Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: All I Can Do Is Laugh

Legend

User Info Menu

All I Can Do Is Laugh

Things have gotten so bad, all I can do is laugh at the Steelers, laugh at the fans, and laugh at myself. This season is literally a comedy of errors. Almost the instant we step on the field, something zany happens. A missed block, a turnover, a missed tackle, a brain fart, an argument on the sideline, and on and on. At first it feels a little unsettling, but once we get into the rhythm of mistakes, it truly becomes legendary comedy.

As fans our expectations are through the roof and rightfully so. When the team doesn't live up to those expectations, a violent melt down erupts inside. We want so badly to enjoy these moments of our lives, that we see a SuperBowl run coming in a 9 yard run. Only to realize on the very next play as linemen fall over their own feet and teammates that we're likely going to have a chance at our next franchise QB cause we're on the road to 0-16. Steeler Nation is schitzo. And it's understandable. It's a crowd mentality. We're all weak minded. Some of us have to protect our spirit by clinging to hope. Others have to protect their insecurities by clinging to being right all along. Heck even those that thought they were rational have lost themselves already in this season. Our demons show their real colors in the challenging times. This season would be sad if it wasn't so magically entertaining. I feel pretty certain that I when I laugh at such an inappropriate time, I'm the most messed up and poorly adjusted individual in all of Steeler Nation.

But how can you not? No other response makes sense. We want to fix the unfixable. We have better ideas than the owners and coaches amidst our irrational reactions. Ben overthrows a receiver by 10 yards - Haley's fault. The offense turns the ball over 5 times, Dick's fault for not getting 6 turn overs of his own. Our tackles suck - let's trade Ben to AZ for some picks to get better tackles. And even the reactions that seem rational are no such thing. They're just subtle reactions that mask our insecurities. Our Steelers' addiction isn't rational. It's an escape from a great big ball of crap. It's an illusion to protect us from something deep and dark. And when the drug stops working what do you do? What choice do you have? You can let this stuff slowly give you heart disease or you can make it quick and jump off the Clemente or you can laugh. However you react, it's completely irrational. No matter how well adjusted you tell yourself that you are, you aren't. Its ok. None of us are. To really think about it is truly enlightening. The darkest moments are the only time it's easy to see the light.

It's in these times, I appreciate a guy like Mike Tomlin. No nonsense. So matter of fact. All the while Rome is burning down around him. Yet he continues to be calm. He has an opportunity to do what we all so desperately want to do - fix this hot mess. And just like us, it doesn't seem like he has any idea what to do either. And how could he? The Titanic is sinking and it's not like you can drain the ocean to keep the ship above water. But he presses on. And keeps it simple. And realizes all you can do is what you can do. Stay relaxed and we can save some of the people. And others will be lost by the wayside. It is what it is. We'll do what we can and carry on. No other choice. Even in the toughest of situations, heroic acts will emerge. And we'll probably look back on them with great reverence one day in the future. But today, while we're in the disaster, it's pretty hard to see them. If we could all be a little more like Mike, we might have a little more clarity.

So what's the point of this post? Well, there really isn't. There isn't much point in any of the posts today. Or yesterday. Or tomorrow. So I'll leave it at this. Thank you. Thank you Pittsburgh Steelers. Thank you Steeler Nation. Thank you life. For keeping me entertained. Life is a chase toward death. And for 3 hours a week, you make me forget about that chase. And the passion of Steeler Nation makes me forget about that chase for the rest of the week. No matter how bad things ever get, always remember it could be worse.

What's that saying - When life gives you lemons, laugh. Because life isn't real. And life couldn't give you lemons. You gotta buy your own darn lemons if you want lemons.

Now back to reality, 13-3 baby!!!!!! Let's roll mofos!!!!!!!!!!!!

Starter

User Info Menu

I'm still completely stuck on that whole "the standard is the standard" thing. I have no idea what that means anymore or if it ever really did mean anything. Kind of like saying "it's better to burn out than to fade away." Not a freaking clue.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Things have gotten so bad, all I can do is laugh at the Steelers, laugh at the fans, and laugh at myself. This season is literally a comedy of errors. Almost the instant we step on the field, something zany happens. A missed block, a turnover, a missed tackle, a brain fart, an argument on the sideline, and on and on. At first it feels a little unsettling, but once we get into the rhythm of mistakes, it truly becomes legendary comedy.

As fans our expectations are through the roof and rightfully so. When the team doesn't live up to those expectations, a violent melt down erupts inside. We want so badly to enjoy these moments of our lives, that we see a SuperBowl run coming in a 9 yard run. Only to realize on the very next play as linemen fall over their own feet and teammates that we're likely going to have a chance at our next franchise QB cause we're on the road to 0-16. Steeler Nation is schitzo. And it's understandable. It's a crowd mentality. We're all weak minded. Some of us have to protect our spirit by clinging to hope. Others have to protect their insecurities by clinging to being right all along. Heck even those that thought they were rational have lost themselves already in this season. Our demons show their real colors in the challenging times. This season would be sad if it wasn't so magically entertaining. I feel pretty certain that I when I laugh at such an inappropriate time, I'm the most messed up and poorly adjusted individual in all of Steeler Nation.

But how can you not? No other response makes sense. We want to fix the unfixable. We have better ideas than the owners and coaches amidst our irrational reactions. Ben overthrows a receiver by 10 yards - Haley's fault. The offense turns the ball over 5 times, Dick's fault for not getting 6 turn overs of his own. Our tackles suck - let's trade Ben to AZ for some picks to get better tackles. And even the reactions that seem rational are no such thing. They're just subtle reactions that mask our insecurities. Our Steelers' addiction isn't rational. It's an escape from a great big ball of crap. It's an illusion to protect us from something deep and dark. And when the drug stops working what do you do? What choice do you have? You can let this stuff slowly give you heart disease or you can make it quick and jump off the Clemente or you can laugh. However you react, it's completely irrational. No matter how well adjusted you tell yourself that you are, you aren't. Its ok. None of us are. To really think about it is truly enlightening. The darkest moments are the only time it's easy to see the light.

It's in these times, I appreciate a guy like Mike Tomlin. No nonsense. So matter of fact. All the while Rome is burning down around him. Yet he continues to be calm. He has an opportunity to do what we all so desperately want to do - fix this hot mess. And just like us, it doesn't seem like he has any idea what to do either. And how could he? The Titanic is sinking and it's not like you can drain the ocean to keep the ship above water. But he presses on. And keeps it simple. And realizes all you can do is what you can do. Stay relaxed and we can save some of the people. And others will be lost by the wayside. It is what it is. We'll do what we can and carry on. No other choice. Even in the toughest of situations, heroic acts will emerge. And we'll probably look back on them with great reverence one day in the future. But today, while we're in the disaster, it's pretty hard to see them. If we could all be a little more like Mike, we might have a little more clarity.

So what's the point of this post? Well, there really isn't. There isn't much point in any of the posts today. Or yesterday. Or tomorrow. So I'll leave it at this. Thank you. Thank you Pittsburgh Steelers. Thank you Steeler Nation. Thank you life. For keeping me entertained. Life is a chase toward death. And for 3 hours a week, you make me forget about that chase. And the passion of Steeler Nation makes me forget about that chase for the rest of the week. No matter how bad things ever get, always remember it could be worse.

What's that saying - When life gives you lemons, laugh. Because life isn't real. And life couldn't give you lemons. You gotta buy your own darn lemons if you want lemons.

Most rational post this season. And it was done by the phycho clown (BTW dude you must bring back the Mcdonald Joker, it is awesome).
    It is what it is people. You think BA fixes THIS mess? What is HIS record when Ben is having an off night, we lose the turnover battles by WIDE margins, receivers cant catch and the run game is THIS bad?

Flippy has got all of that rational stuff......THEN ENDS WITH 13-3.

You be CRAZY

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Notleadpoisoned View Post
    I'm still completely stuck on that whole "the standard is the standard" thing. I have no idea what that means anymore or if it ever really did mean anything. Kind of like saying "it's better to burn out than to fade away." Not a freaking clue.
    Actually, both cliches make perfect sense...

"The standard is the standard"...unfortunately, many of our players are not playing up to that standard...

The standard does not change...the player needs to rise to meet that expectation...

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Actually, both cliches make perfect sense...

"The standard is the standard"...unfortunately, many of our players are not playing up to that standard...

The standard does not change...the player needs to rise to meet that expectation...
    We have been be living up to the standard . The same standard that's been set since last year. The standard of poor coaching, poor execution, poor personnel decisions and most importantly........ the standard of losing.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    BTW dude you must bring back the Mcdonald Joker, it is awesome
    It's the link in my signature. But for some reason, the graphic doesn't show up anymore since the board got updated a while back. I don't know how to fix it.

Legend

User Info Menu

Well said. We are what we are. Time to rebuild.

"My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by OffensiveSwine View Post
    Haley fired Chan Gailey in 2009 because he wanted to run a spread offense, similar to the one we switched to in 1995.
    Speaking of Chan Gailey I heard that's he's currently unemployed and looking for work.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post

Flippy has got all of that rational stuff......THEN ENDS WITH 13-3.

You be CRAZY
    One man's crazy is another man's sanity. I prefer to think of myself as rationally optimistic.

In the context of life, is there really any purely rational emotion besides optimism? Think about that. And then tell me who be crazy.

Legend

User Info Menu

In the context of life, is there really any purely rational emotion besides optimism? ......
    I believe in this context the above line is supposed to include the expression "YOUNG GRASSHOPPER".

It can either precede or end the sentence.

As said "young grasshopper" my reply would be the equally sage: "whaaa?????"

Last edited by Captain Lemming; 09-23-2013 at 12:59 PM.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher