Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What do Steelers fans think about the NFL International games in London?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SoccerSaint View Post
    What is a 0-3 team? Why is it bad that both teams playing in London are 0-3 teams?
    Both teams aren't playing well this year. The both have 0 wins and 3 losses so far this season.

Legend

User Info Menu

Other questions -

Why are the home and awy colors so different? your team is mostly Red for home games and then Black/White for away. Arsenal is Red/White at home but then go with Yellow/Blue when away (what the....)

And why do some teams have nicknames - Saints and others don't?

Been a couple years since I was in London but I remember liking the cask ale: Doom Bar and Fuller's ESB. I wrote down a list of the ones I tried. Dont' remember disliking any of them,

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Other questions -

Why are the home and awy colors so different? your team is mostly Red for home games and then Black/White for away. Arsenal is Red/White at home but then go with Yellow/Blue when away (what the....)

Been a couple years since I was in London but I remember liking the cask ale: Doom Bar and Fuller's ESB. I wrote down a list of the ones I tried. Dont' remember disliking any of them,
    Ah, well first yes, we will turn Palace over. First we must get past Bristol City in the League cup tonight - 1-0 so far, so good!

The away colours are black/white for this season. Traditionally they have been yellow and blue trunks. The reason is, when a team plays away and the home team's colours are too similar to the visiting team's home colours then they have to use a different colour scheme. When Saints visit Chelsea (who play in blue) then the away colours are not needed and we will play in the main club colours of red and white because it stands out against blue.

Most clubs have nicknames, just some are used more often. The Saints have always been referred to in the press and neutrals as such whereas Manchester United are just referred to as 'Man U' or 'United'. Their nickname is actually the 'Red Devils'.

The nickname is really only that - a nickname. It is not part of the official name. If the Steelers were an English team we would usually just refer to the team as 'Pittsburgh'. Hull City have just gained promotion to the EPL. Their nickname is 'the tigers'. The owner wants to rename the club officially as the Hull Tigers which would mean the media would be obliged (under broadcasting licence rights) to refer to the thusly. The fans HATE the idea. To them it is awful, they may refer colloquially as their team as 'the tigers' but would never stomach an official rebranding.

As for the real ale, yes both excellent ales. Doom Bar is Cornish beer - from Cornwall. Lovely clear water down there.. Fuller's is a London brewer. I think they ship London Pride to the States in bottles. When I was in Pittsburgh I had a really tasty local brew. Long time ago, can't remember the name for the life of me.
    Last edited by SoccerSaint; 09-24-2013 at 03:49 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Other questions -

I remember Fullers being one of favs. And my favorite part of London was every last client/partner wanted to go to the pub for pints around 11 am everyday. I have no idea how any business guy in London ever gets any work done

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Hi Mate,

Sure, I have no problem with it. Good to here you will be cheering for the Steelers! You picked the right team....
    We arguably have the largest fan base in the NFL.

Your in for a treat!! Wish I would be there for the game when they turn things around and finally win one!!

Backup

User Info Menu

Hey SoccerSaint, Thanks for reaching out to Steeler Nation (that is what we call the enormous support group that is not just centered in Pittsburgh)! I personally don't really care for the international games because I think that the home team should really get to play at home.

This would be a great place to get the lowdown on some American football basics, or some insight on the Steelers players or style. Unfortunately, the Steelers are playing some really poor football this year. Although, as a franchise, we are the most successful having won 6 superbowls. The most of anyone.

I'll through out one guy from offense and one guy from defense to keep an eye on. On offense, our quarterback (the dude who throws the ball- sorry, if this is too basic. I really don't know what you know), #7, Ben Roethlisberger. I'm sure you'll like his nickname: Big Ben. Is known for being tough and making super crazy insane impromptu plays using his size and strength to fend off enormous defenders then hucking the ball downfield for a big play.

On defense, look for some long curly black hair draping over #43: Troy Polamalu. He is an exceptional athlete who will be around the football constantly. He moves around a lot; confusing the opposing offense.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I'm sorry I don't speak British. Can we get a translator in here?

Seriously, I think it is fine that the NFL tries to expand to an international sport. Unfortunately, the game is so slow (with playcalling, official reviews, and commercial breaks) and so full of obscure rules and regulations that I see most Europeans getting bored or confused before they can even begin to appreciate it.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Legend

User Info Menu

I think it's ridiculous that the NFL plays games overseas.
    The NFL is the biggest sport in the US and i find no reason to expand beyond that except pure greed.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pittpete View Post
    I think it's ridiculous that the NFL plays games overseas.
    The NFL is the biggest sport in the US and i find no reason to expand beyond that except pure greed.
    Thank you pittpete
    [URL=http://s227.photobucket.com/user/AAFiorini/media/jigsignewplate_zpsgmcgfc1q.jpg.html]<a href=http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd207/AAFiorini/jigsignewplate_zpsgmcgfc1q.jpg target=_blank>http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/d...psgmcgfc1q.jpg</a>[/URL]

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I don't think that regular season NFL games should be played anywhere but the USA. The Vikings fans/players lost a home game so that the NFL could put a game in London. Not cool.

If the people of England want their US-style football, let them start their own league.