Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Only Pittsburgh Steeler fans...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    He can also make a trash Oline look decent with his style of play. The knife cuts both ways on this one.

Also, I love the argument that always happens re: Ben:

Supporter: No other QB would be able to survive behind the Olines that Ben has played behind.

Anti: Sure they would. A smart QB like Manning would throw the ball away when that happens.

My question: How happy and successful would Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, Tom Brady et al be with throwing the ball away 10-15 times a game, every game??

Ben's style gives you much more when he is on, and much less when he is off. We saw much of both against Chicago.
    No doubt he can make a bad OL look good with miracle plays... but then again, that doesn't make them look good, that makes HIM look good.

Brady, Brees and Manning wouldn't pat these guys on the back. They would "flame" them in public and called cry babies by other teams fans while the FO listens to them and fixes the OL.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    Uhhhhhhhhhhhhh but it's not just A.J. McCarron. It's also LT Jake Matthews, NT Louis Nix, and maybe a WR like Mike Evans.

Trading Ben could net all of that.

But do what do you felt....focus on the dumb sh%t.
    focusing on fans bashing Ben when he is playing BAD is focusing on the dumb sh$# but do you...

and what's up with the cursing? Last year you hit me with a bible verse when I put up a WTF icon.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    This is a good point and something that just came up in a conversation I had yesterday. We were talking about how when Ben goes down and Batch or Lefty comes in, the line looks magically better all of a sudden. I wish there was a way we could mix Tommy Maddox's quick decision making with Ben's talent. That QB would be off the charts good in every circumstance.
    Could it be that our OC is not calling plays that play to Ben's strengths as much as it looks like he does when a back-up comes in ? I'm not a Pro coach but I would think that there are more productive plays out there besides WR bubble screens. Could quick slants or QB rollouts work, we may never know.
    ROOKIE ??

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    It becomes less annoying when you realize it's funny.
    True nuff Flippy.
    I dont see why people get so upset.
    Crash is as rude to me as ANYBODY. Dude despises me. I just find it hilarious that a guy can get so worked up over this.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

How many times was Bradshaw booed or even benched? The fact is, all great ones have their low points. Ben will be fine.
    ​2019 MNFE CHAMPION

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Reality...

Ben is the best QB we've had in the last 30 years.
    This may be the worst offensive line we've had in the last 30 years.
    We lack playmakers on offense.
    Ben made lots of elite escapes and amazing throws on Sunday night.
    Ben was very careless with the ball and often off target on Sunday night.
    If some are calling for us to bench Ben, they are mad.
    If some are saying that Ben has played at an all-pro level this season, they are equally mad.
    It is perfectly reasonable for one to argue that Ben has been a big part of the problem this season.
    It is perfectly reasonable to defend Ben and his part in the team's poor play because of the poor play of the rest of the offense and the often awful playcalling/play design.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood View Post
    Reality...

If some are saying that Ben has played at an all-pro level this season, they are equally mad.
    It is perfectly reasonable for one to argue that Ben has been a big part of the problem this season.
    It is perfectly reasonable to defend Ben and his part in the team's poor play because of the poor play of the rest of the offense and the often awful playcalling/play design.
    whoa there buddy. there's no need to go all reasonable on us

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood View Post
    Reality...

Morale equivalences are very confusing to me. Could you just summarize please and tell me who sucks so I can flame them? Just one person if you can, two if you have to, but it gets a bit complicated then ... ... and then my head hurts.

Thanks,

Crushed in Coraopolis

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Legend

User Info Menu

I know I will get ripped for saying it and maybe I am overthinking things, but a case can be made the Offensive problems are on Roethlisberger. Consider his best statistical season in yds/gm came in 2009 (288 ). He also happened to have been sacked a career high 50 times! So it seems he is at his best when he holds the ball too long. Coaches are trying to change his game to extend his career and perhaps even help the young OL by forcing quick throws. Unfortunately, Roethlisberger is either unwilling or unable to change his game like he is being asked to do. Although, as it has been pointed out adnausem, many times it seems there is a jailbreak coming through.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    I know I will get ripped for saying it and maybe I am overthinking things, but a case can be made the Offensive problems are on Roethlisberger. Consider his best statistical season in yds/gm came in 2009 (288 ). He also happened to have been sacked a career high 50 times! So it seems he is at his best when he holds the ball too long. Coaches are trying to change his game to extend his career and perhaps even help the young OL by forcing quick throws. Unfortunately, Roethlisberger is either unwilling or unable to change his game like he is being asked to do. Although, as it has been pointed out adnausem, many times it seems there is a jailbreak coming through.
    In a way it's like we're trying to Kordell Stewart him. Kordell was great with Chan and then we tried for many seasons to make him into something he wasn't and failed miserably in the process. At that time, Kordell was as unique a QB as Ben is today. I also see a lot of similarities in the creativity and open thinking of Chan and BA. In both cases, the QBs/OCs are very different but very much the same.