Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bad Word's defense and the salary cap

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Agree with the Shoe. It's exasperating listening to repeated claims that DL will not play rookies or young players. THere are plenty of examples of guys getting on the field yr 1 or 2. They play when DL believes they are ready to play, and not before. The Fans base player readiness on college hype or some other random idea, who knows.
    Let me ask, if JHarrison is still on the team do you sit him for JJ? Anyone that believes he deserves to would be lying.
    I'd like to make a small change to what you said NC. I think DL let's a guy on the field when he believes they are BETTER than anyone else for a certain situation. Does anyone here believe that Wilson or Williams are better and make more plays and less mistakes than Larry Foote? Take a look at Jarvis Jones, who has made a few great plays, and tell me he also hasn't made a ton of rookie mistakes. A lot of you guys see other teams play rookies and see highlights of those rookies and assume they are playinig great. You don't seem to notice the vulnerabilities that these same rookies bring to the table.

It always amazes me that people on this board think they have a clue as to what LeBeau does and doesn't do. They think he doesn't make any adjustments to his game plan yet players say he constantly changes things. I think I'll believe the players and former players on how good DL is and disregard the bulletin board "experts".
    <a href=http://seahawknationblog.com/files/2011/02/roger-goodell.jpg target=_blank>http://seahawknationblog.com/files/2...er-goodell.jpg</a>

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85 View Post
    I'd like to make a small change to what you said NC. I think DL let's a guy on the field when he believes they are BETTER than anyone else for a certain situation. Does anyone here believe that Wilson or Williams are better and make more plays and less mistakes than Larry Foote? Take a look at Jarvis Jones, who has made a few great plays, and tell me he also hasn't made a ton of rookie mistakes. A lot of you guys see other teams play rookies and see highlights of those rookies and assume they are playinig great. You don't seem to notice the vulnerabilities that these same rookies bring to the table.

It always amazes me that people on this board think they have a clue as to what LeBeau does and doesn't do. They think he doesn't make any adjustments to his game plan yet players say he constantly changes things. I think I'll believe the players and former players on how good DL is and disregard the bulletin board "experts".
    This is a good observation. Since Foote went down, we have given up rushing TDs because Williams/Wilson didn't make a tackle that Larry Foote would have most likely. Even a couple more stops on big runs might be the difference in getting a win or 2 these last 2 weeks.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    I'm missing where Lebeau holds young players back. Polamalu played in his 2nd year. Woodley played in his 1st. Timmons had to wait a bit (at least a year, if I recall). Jarvis is already playing. Keisel/Ike/McLendon were developmental. Hood seemed to sit--and we now can see why.

What talent did we excessively sit? Where are the talents that linger on our bench, past or present? What players have escaped DLs regime, to break out at another place? I'm not asking rhetorically... I really don't see it.
    All 3 of those mentioned are freaks of nature... IMO you shouldn't have to be a complete beast to see the field on our D early...

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85 View Post

but those mistakes are the only way they will learn... we tend to protect our players and they still make those mistakes once they play because it's part of the game. The only problem is now we are developing guys and by the time they see the field their contract is up.

Benchwarmer
    Think about this, if a rookie(s) play well or great their first couple of years they WILL demand to be paid accordingly which then is going to put you trouble with the cap. A rookie that has played played sparingly but shows promise cannot demand that kind of contract (smart thinking Steelers).

Pro Bowler
    Perfect example of the current Lebeau defense.
    Chicago gets the ball and is allowed to march down the field throwing short easy passes in front of our CB's.
    Allows Cutler to build confidence and feel comfortable.
    The 10 yard cushions to begin the games and on 3rd and shorts have become a staple of this defense that teams have figured out.
    Teams aren't scared of the Steelers defense any more.
    No way you can get enough pressure on a QB when the ball is released in under 3 seconds.
    I love D.L. but the bend don't break, non turnover creating defense has to change.
    Let him finish out the season but next year we need to start fresh on defense.
    The # 5 ranking in total yards allowed means nothing with 3 sacks,0 takeaways and a middle of the road 3rd down% through 3 games.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by pittpete View Post
    Perfect example of the current Lebeau defense.
    Chicago gets the ball and is allowed to march down the field throwing short easy passes in front of our CB's.
    Allows Cutler to build confidence and feel comfortable.
    The 10 yard cushions to begin the games and on 3rd and shorts have become a staple of this defense that teams have figured out.
    Teams aren't scared of the Steelers defense any more.
    No way you can get enough pressure on a QB when the ball is released in under 3 seconds.
    I love D.L. but the bend don't break, non turnover creating defense has to change.
    Let him finish out the season but next year we need to start fresh on defense.
    The # 5 ranking in total yards allowed means nothing with 3 sacks,0 takeaways and a middle of the road 3rd down% through 3 games.
    I dunno if I agree Cutler was all that comfortable after the first series. I think Lebeau is less aggressive on the first series to feel out the opponent and then adjusts accordingly. Chicago wasn't really moving the ball all that well throughout the game aside from Forte's big run and Cutler's one long pass to Marshall. The only other big mistake was Cutler's first down run in the final quarter and I think Troy woulda made that play if he didn't get picked by Shark.

I think DL's system still works pretty well. We need the players to make plays and they haven't been forcing mistakes. But it's not like they aren't in position to do so.

I think it was the 3rd straight game where the D played well enough. If the offense does its job in any of those last 3 games, we win. We absolutely need exceptional players to force some turnovers. And I think that will come. I'm not ready to throw out Lebeau and his system. I don't think it's costing us games. The 5 TOs against Chicago cost us that game.

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    All 3 of those mentioned are freaks of nature... IMO you shouldn't have to be a complete beast to see the field on our D early...
    Can you list some non-freaks of nature who you felt were unjustly kept off the field? I honestly can't.

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    I think you need to be a complete beast to see the field on our D period.
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.