Thread: Our takeaway?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Our takeaway?

I've been harping on our lack of turnovers, I've been referring to a turnover (one turnover) that we have to this point but... what turnover? Can someone inform me who created it? I'm at a loss. In checking the stats to this point, ESPN has us down for 0 takeaways this season.

If we haven't, I ask again how anyone can be happy with any aspect of our defense. I'm happy with individual efforts (e.g. Ike, Troy), but no position can be considered doing their job, when we haven't even gotten one since 2012.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Exactly.

The Steelers have the softest defense in the league. Ben coughed the ball up and it led directly to points but this D is completely inept at generating turnovers and making big plays. I give credit to the Bears in making some pretty good plays that were unstoppable by anyone. But this D scares no one and they are not holfing there end of the bargain, just like the offense. Last I checked, this is a team game. Both sides of the ball are playing like crap. Our best players are Troy and the punter. That's not enough.

Legend

User Info Menu

I do think they are trying. Gay knocked 1 ball out and went for a strip on another. Jarvis will get some in time as his pass rush skills develop. He's had a couple missed opportunities so far. Woodley will create some mistakes as soon as our DLine starts to control the LOS and collapse the pocket. And it's only a matter of time for Troy to make a big play. I think once Allen comes back, he'll make a difference too.

I see it as a work in progress. But as it stands now, I'd put more emphasis on solid tackling across the board first and foremost.

Legend

User Info Menu

I don't think D!ck teaches stripping the ball, does anyone else?

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Kiffin went to Dallas as their D-Coordinator this year and put a special emphasis on taking the ball away during training camp. I just looked and they have 3 interceptions and 4 fumble recoveries. That looks better than the goose eggs we have in those categories.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Benchwarmer

User Info Menu

When we blitz it forces the QB to make quick decisions. Ike allowing his wr to catch all of those short passes make Cutler look like all pro, and puts their offense in manageble down and distance. We need to play press coverage way more than we are currently doing so we tip some balls and hopefully create some TO. When was the last time to you saw Ike knock a pass down or at least try and tackle the football on those short passes? Not hating on Ike, just an observation. We also need to get more push upfront on the pocket, cuz Woodley and Jones are getting the qb to step up consistently but we get nothing to show for it.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    I do think they are trying. Gay knocked 1 ball out and went for a strip on another. Jarvis will get some in time as his pass rush skills develop. He's had a couple missed opportunities so far. Woodley will create some mistakes as soon as our DLine starts to control the LOS and collapse the pocket. And it's only a matter of time for Troy to make a big play. I think once Allen comes back, he'll make a difference too.

I see it as a work in progress. But as it stands now, I'd put more emphasis on solid tackling across the board first and foremost.
    A little more emphasis on solid tackling would have kept Bush out of the endzone on 4th down when Timmons hit him before he broke the plane and Williams had a clean shot as well and both guys could not keep him out.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SanAntonioSteelerFan View Post
    Is that something that needs to be taught at the NFL level?

As I typed the above sentence I remembered how many turnovers we have and that answered my own question.
    [URL=http://s227.photobucket.com/user/AAFiorini/media/jigsignewplate_zpsgmcgfc1q.jpg.html]<a href=http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd207/AAFiorini/jigsignewplate_zpsgmcgfc1q.jpg target=_blank>http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/d...psgmcgfc1q.jpg</a>[/URL]

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Gay tried taking the ball from Forte only to add 25 yards to a 30 yard run ... turnovers are created/forced by pressure on the QB, batted balls & attacking the ball carrier.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SanAntonioSteelerFan View Post
    It does not appear so. I'd love to know the answer.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.