Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How did Velasco do? How did Gay do? A few other ?s ...

Legend

User Info Menu

How did Velasco do? How did Gay do? A few other ?s ...

I had to work last night, checking in on the phone was just so painful for a variety of reasons I just stopped trying.

Just wondering what my Planet Steeler brethren thought about:

1) Velasco - did he give us reason to be positive for the future (no snark please ).
    2) Gay - was he ever on an island 1-on-1 when it counted ... did he hold up in that situation?
    3) Heath - is he going to be OK, or even was he great right out of the box?
    4) I see from the box score only Dwyer and Jones rushed ... how did they look? Was Red in the doghouse, or hurt?
    5) Prisuta and Mike said Ike did great, then fubar'd on the 41 yarder after Cutler's scramble. You guys agree?
    6) I saw the clip of the Cutler scramble. It looked to me like maybe Troy was supposed to spy Cutler, but went to the wrong side of the field to follow a potential receiver ... that was already covered???

Any other details/thoughts from the game would be much appreciated - thanks!

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Velasco is the best player on the offensive line. But he's only been here two weeks so give him a chance to sink into suck.
    [URL=http://s227.photobucket.com/user/AAFiorini/media/jigsignewplate_zpsgmcgfc1q.jpg.html]<a href=http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd207/AAFiorini/jigsignewplate_zpsgmcgfc1q.jpg target=_blank>http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/d...psgmcgfc1q.jpg</a>[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

1. Velasco? Meh. There was a lot of pressure and unblocked guys coming free right up the middle. I think the rest of the line may be seeping in at week 2.

2. Gay was solid. He was the reason for the big run because I think he tried to strip the ball. On another play he forced a fumble that the WR recovered quickly. He also got trucked on 2 runs. But all in all, he's solid. He's kinda like the Larry Foote of DBs imho. And that's not a bad thing. And he's one of the few guys out there trying to create a big play. I generally like his approach.

3. Heath looks ok. I think AB is glad he's back. They seemed to be working him in slowly. But he changed the dynamic of the offense. I mean the score wasn't that lopsided considering 5 TOs and 2 D TDs for Chicago. We were able to move the ball and start to have some success.

4. Both RBs looked good except on the carries they got hit in the backfield. Dwyer's block on the first TD pass to AB was the key to that play happening. Felix looked quick and Dwyer looked violent. I think both should have gotten more carries somehow.

5. Ike played great. Even on the 1 reception, it was a good throw by Cutler and a good catch by Marshall. Back to back weeks on 2 of the most dominant WRs in the game and you give up 1 catch that doesn't even go for a TD - that's solid. Although Troy got Marshall in coverage a couple times and he looked really good and was just as effective.

6. Dunno. Would have to rewatch it.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SanAntonioSteelerFan View Post
    I had to work last night, checking in on the phone was just so painful for a variety of reasons I just stopped trying.

Just wondering what my Planet Steeler brethren thought about:

1) Velasco - did he give us reason to be positive for the future (no snark please ).
    2) Gay - was he ever on an island 1-on-1 when it counted ... did he hold up in that situation?
    3) Heath - is he going to be OK, or even was he great right out of the box?
    4) I see from the box score only Dwyer and Jones rushed ... how did they look? Was Red in the doghouse, or hurt?
    5) Prisuta and Mike said Ike did great, then fubar'd on the 41 yarder after Cutler's scramble. You guys agree?
    6) I saw the clip of the Cutler scramble. It looked to me like maybe Troy was supposed to spy Cutler, but went to the wrong side of the field to follow a potential receiver ... that was already covered???

Any other details/thoughts from the game would be much appreciated - thanks!
    Not sure what to say about Velasco. Pressure was coming from everywhere. Sometimes the protection broke down so quickly its impossible to tell who was responsible. On most plays It seemed the pressure came from everywhere. So again singling any one guy out is impossible. I will say that we got a ton of pressure right up the gut. Not sure if you want to blame the center or guards or all 3.

I thought Gay again played pretty well. He is not the liability he used to be. He is the least of our concerns right now.

Heath look better than I thought he would. I tried to key on him quite a bit. I thought he looked solid in all areas and had some key blocks and a couple of clutch grabs. At one point I thought he tweaked his knee but he stayed in and didnt miss a beat. Hopefully he came out of the game re-injury free.

Dwyer came in and ran hard. We didnt see enough of him. Jones was Ok but had a bad fumble and was yanked. Dwyer would have had more carries but the score got out of hand. Redman was only used to block at the end of the game in shotgun sets.

I have no idea whos fault it was on the Cutler run. Good play on Cutlers part and a breakdown by the Steeler D as a whole.

Ike was great in coverage all night. He had good coverge on the big Marshall catch but couldnt get his head around in time to make a play.

Legend

User Info Menu

Thanks, guys.

Here's that Cutler scramble: [url]http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2013092213/2013/REG3/bears@steelers#menu=highlights&tab=recap[/url]

To my eyes: It looks like Troy was assigned spy on Culter duty. But he looks completely out of position, in no man's land, actually ran the other way over to the right (almost like he was looking for a pick6 on their #22 (who was covered), then got tangled up with one of our own guys trying to recover to get Cutler.

Our line did a good job on the edges, we missed a sack by milliseconds.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SanAntonioSteelerFan View Post
    Thanks, guys.

Here's that Cutler scramble: [URL]http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2013092213/2013/REG3/bears@steelers#menu=highlights&tab=recap[/URL]

To my eyes: It looks like Troy was assigned spy on Culter duty. But he looks completely out of position, in no man's land, actually ran the other way over to the right (almost like he was looking for a pick6 on their #22 (who was covered), then got tangled up with one of our own guys trying to recover to get Cutler.

Our line did a good job on the edges, we missed a sack by milliseconds.
    It's hard to tell. Maybe he had coverage responsibility in the short zone to try and prevent a dump off that turned into a first down. He kinda disappeared in the play and then came back to run into and get picked by Sharknado. And I think he probably could have made that play if Shark doesn't trip him up.

Legend

User Info Menu

Beware the Sharknado ... it can trip up even the Whirling Dervish!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I think the best you can say about Velasco & Gay is that they are holding their own... and to this point, I'd say they are.

3) You can tell Heath was cautious today... it is hard not to be your first game back, and I think it'll last all season TBH. That being said, an 80% Heath is an immediate and obvious upgrade over that limp noodle (Paulson).

4) I believe Redman was in the doghouse, though I did see him in the game in one or two key situations. Dwyer played like he had something to prove, and it showed. I think Felix played his way into the doghouse (at least for the game), with his horrible 2nd half fumble.

5) I'm not going to question Ike this year. I was VERY hard on him after the Demaryus debacle, but he's been a rock on this squad, to this point.

6) Polamalu blew that play IMO. He freelanced, and it bit him (and the D) in the but. Though, like Ike, he's playing great.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    I think the best you can say about Velasco & Gay is that they are holding their own... and to this point, I'd say they are.

3) You can tell Heath was cautious today... it is hard not to be your first game back, and I think it'll last all season TBH. That being said, an 80% Heath is an immediate and obvious upgrade over that limp noodle (Paulson).

4) I believe Redman was in the doghouse, though I did see him in the game in one or two key situations. Dwyer played like he had something to prove, and it showed. I think Felix played his way into the doghouse (at least for the game), with his horrible 2nd half fumble.

5) I'm not going to question Ike this year. I was VERY hard on him after the Demaryus debacle, but he's been a rock on this squad, to this point.

6) Polamalu blew that play IMO. He freelanced, and it bit him (and the D) in the but. Though, like Ike, he's playing great.

I was wondering if I was the only one that thought that, thanks for looking shoe!

It got me thinking ...

I agree that Troy is playing like Ike - they play fantastic for a whole lot of plays in a row, then they give up one game-losing play, pretty much reliably, every game or two.

"Splash" ... can be the enemy of "Discipline".

Troy's *NOT* playing selfish, I would bet my bottom bippy on that. *BUT* ... if he *WERE* playing selfish it would have looked the same. So does it matter?

"Your assignment is this, Steeler defender.".... "OK, Coach... (Man, if I can bust up the play doing *THIS* instead, it would be awesome)".

Sometimes staying at home, and being boring but disciplined, is better. When we're winning, Splash is king. When we're losing, fundamentals are probably more important - because that means Splash isn't working.
    Last edited by SanAntonioSteelerFan; 09-24-2013 at 12:35 AM.

Backup

User Info Menu

Heath was slow. On that bubble screen. (the one that actually worked) LOL he missed a block because he just couldnt get there fast enough! Looked slow but I think like this entire team there is room for IMPROVEMENT!