Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23

Thread: The defense

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,631

    The defense

    All everyone ever seems to talk about is the offense. What about the defense? Zero turnovers. Again. When we needed them to step up for a key stop, Jay Cutler runs over Robert Golden like a little girl. (I wish "the Lake Effect" would teach him how to not get freight-trained by a QB.)

    Zero turnovers... After last week's performance of... zero turnovers. At least the offense came back from a putrid performance last week to show signs of life. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say we're going to go to London this week and get... zero turnovers.

  2. #2
    I wish the offense had zero turnovers...

  3. #3
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,565
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    All everyone ever seems to talk about is the offense. What about the defense? Zero turnovers. Again. When we needed them to step up for a key stop, Jay Cutler runs over Robert Golden like a little girl. (I wish "the Lake Effect" would teach him how to not get freight-trained by a QB.)

    Zero turnovers... After last week's performance of... zero turnovers. At least the offense came back from a putrid performance last week to show signs of life. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say we're going to go to London this week and get... zero turnovers.
    Culmination of a three year trend that this defense can't make a critical play happen at a critical time. The league knows exactly what to expect and they have adjusted. The master of the "zone blitz" that is suppose to pressure QBs into mistakes and create turnovers has no answers. The Bears started the game playing right to the script of how to beat the Steelers. Quick, high percentage short passes that take advantage the the big cushions the CBs give the WRs.

    I said it two years ago...we need a new Off Coord and Def Coord.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

  4. #4
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,631
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    The master of the "zone blitz" that is suppose to pressure QBs into mistakes and create turnovers has no answers.
    Speaking of which... what ever happened to that ILB cross blitz that we used to run?

  5. #5
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Tampa, Florida, United States
    Posts
    3,756
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    Speaking of which... what ever happened to that ILB cross blitz that we used to run?
    We ran it.. Mclendon ran himself out of the play and Forte ran 45 yards.
    because you know, mclendon is a gym class hero, and deserves to start.
    http://jeromiandbrittany.blogspot.com/

    Earn Some Bitcoins


    PBMining

    http://www.qoinpro.com/91f8fc96f7dfd461f6483ab3950deccc

    I am paying for my honeymoon using bitcoins.
    1PQsjF9rQqEWF8RfPzczyqCW6ULu1nZ3iu

  6. #6
    Zero turnovers and while he kept Marshall in check for nearly the entire game, Taylor gives up a big play when they could least afford it. We need new life on the coaching side of the defense - LeBeau's schemes are not working with this personnel. So many times last night Woodley was almost there, but that doesn't count. I don't think this D is fooling anyone and it doesn't seem like LeBeau can adapt. Something has been missing for a few years now - it's not an aberration. These guys don't scare anyone any longer and if you can't force TOs, you're not going to win a lot of games.

    The "comeback" was nice last night, but it was too big of a hole. You spend so much energy clawing back that things like the pass to Marshall happen. Sad to see, but if there's any doubt that our O and D need new coaches after these three games, then I'm not sure what it would take to get people to recognize it.

  7. #7
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,865
    The pass to Marshall was a killer.. but it was a great play. Those happen. I think the bigger problem is the "almost sacks" and the big running play we gave up to Forte.

    This O though... sorry, but this O isn't helping the D at all this year.

  8. #8
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,565
    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    The pass to Marshall was a killer.. but it was a great play. Those happen. I think the bigger problem is the "almost sacks" and the big running play we gave up to Forte.

    This O though... sorry, but this O isn't helping the D at all this year.
    The O is 60% of the problem. They aren't holding up their end and it all starts with a Offensive Line that we ignored in the last draft going with the "hope and a prayer" approach that everything would just happen for our current group. Maybe it will by seasons end but I'm not seeeing it. They showed a graphic last night that our OL has the fewest number of combined starts than any OL in the entire NFL...and we wonder why we are struggling?

    The defense is a problem too, they just look OK compared to the offense. However, the thing I have railed against for the past three years is smacking us in the face...the inability to sack the QB and create turnovers. It's not surpring however that the stability we bought ourselves over the past decade is now biting us as we are losing people and don't have bodies ready to step in and perform at the level required.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

  9. #9
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,865
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    The O is 60% of the problem. They aren't holding up their end and it all starts with a Offensive Line that we ignored in the last draft going with the "hope and a prayer" approach that everything would just happen for our current group. Maybe it will by seasons end but I'm not seeeing it. They showed a graphic last night that our OL has the fewest number of combined starts than any OL in the entire NFL...and we wonder why we are struggling?

    The defense is a problem too, they just look OK compared to the offense. However, the thing I have railed against for the past three years is smacking us in the face...the inability to sack the QB and create turnovers. It's not surpring however that the stability we bought ourselves over the past decade is now biting us as we are losing people and don't have bodies ready to step in and perform at the level required.
    85% this O played decent for 2 out of 12 quarters.

  10. #10
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Tampa, Florida, United States
    Posts
    3,756
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    The O is 60% of the problem. They aren't holding up their end and it all starts with a Offensive Line that we ignored in the last draft going with the "hope and a prayer" approach that everything would just happen for our current group. Maybe it will by seasons end but I'm not seeeing it. They showed a graphic last night that our OL has the fewest number of combined starts than any OL in the entire NFL...and we wonder why we are struggling?

    The defense is a problem too, they just look OK compared to the offense. However, the thing I have railed against for the past three years is smacking us in the face...the inability to sack the QB and create turnovers. It's not surpring however that the stability we bought ourselves over the past decade is now biting us as we are losing people and don't have bodies ready to step in and perform at the level required.
    the O is 100% of the problem. You can't turn the ball over. You can't go three and out over and over and over again. Ben needs to learn from guys like Cutler and Manning. Take what the defense gives you. Play SMART football. We don't get turnovers because our offense doesn't score enough points to make the other team feel like they need to throw the ball or play desperately. They just need short 20 yard drives to score td's.
    http://jeromiandbrittany.blogspot.com/

    Earn Some Bitcoins


    PBMining

    http://www.qoinpro.com/91f8fc96f7dfd461f6483ab3950deccc

    I am paying for my honeymoon using bitcoins.
    1PQsjF9rQqEWF8RfPzczyqCW6ULu1nZ3iu

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •