Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: where the heck is Wheaton tonight?

Legend

User Info Menu

Wheaton also missed a ball on a crossing route that would had gotten a first down. It was slightly to his back shoulder but very catchable.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Wheaton also missed a ball on a crossing route that would had gotten a first down. It was slightly to his back shoulder but very catchable.
    It was high and well behind...though if he hadn't slipped on the famed Heinz turf, he ay have caught it...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    high behind and a heater... throw it in front of him and he probably runs for 30 more yards

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    I think BB's late INT showed why Wheaton hasn't seen the field more. I believe it was him. Looked like an option route & BB threw it where he should have been. Maybe we will hear something about it during the week. It looked like Wheaton made the wrong read and BB put it in front of the S since the S ran with Brown. Wheaton broke to the sideline when he should have settled in front of the S. Don't have playcall or info to go with it but my educated guess.

Just curious, as I know nothing about how they decide what route to break to - what about the play makes you think that Wheaton read it wrong and Ben correctly? Obviously it would be expected that Ben make less mistakes than Wheaton in that regard, but is there any key that shows one way or the other who messed it up?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by D Rock View Post
    Just curious, as I know nothing about how they decide what route to break to - what about the play makes you think that Wheaton read it wrong and Ben correctly? Obviously it would be expected that Ben make less mistakes than Wheaton in that regard, but is there any key that shows one way or the other who messed it up?
    I don't know the play & I can only assume because of it based on my fooball knowledge. WRs are given option routes in 2 minute and everyone has to be on the same page. They weren't on the same page. Maybe it wasn't an option route & BB thought that Wheaton was supposed to run the seam but I think that is unlikely. When the D knows the pass is coming (2 minute), option routes are more often than not deployed.

I did find a replay. It was Sanders running the fly & Wheaton was on the seam. Given the coverage which looked like a 2 deep umbrella (zone)...Sanders would clear out the high Safety and create a soft part of the zone behind the first line. If it was 2 Deep-Man Under...The corner route (which Wheaton Ran) would have been the right read because Sanders would have taken his CB with him deep and the sideline would have been open with the DB in trail. Given that this wasn't about down & distance but about clock management the D was protecting the sideline and giving the middle of the field. As you watch the play develop, the Safety was in a backpedal over the top of Sanders. Sanders CB released him and played deep 3rd to protect sideline. BB read the seam (Wheaton) underneath the Safety backpedalling because the CB was sitting in a zone at the sideline. If Wheaton continues down the seam he could have caught the ball right in front of that Safety.

We may find out more about it. Perhaps tunch will break that play down on Chalk Talk or BB may talk about it. He did talk about his first INT. He said he threw it earlier than he wanted because of a blitz up the middle and Cotchery didn't get out of his break to see it. Which made sense from what I saw as I mentioned. Throwing off his back foot told me he took the hit and threw fading back to buy Cotchery some more time to see the pass. It didn't happen.