Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What do Steelers fans think about the NFL International games in London?

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    I don't think that regular season NFL games should be played anywhere but the USA. The Vikings fans/players lost a home game so that the NFL could put a game in London. Not cool.

If the people of England want their US-style football, let them start their own league.
    there is serious talk afoot to start a London franchise of the NFL proper. Not sure how that would work, but I guess it is just about the same distance for the Giants to fly to London as it is for them to head to California. Bummer for the London team though. They would need their own Airbus with fully reclining beds etc.

I would love to know how much the Vikings make out of the game in London.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

How much revenue would the city of Pittsburgh lose if the Steelers were to play a home game in London?

Do the taxpayers get a return on the subsidized money used to build that stadium that is now hosting one less game?
    [URL=http://s227.photobucket.com/user/AAFiorini/media/jigsignewplate_zpsgmcgfc1q.jpg.html]<a href=http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd207/AAFiorini/jigsignewplate_zpsgmcgfc1q.jpg target=_blank>http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/d...psgmcgfc1q.jpg</a>[/URL]

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SoccerSaint View Post
    there is serious talk afoot to start a London franchise of the NFL proper. Not sure how that would work, but I guess it is just about the same distance for the Giants to fly to London as it is for them to head to California. Bummer for the London team though. They would need their own Airbus with fully reclining beds etc.

Why would London need to have an NFL team? Couldn't they just start a British or Euro league with no NFL affiliation? If the people there like it, it will be OK.

Legend

User Info Menu

I dunno how the logistics would work for London to play CA teams. That's a 10+ hour direct flight. And its an 8 hour time difference. If London does get a team, they'd have a heck of a home field advantage and a serious road disadvantage. I bet the team would go 8-8 every year because of travel.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I for one think it's cool that they play overseas. A London team would spend a hell of a lot of time airplanes (perhaps they would do two weeks here and two weeks back in England). But not everybody is too happy about it. For some it is as destestable as letting Celtic join the Prem would be to most Soton fans.
    In response to his pleas, an officer said: "You think we've never arrested somebody that's made national media? ... We deal with the Bengals all the time."

[url="http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3880848"]http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3880848[/url]

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I like the idea of playing in London. As far as soccer goes I loved playing it as a kid but to be honest I feel like I outgrew it by the age of 15. I just cannot grasp the fanaticsm that surrounds soccer. Fun to play, lame to watch. Sorry bloke.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by The Man of Steel View Post
    I like the idea of playing in London. As far as soccer goes I loved playing it as a kid but to be honest I feel like I outgrew it by the age of 15. I just cannot grasp the fanaticsm that surrounds soccer. Fun to play, lame to watch. Sorry bloke.
    One things for sure - soccer fan fights make nfl fan fights look lame.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by snarky View Post
    I for one think it's cool that they play overseas. A London team would spend a hell of a lot of time airplanes (perhaps they would do two weeks here and two weeks back in England). But not everybody is too happy about it. For some it is as destestable as letting Celtic join the Prem would be to most Soton fans.
    Lol!

Actually, it is probably not the English fans who would hate Celtic joining the Prem but the Scottish clubs. The Rangers and Celtic games (when Rangers make it back up into the SPL) are worth a lot to the other clubs. The Edinburgh clubs excluded too, I guess.

Funnily enough you have addressed one very important difference between the NFL and the English Football league system. The NFL is a closed shop - no one gets promoted into it and no one gets relegated from it. In the EPL 3 teams will always get the chop at the end of the season and 3 teams will come up. There is a genuine, if implausible, path for a club of semi-pros such as Lewes FC (which currently plays in the 8th tier of English football) to eventually make it all the way up to the Premier League. Conversely, there is a possibility (infinitesimally slim) that Manchester United could end up playing in the 8th tier. All they would have to do is finish in the bottom three of their division for 7 seasons in a row and by 2020 it could be...

The Glazer family (who own the Tampa Bay Buccaneers) own Manchester United and John Henry (owner of Red Sox and Liverpool FC) have previously floated a balloon about making the Premier League like the NFL where no one is relegated from or promoted too. It was met by universal horror, anger and fierce rejection. They were called all sorts of nasty things in the press. It is totally alien to British sport. Also, there isn't a single Man Utd or Liverpool fan who would have wanted it any the owners would have opened their new season to empty stadia.

What is impressive about the NFL system is the draft. I love the idea of that. Am I right in thinking that it is ultimately the NFL which holds the player's contract and tells them they have to go play at the club which picked them or they don't play at all?

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by The Man of Steel View Post
    Well I think NFL would be a whole lot more enjoyable if they just played half the match, then took a breather showed a handful of commercials for no longer than 10 minutes and then played the second half with out further interruption. I guess college football is less frequently interrupted by the need to sell something?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Well I think NFL would be a whole lot more enjoyable if they just played half the match, then took a breather showed a handful of commercials for no longer than 10 minutes and then played the second half with out further interruption. I guess college football is less frequently interrupted by the need to sell something?
    Yes, the NFL has way too many breaks and not enough action but for some odd reason it's still entertaining. BTW, when you're at the game make sure you use the word "yinz" as much as possible so everyone around you knows that you are a genuine Steelers fan and not a poser.