Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Pouncey

Starter

User Info Menu

Draft is a crapshoot. Im tired of drafting lineman. I say sign Pouncey with it known that he will play guard. Pouncey will do just fine there. Bring in a middle tier tackle or two to compete for jobs at both tackles and keep Velasco at center. Adams still may develop but Gilbert is what he is at this point. If you can at least find one tackle who can be an upgrade at a reasonable cost, our line problems would be solved in this scenario.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lebsteel View Post
    I've been thinking the same thing about Pouncey. The last few years I have been very underwhelmed with him, so I really hope we don't resign him. It really stinks with him being another 1st round pick that doesn't pan out...Holmes, Mendenhall, Pouncey, Hood?, Heyward (too early to tell?). We were on a great run with Troy, Ben and Heath...but now we are obviously reaping the fruits of our bad first round picks.
    3 years in the nfl 3 year pro bowler. 1 time all pro. yep didn't pan out.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Did you read the original post? This was assuming the new center pans out, and the Steelers go after a franchise LT such as Jake Matthews. As for DD, how do you know he hasn't "lived up to the hype"? He is essentially a rookie coming off of major knee surgery. Not to mention him having to play beside turnstyle Gilbert and a new center. I suppose JJ hasn't lived up to the hype either since he is yet to have a sack.

Guys who have played the position in the NFL, who follow the Steelers, who know OL talent use terms like "special", "gifted", "future pro bowler" when referring to DD. If DD, is even half the player these scouts say he is...he will be expensive to re-sign.
    Hey if we're saying that a 3 time probowler 3rd year pro hasn't "panned out" then we can say a second year pro hasn't "lived up to the hype". It fits in with the crazy talk goin on round here.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I can't discuss topics, if posters are unwilling to read the original posts. I know Adams and Gilbert are slugs. Neither will demand large contracts. Both will be very fortunate to play out their contracts as NFL starters.
    I agree absolutely. Which means we'll draft a LT high. Meaning he will have a long rookie contract to play out. Meaning we will be able to afford MP, DD and future LT

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe View Post
    It's funny you posted this Shawn b/c I was thinking this exact same thing as I was driving home tonight. I'm not a huge POUNCEY fan ... I think he's vastly overrated. I'd hate the STEELERS to lose VELASCO (if he plays well the rest of the season) and overpay POUNCEY
    I disagree about the overrated thing.
    I don't disagree with your thought of losing Velasco. I think he can be an affordable sign that moves to LG and gives us a formidable interior with pouncey and DD for year to come. If we draft a LT that starts early that means he'll have to play out a rooie contract. By the time that ends Troy will probably be gone, alot of the dead weight from the restructures will be gone and we'll have the money to go forward.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GRUMPY GOUK View Post
    Have to agree with you Shawn. I think that Pouncey will not be a wise investment. A huge contract for a linemen with 2 season ending knee surgeries in 3.5 years makes me skiddish. We need to start looking for smarter options to stretch the cap for this team to be able to rebuild into a winner once more. I think this includes making the brave decision of saying adios to Ben. I think the special quality we have seen in the past from our franchise QB is now gone. His mistakes have more often been the contributing factor of our losses over the past couple of years.
    This was his first season ending knee surgery. Prior to that he had problems with his ankle.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by birtikidis View Post
    This was his first season ending knee surgery. Prior to that he had problems with his ankle.
    our own guy took his knee out... just have a hard time casting a 3 time pro bowler aside and giving DD the knee slasher his money.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    He missed almost all of his first year, and probably is still not back to 100%. This is essentially his rookie season and he is 3 games in. Can't we at least give him an inc at this point?
    No...that would be much too level headed. Lets just call him a bust and cut him now.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

No...that would be much too level headed. Lets just call him a bust and cut him now.
    if we don't crown him then he is a bust? lol...

the next guy is always the best guy on this board...