Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: So what if...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    ...we lose this Sunday and sit at 0-4? Are you hoping we turn it around and maybe finish with a mediocre 8-8 or 9-7 record for a moral victory? Or are you hoping we tank it so we have a real chance for a difference making draft pick? Personally, I do not want to be in draft "no mans land" where we can't get a difference making player and we can get the same type of player we could get 5-10 players later.

Before many start with holier than thou "we always try to win" no matter what, just remember how the Penguins got Mario Lemieux and Sid Crosby. How'd that work out? Really think they were trying to win all those games?

Sometimes you have to take a step back to take two steps forward. What are your thoughts?
    Sorry, but your thinking is twisted. You are presuming that a team can only find a "difference maker" at the top of the draft. It just isn't true. In fact, the true difference makers from past Steeler teams have more often than not come from deep in the draft or even UDFAs. The real question that needs asked, and why the local media doesn't attack it, is what has changed in the talent scouting department since 2007? They have clearly lost that edge, wonder if there was a quiet departure when Rooney Sr left?

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    who is the Lemieux, Crosby in this draft?

Can he play center?

Couldn't pass that one up.

Legend

User Info Menu

It's what's given the ravens their 2 difference makers on their defense.

Two top 10 picks in Suggs and ngata. Go back a bit further and they drafted Ogden #5 overall.

All cornerstones of their team

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Nothing is guaranteed . . . although I'd love the Steelers to get a Long Term Franchise Left Tackle. I can never hope for the Steelers to lose unless it meant that Todd Haley would get fired and some changes started happening.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

what will it take to get Jake Mathews?

That is how hard I want them to try if they lose this week. Give the young guys experience and prepare for the next run.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Matthews along with Lewan (Michigan) and Alabama's Kouandjio (if he declares) could all be top ten picks if they finish the season strong.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I think its more important to fight tooth and nail, and make sure the other team respects you when you leave the field, win or lose. So many of you like to make fun of 'Steeler Football', but that is where we have to go back to. Who will step up to be the new Intimidator? When will we be the team again that everyone used to hate having on their schedule cause they knew it was going to be a slugfest? Too many rules now and Goodell's suppression of 'Steeler Football' has washed it all away. Now we are pansies, plain and simple...lost that edge. We have to regain that attitude and I don't think we can draft our way there. Coaches just have to figure out how to adjust and become successful. If it takes 10 games of gritty effort to find that groove, then I am all for a late season winning streak...and going into next knowing we have that edge back. I think that is way more important than trying to win games via player transactions.
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I absolutely hate seeing the Steelers lose. I stay agitated for days after a loss so for my own mental health I need them to win every game. Even if they're 0-15 I'll be pulling hard for them to win that last game. Losing is what separates the diehard Pittsburgh fans from just the more casual Steelers fan.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Discipline of Steel View Post
    I think its more important to fight tooth and nail, and make sure the other team respects you when you leave the field, win or lose. So many of you like to make fun of 'Steeler Football', but that is where we have to go back to. Who will step up to be the new Intimidator? When will we be the team again that everyone used to hate having on their schedule cause they knew it was going to be a slugfest? Too many rules now and Goodell's suppression of 'Steeler Football' has washed it all away. Now we are pansies, plain and simple...lost that edge. We have to regain that attitude and I don't think we can draft our way there. Coaches just have to figure out how to adjust and become successful. If it takes 10 games of gritty effort to find that groove, then I am all for a late season winning streak...and going into next knowing we have that edge back. I think that is way more important than trying to win games via player transactions.
    While I agree with what you are saying, sadly the rule changes work against defenses that are built that way. The minute a guy plays with an 'edge' he is a marked man by the refs and Goodell.
    Look at the last game, AB gets fined for unnecessary roughness on something that Hines Ward used to do a dozen times a season. The rules have emasculated this game.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    While I agree with what you are saying, sadly the rule changes work against defenses that are built that way. The minute a guy plays with an 'edge' he is a marked man by the refs and Goodell.
    Look at the last game, AB gets fined for unnecessary roughness on something that Hines Ward used to do a dozen times a season. The rules have emasculated this game.
    Seattle Seahawks D doesn't have a problem being physical and creating TO's