. I went to grade school with Tim Foli's daughter and would later date a very good friend of mine throughout middle and high school. That "We are family" team was fun to watch..... two things that stand out from my failing memory.... 1) Kent Tekulve was a badazz and 2) Omar Moreno had the most awkward batting stance with that front right leg extended out..... anyhow, saw a piece on E60 about Andrew McCutchen.... pretty classy and humble guy.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Hopefully this year's stars aren't planning to sleep thru the playoffs like Bonds, Bonilla, and Van Slyke did in the early 90s. How sweet would it be if the Pirates could somehow pull off a World Series victory this year?
    Those were my final days of baseball. Once those guys got sold off I became emotionally uncommitted to the Bucs. Now I look at MLB with passing interest and watch about one game a year. If they win the one game playoff against the Reds, maybe I will reinvest.
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

The Pirates are definitely in my blood. I was 8 years old when the '60 series happened, and saw parts of the games on black and white TV, saw Hal Smith's 3 run homer and Maz's HR. Saw many games at Forbes, used to take a bus down to the games. sit in RF as close to Clemente as I could get, and my father would work late and meet me at the game. Once got Clemente and Willie Mays autographs on a scorecard; they were together late after the game outside of Forbes (got thrown out with some baseball cards).The '71 series was great, Roberto's great showcase. Went to two cold and drizzly games in the '79 series, both losses, but a couple of great pitching performances pulled us through. It is great to see them back in the playoffs, and brings back many wonderful memories.

Legend

User Info Menu

Baseball is really just filler until football starts and it's not a real good filler at that

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fordfixer View Post
    Baseball is really just filler until football starts and it's not a real good filler at that
    Baseball's the main course this season. I think too many guys said they'd trade anything for the Pirates to make the playoffs after 21 years. So God finally caved and made the Steelers suck in exchange.

Legend

User Info Menu

World Series or Bust!!!!!! Let's go Buccos!!!!!!

Anyone else nervous? I've been on edge all day. Liriano's never beat the Reds although he pitches well at home. I'm also nervous about Cueto who's had some success against us. Uuuuuuhhhhh!!!! And it's making me nervous that we just swept the Reds. It's tough to beat a team 4 times in a row in baseball.

But we can do it. I believe!!! Gotta believe in something these days.

Legend

User Info Menu

When I think of the Cards, I think of Roberto breaking Bob Gibson's leg with a line drive. I definitely don't hate the Cards as much as I do any of the other teams you mentioned. It must be because I don't really think in terms of baseball rivals any more because the Bucs have been so bad for so long. I barely remember even hating the Braves for ruining our World Series chances in the early 90s.

I can't believe 92 was the last time we saw the Pirates in the playoffs. That seems like a lifetime ago. But I still vividly remember the noodle armed Barry Bonds in shallow left field allowing Sid Bream to score all the way from 2nd base.

I'd hate it but I would take an 0-16 Steelers for a Pirates World Series win. I would take solace in the prize of a real LT in the draft.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

World Series or Bust!!!!!! Let's go Buccos!!!!!!

Anyone else nervous? I've been on edge all day. Liriano's never beat the Reds although he pitches well at home. I'm also nervous about Cueto who's had some success against us. Uuuuuuhhhhh!!!! And it's making me nervous that we just swept the Reds. It's tough to beat a team 4 times in a row in baseball.

But we can do it. I believe!!! Gotta believe in something these days.
    I hate we are playing the Reds. I remember how many times in the 70s they ruined seasons for us. We always seem to struggle against the Reds.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"