Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The defense

Legend

User Info Menu

Pretty happy with the overall play of the LB's & DB's so far. Vince Williams is making some rookie reads, but looks willing, and strong. The DL, however, is not doing their job consistently, and are hampering the rest of the Defense. Not enough push in pass rush to collapse a pocket & give the QB nowhere to escape the OLB rush, and not enough gap containment in run defense to let the ILB's make plays in the backfield. Too often we are seeing Timmons & Williams taking on an OG head on in the trash. And too often the QB simply has to step FORWARD toward the DL to avoid a sack from Wood or Jarvis Jones. McLendon & Hood are not holding up their end of the job & are holding the Steelers pass rush back. Troy is playing outstandingly. Clark is looking his age.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Darius Robinson DT
    2. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Mike Sainristil CB
    3. Beaux Limmer OC
    4. Jordan Travis QB
    6. Travis Glover OT
    7. Josh Proctor S

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelsnis View Post
    Tough for a defense to tee off and flat out blitz the QB when you're playing from behind the whole time. Offenses with a lead have a MASSIVE advantage.
    Yep. No need to press and create opportunities for TOs when you know the opponent isn't going to do diddly squat...

That being said, when Gay forced Jeffrey to fumble, the defense couldn't capitalize...

Conversely, with Ben's first fumble, Mike Adams hustled back to the ball and got knocked off of it by his teammate...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 7 UP View Post
    Defense didnt lose this game for us. Defense is the only thing preventing us from getting beat 45 to 10 weekly at this point.

Granted we dont create turnovers. Granted this isnt one of our best units. But they are keeping us in games we have no business being in based on how bad the offense is playing.

What defense is going to overcome that many turnovers? Name me one.
    No defense can overcome 5 turnovers. But do you know how they can give us a better chance? Force one themselves! godforbid, maybe two! Maybe if they could also come up with the turnover, we could occasionally change momentum (back) in our favor.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    No defense can overcome 5 turnovers. But do you know how they can give us a better chance? Force one themselves! godforbid, maybe two! Maybe if they could also come up with the turnover, we could occasionally change momentum (back) in our favor.
    How about sacking a QB a couple times early in a game and making him uncomfortable.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    How about sacking a QB a couple times early in a game and making him uncomfortable.
    You have to be able to win a 1-on-1 battle to get a sack. I don't think the Steelers have that player on the roster until Jarvis Jones gets more reps, it appears he will be able to win some 1-on-1 battles, but not right now.

Woodley didn't get a sack on a rookie RT last night, he had a couple pressures, but that's it. On the other hand, the Steelers young offensive linemen looked over matched at times.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

The O is 60% of the problem. They aren't holding up their end and it all starts with a Offensive Line that we ignored in the last draft going with the "hope and a prayer" approach that everything would just happen for our current group. Maybe it will by seasons end but I'm not seeeing it. They showed a graphic last night that our OL has the fewest number of combined starts than any OL in the entire NFL...and we wonder why we are struggling?

The defense is a problem too, they just look OK compared to the offense. However, the thing I have railed against for the past three years is smacking us in the face...the inability to sack the QB and create turnovers. It's not surpring however that the stability we bought ourselves over the past decade is now biting us as we are losing people and don't have bodies ready to step in and perform at the level required.
    85% this O played decent for 2 out of 12 quarters.

Legend

User Info Menu

Cutler was uncomfortable for a while but dammit... a fumble to start the 3rd quarter.. smh.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    Pretty happy with the overall play of the LB's & DB's so far. Vince Williams is making some rookie reads, but looks willing, and strong. The DL, however, is not doing their job consistently, and are hampering the rest of the Defense. Not enough push in pass rush to collapse a pocket & give the QB nowhere to escape the OLB rush, and not enough gap containment in run defense to let the ILB's make plays in the backfield. Too often we are seeing Timmons & Williams taking on an OG head on in the trash. And too often the QB simply has to step FORWARD toward the DL to avoid a sack from Wood or Jarvis Jones. McLendon & Hood are not holding up their end of the job & are holding the Steelers pass rush back. Troy is playing outstandingly. Clark is looking his age.
    You pretty much see what I see.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

The master of the "zone blitz" that is suppose to pressure QBs into mistakes and create turnovers has no answers.
    Speaking of which... what ever happened to that ILB cross blitz that we used to run?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

The O is 60% of the problem. They aren't holding up their end and it all starts with a Offensive Line that we ignored in the last draft going with the "hope and a prayer" approach that everything would just happen for our current group. Maybe it will by seasons end but I'm not seeeing it. They showed a graphic last night that our OL has the fewest number of combined starts than any OL in the entire NFL...and we wonder why we are struggling?

The defense is a problem too, they just look OK compared to the offense. However, the thing I have railed against for the past three years is smacking us in the face...the inability to sack the QB and create turnovers. It's not surpring however that the stability we bought ourselves over the past decade is now biting us as we are losing people and don't have bodies ready to step in and perform at the level required.
    the O is 100% of the problem. You can't turn the ball over. You can't go three and out over and over and over again. Ben needs to learn from guys like Cutler and Manning. Take what the defense gives you. Play SMART football. We don't get turnovers because our offense doesn't score enough points to make the other team feel like they need to throw the ball or play desperately. They just need short 20 yard drives to score td's.