Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: That 70's Style Offense...

Rookie

User Info Menu

Or c), willing to make changes...

He made changes for Cincy, and more for Chicago...

The offense needs to execute better...especially the QB...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    Geesh, 4 yards short of having a 10 YPA and the Steelers lose by 18 points. 400 yards and a 10 YPA should translate to a win, can't turn it over, period, this team just sin't good enough to make up for those kinds of mistakes.

Pappy

Turnovers and the inability to make a critical stop on defense, aka execution on offense and defense, doomed us last night. Until we fix both it will be a long season.

Not quite time yet to start talking about the draft but if this continues it will be soon.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Turnovers and the inability to make a critical stop on defense doomed us last night. Until we fix both it will be a long season.

Not quite time yet to start talking about the draft but if this continues it will be soon.
    Well, I believe the percentage of 0-3 teams that have made the playoffs is about 12%. If they don't find a way to beat the Vikings and go 0-4 I'm fairly certain the percentage goes to zero or close to it, the draft could be right around the corner my friend.

Man, it's tough when you wait all off season for football and your team starts 0-3 and appears to have very little in the way of answers.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    Yeah, because 26 for 41 for 406 and a bunch of missed deep throws is just too conservative.
    17-0 with 8 minutes left in the first quarter...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    17-0 with 8 minutes left in the first quarter...
    Crash thanks for the suggestion pal. ESPN....Just got it up.

1st drive of the game went like this:

1st and 10 at PIT 20 F.Jones up the middle to PIT 31 for 11 yards (C.Conte).
    1st and 10 at PIT 31 B.Roethlisberger pass short middle to H.Miller to PIT 37 for 6 yards (Ja.Anderson).
    2nd and 4 at PIT 37 B.Roethlisberger sacked at PIT 28 for -9 yards (D.Williams). FUMBLES (D.Williams), touched at PIT 28, RECOVERED by CHI-

One run two pass plays second of which led to a turnover.

2nd Steeler drive
    1st and 10 at PIT 21 B.Roethlisberger pass incomplete deep right to H.Miller. Coverage by #55 Briggs.
    2nd and 10 at PIT 21 F.Jones up the middle to PIT 22 for 1 yard (L.Briggs; D.Williams).
    3rd and 9 at PIT 22 (Shotgun) B.Roethlisberger pass incomplete deep left to E.Sanders. Coverage by #33 Tillman.
    4th and 9 at PIT 22 (Punt formation) Z.Mesko punts 38 yards to CHI 40, Center-G.Warren, fair catch by D.Hester.

Two incomplete passes that had some distance, 1 run

3rd Steeler drive:
    1st and 10 at PIT 20 F.Jones right tackle to PIT 26 for 6 yards (M.Wright).
    2nd and 4 at PIT 26 B.Roethlisberger pass short left to A.Brown to PIT 44 for 18 yards (C.Tillman).
    1st and 10 at PIT 44 B.Roethlisberger pass short right to W.Johnson to PIT 49 for 5 yards (L.Briggs, S.McClellin).
    2nd and 5 at PIT 49 B.Roethlisberger sacked at PIT 40 for -9 yards (D.Williams).
    3rd and 14 at PIT 40 (Shotgun) B.Roethlisberger pass deep right to A.Brown to CHI 15 for 45 yards (C.Conte).
    1st and 10 at CHI 15 F.Jones right guard to CHI 7 for 8 yards (H.Melton).
    2nd and 2 at CHI 7 (No Huddle) B.Roethlisberger pass short left to E.Sanders to CHI 9 for -2 yards (C.Tillman).
    3rd and 4 at CHI 9 (Shotgun) B.Roethlisberger pass incomplete short middle to A.Brown.
    4th and 4 at CHI 9 (Field Goal formation) S.Suisham 27 yard field goal is GOOD, Center-G.Warren, Holder-Z.Mesko.

2 runs 6 pass plays- included is deep completion to Brown

Total of first 3 drives 11 pass plays (two of them sacks) 4 runs, several passes with good distance missed and a completed bomb.
    Passes were NOT all dink and dump types like Ben complained about last season.

This is how the game STARTED my friend

Outside of the very first drive of the Cincy game you saw THE EXACT SAME PATTERN. From the second drive of THAT GAME.

WE KNOW from Ben's own mouth that HIS INPUT has been factored into the playcalling.

The above shows it clearly.

It aint just the "situation" as Crash says.

The "dink and dunk" strategy of last year is no longer the focal point of this offense.

Ben HAS in fact been "respected" which is why unlike LAST YEAR Ben isnt snipping at Haley in the same passive agressive way.

We are doing what Ben LIKES to do.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 09-23-2013 at 01:36 PM.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Rookie

User Info Menu

When you're right, CL, you're right...

Haley made the necessary adjustments, so now the players, getting what they wanted, need to execute...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    When you're CL, you're right
    Fixed that, you had an extra "right" in there.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-

Legend

User Info Menu

Let me add, Hey Crash, why are you whining about ALL THOSE DEEP THROWS TO Sanders and Cotchry (points I AGREED WITH YOU ON BTW) if I'm NOT right that we ARE IN FACT throwing deep with regularity?

Dont blame Haley's "inflexible" style. He has changed to suit his QB.
    Dont believe me? Listen to Ben and watch the games.

TCFCLTC-

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by OffensiveSwine View Post
    Show me the quote.
    Crash, REALLY. You KNOW what Ben said.
    Here ya go:

[url]http://lmgtfy.com/?q=ben+communicating+with+haley[/url]

TCFCLTC-

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by OffensiveSwine View Post
    Ben's the good soldier. He won't badmouth people like Peyton.

I'm sure Ben was just thrilled with one chance to make a play on their first trip in the red zone.

You all got what you wanted: Ben put in his place and his buddy shown the door.

8-11.
    I agree, Ben is classy that way, takes ownership for his play and contribution to loses.
    I really respect that about him. Fanboi types can learn alot from him.
    But last year, he expressed frustration with the playcalling.......this year not a peep.

What is funny Crash is that WHEN YOU LISTEN TO BEN talk about HIS OWN play he sounds way more like me than he does you.
    That is because he evaluates HIMSELF honestly.

TCFCLTC-