Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steelers at the Bottom....again.

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers at the Bottom....again.

Check out this:

[URL]http://www.theguardian.com/sport/interactive/2013/jan/30/nfl-salaries-team-position#pittsburgh-steelers,cincinnati-bengals[/URL]

what you will find pretty quickly is that the Steelers and Jets are at the bottom of the league in OL salary. The better offensive teams?...not surprising they are paying the premiums for OTs.

Legend

User Info Menu

Very interesting site, thanks for posting NorthCoast!

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Rookie

User Info Menu

4 of our 5 linemen are playing on rookie contracts...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    This is a critical point. The line has the least number of starts in the NFL. The real test comes after the season and we see what the front office does. I guess there's a small chance the line gels and gets good. Assuming that does not happen; then what do they do? Cuts? Do they pursue a free agent linemen (or 2) who's going to cost more than a rookie's contract.

And sadly - the Jets are 2-1 with their rookie QB throwing for over 300 yards last week. The bears had 2 rookies on the right side (1 of them a 5th rounder) and didn't struggle with protection. The Steelers have not drafted well.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    This is a critical point. The line has the least number of starts in the NFL. The real test comes after the season and we see what the front office does. I guess there's a small chance the line gels and gets good. Assuming that does not happen; then what do they do? Cuts? Do they pursue a free agent linemen (or 2) who's going to cost more than a rookie's contract.

And sadly - the Jets are 2-1 with their rookie QB throwing for over 300 yards last week. The bears had 2 rookies on the right side (1 of them a 5th rounder) and didn't struggle with protection. The Steelers have not drafted well.
    The Front Office has to recognize they don't likely have the answer at LT and move to fix that. IMO Foster is also not the answer at Left Guard.

The real hard decision they will face is what to do with Maurkice Pouncey. Do you make him the highest paid Center in the NFL which is what he is going to seek given that he gets hurt every single season?
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

These numbers are from last year. Wonder if there's a more current version? Interesting link.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I think you offer him a contract that recognizes the severity of his injury while also recognizing the quality of his play. But make no mistake, they MUST sign him.
    We have the future LG on the team. He's a newly signed center at the moment though. Let Beachum, "boobs", Foster and Adams fight it out for RT cut the loser. Keep foster as your swing OL. Draft a LT. Trade up if we have to.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Trading up for a LT may not be necessary - right now we look like we will be in the top 10. But I still think this team will put things together to finish with a respectable record.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    The Front Office has to recognize they don't likely have the answer at LT and move to fix that. IMO Foster is also not the answer at Left Guard.

The real hard decision they will face is what to do with Maurkice Pouncey. Do you make him the highest paid Center in the NFL which is what he is going to seek given that he gets hurt every single season?
    I would say no and not because of the injuries. I say no because he isn't even close to being the best center in the NFL. His biggest asset is that he pulls better than any center in the league. However, his run and pass blocking skills have declined each year he has played. The way it stands now I say keep Velasco since he is cheaper and seems to do the job just as well as Pouncey.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Exactly. Generally teams ride on the play of their OL. How many bad teams have terrific OL's? So, if an OL is playing well, the team is playing well those guys get the contracts. Of course the better teams will be paying their OL's more.