Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bad Word's defense and the salary cap

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Bad Word's defense and the salary cap

Quick question for the board. I've been thinking about the point that is made again and again regarding our defense and how guys need to be here two or three years before they can start in our D. I wonder if such a scheme doesn't hurt us in the long run because it creates an intense pressure for the team to keep vets on D.

In a salary cap era, you need to be able to cut ties and move on at the appropriate time. But requiring two years 'in the funnel' for a replacement is going to make personeel moves difficult.

So I guess I'm interested in what others say about this. Does the complex defense cause us to overpay on our vet contracts?
    In response to his pleas, an officer said: "You think we've never arrested somebody that's made national media? ... We deal with the Bengals all the time."

[url="http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3880848"]http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3880848[/url]

Legend

User Info Menu

I don't think it's a problem so long as you're constantly bringing in the right talent and developing them. Where it does become a problem is when you draft a lot of guys that don't pan out.

I also think it's a big exaggerated to say it takes 2-3 years to learn our system vs no time to learn another team's system. I'd say it's probably a year to integrate a player in any system. In general, I think it's a luxury not to have to press rookies into action immediately. It's good to have talented and entrenched starters. Great players will work their way into the mix naturally. Our problem is we haven't brought in a lot of great players recently.

Bad teams have to scramble to work new guys into the mix right away. And it feels like we're in that position right now trying to work new guys in. And I don't see JJ, Shark, and Williams performing so badly that it's hurting us. Seems we might have gotten some talented players in those 3.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    I don't think it's a problem so long as you're constantly bringing in the right talent and developing them. Where it does become a problem is when you draft a lot of guys that don't pan out.

I also think it's a big exaggerated to say it takes 2-3 years to learn our system vs no time to learn another team's system. I'd say it's probably a year to integrate a player in any system. In general, I think it's a luxury not to have to press rookies into action immediately. It's good to have talented and entrenched starters. Great players will work their way into the mix naturally. Our problem is we haven't brought in a lot of great players recently.

Bad teams have to scramble to work new guys into the mix right away. And it feels like we're in that position right now trying to work new guys in. And I don't see JJ, Shark, and Williams performing so badly that it's hurting us. Seems we might have gotten some talented players in those 3.
    JJ, Shark and Williams are only playing because the cap situation got so bad the team had no choice but to make major cuts over the past two years. They are not playing because the coach wants them on the field.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Banned

User Info Menu

When Dom Capers ran this defense he got younger players to play ASAP in limited roles and then, usually in year two, they would start.

LeBeau just relies on his vets, doesn't get young players ready, and their first contract is usually a waste except for their last season.

Face it, he's old, can't put in the same hours that he used to. The 3-4 ZB also isn't the only game in town anymore. More teams do it? More film to watch and break it.

Backup

User Info Menu

I think the Steelers have been living on past glory for too long. They think because they won it all in 2008 that they'll always be right and that they'll never have to change. The truth of the matter is no one gives a **** about 2008 anymore.

The Packers are a team with a lot of tradition, but they left that tradition behind to be a better team in the here and now. The Steelers need to catch up.

Banned

User Info Menu

I wish we would go back to 2008.

Because this 1976 crap ain't cutting it.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    JJ, Shark and Williams are only playing because the cap situation got so bad the team had no choice but to make major cuts over the past two years. They are not playing because the coach wants them on the field.
    On the broadcast last night, they quoted LeBeau as saying he couldn't believe players like Kion Wilson and Vince Williams had even made the team.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I'm missing where Lebeau holds young players back. Polamalu played in his 2nd year. Woodley played in his 1st. Timmons had to wait a bit (at least a year, if I recall). Jarvis is already playing. Keisel/Ike/McLendon were developmental. Hood seemed to sit--and we now can see why.

What talent did we excessively sit? Where are the talents that linger on our bench, past or present? What players have escaped DLs regime, to break out at another place? I'm not asking rhetorically... I really don't see it.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I know one thing his philosophy is as old as he is, the reason the TO are low because he rather the wr catch the ball and come up and make the tackle and don't get beat deep. And you wonder why the team consistently be last in forcing TO. They even criticized him today on a radio show about the cushion that he allows wr each week, I actually thought he learned from the NE game years back but I guess OLD HABITS are hard to break. So get used to grandpa low TO rate until he leaves!
    [url=http://img525.imageshack.us/i/steelers2010.jpg/]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2...eelers2010.jpg[/url]

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    I'm missing where Lebeau holds young players back. Polamalu played in his 2nd year. Woodley played in his 1st. Timmons had to wait a bit (at least a year, if I recall). Jarvis is already playing. Keisel/Ike/McLendon were developmental. Hood seemed to sit--and we now can see why.

What talent did we excessively sit? Where are the talents that linger on our bench, past or present? What players have escaped DLs regime, to break out at another place? I'm not asking rhetorically... I really don't see it.
    Agree with the Shoe. It's exasperating listening to repeated claims that DL will not play rookies or young players. THere are plenty of examples of guys getting on the field yr 1 or 2. They play when DL believes they are ready to play, and not before. The Fans base player readiness on college hype or some other random idea, who knows.
    Let me ask, if JHarrison is still on the team do you sit him for JJ? Anyone that believes he deserves to would be lying.
    Last edited by NorthCoast; 09-23-2013 at 08:08 PM.