Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So what if...

Legend

User Info Menu

So what if...

...we lose this Sunday and sit at 0-4? Are you hoping we turn it around and maybe finish with a mediocre 8-8 or 9-7 record for a moral victory? Or are you hoping we tank it so we have a real chance for a difference making draft pick? Personally, I do not want to be in draft "no mans land" where we can't get a difference making player and we can get the same type of player we could get 5-10 players later.

Before many start with holier than thou "we always try to win" no matter what, just remember how the Penguins got Mario Lemieux and Sid Crosby. How'd that work out? Really think they were trying to win all those games?

Sometimes you have to take a step back to take two steps forward. What are your thoughts?
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    ...we lose this Sunday and sit at 0-4? Are you hoping we turn it around and maybe finish with a mediocre 8-8 or 9-7 record for a moral victory? Or are you hoping we tank it so we have a real chance for a difference making draft pick? Personally, I do not want to be in draft "no mans land" where we can't get a difference making player and we can get the same type of player we could get 5-10 players later.

Before many start with holier than thou "we always try to win" no matter what, just remember how the Penguins got Mario Lemieux and Sid Crosby. How'd that work out? Really think they were trying to win all those games?

Sometimes you have to take a step back to take two steps forward. What are your thoughts?
    I think this is a legit question. I am not for tanking the season outright, but I am for investigating trades and playing all young players with potential if we don't turn this around and win the next two. The trade deadline this year is much later (OCT 29th, I believe). If we sit at 0-6 or so, we should actively shop all vets on short term contracts. We should stockpile picks. We should also play all the younger players with any upside or potential (Shamarko, JJ, and Wheaton should start. Fangupo, Moye, and other should see real playing time. Let them go through the growing pains NOW. Then, maybe we will be better set up to succeed next season or in the near future.
    Last edited by steelblood; 09-27-2013 at 02:52 PM.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I'm a "play to win the game guy" but I get what you are saying. Say we are at 2-4 or 1-5. Maybe it's time to make some trades, see if you can pry away some third rounders from teams wanting to make a playoff run. I don't want to cheer on a 2-14 team (I will) but I see what you are saying.
    go to [URL]http://www.thebreastcancersite.com[/URL] to donate a free mammogram a day to women without health insurance.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood View Post
    I think this is a legit question. I am not for tanking the season outright, but I am for investigating trades and playing all young players with potential if we don't turn this around and win the next two. The trade deadline this year is much later (OCT 29th, I believe). If we sit at 0-6 or so, we should actively shop all vets on short term contracts. We should stockpile picks. We should also play all the younger players with any upside or potential (Shamarko, JJ, and Wheaton should start. Fangupo, Moye, and other should see real playing time. Let them go through the growing pains NOW. Then, maybe we will be better set up to succeed next season or in the near future.
    Also not saying tanking and not trying like the Penguins did but I would also subscribe to the play the young guys who will be here awhile to get games under their belts and look for maybe one or two trades...like trading Woodley who may be our most marketable player.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

who is the Lemieux, Crosby in this draft?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

It's an interesting situation if it were to happen. I am always in the mindset of wanting the Steelers to win but sh!t happens... We will see after this Sunday if we r ready to stop shooting ourselves in the foot and actually create a few turnovers that are good for us. Hope we win 10 in a row and we all can look back on this start as ancient history ... In the mean time the Pirates have a big series against the Reds starts tonight for the right to play at home for the one game wild card playoffs..

Legend

User Info Menu

I will continue to watch every game
    I will continue to route for and hope they win every game
    I will continue to criticise the problems i see
    I will never hope they lose a game
    I will keep paying Direct TV

Legend

User Info Menu

OK, the PC "i'm a die hard Steeler fan" will say play til ya die, always rooting for a W, or something else to that effect. Me personally, it depends on what I see. If I think this is a really good 0-4 team that could make history by turning it around...then I'm hoping we go at it. But, if Bell and Miller is back and they are still looking like the worst team in football. Well, I hope they get a shot at a real franchise LT in Jake Matthews. And if that means getting kicked in the teeth so be it. And let me add, that if this team goes 8-8 there is a strong possibility of Haley coming back next season...which I doubt any of us want.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

If we lose, I'll just hope for 12-4 at that point

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    who is the Lemieux, Crosby in this draft?
    I dont believe there is one but you never know. Clowney for the longest time and likely still is the guy everyone was/is talking about.