Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: An observation on Mclendon

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

An observation on Mclendon

I have noticed that he picks a side and gets washed out every time. As a NT in a 3-4 you cannot pick a side. it works a small percentage of the time others... it leaves the middle of the defense open and makes an easy block for the center.

Legend

User Info Menu

He's not the player the Steelers thought they were getting. Can't hold his ground, gets moved too easily & doesn't create anywhere near as much pressure up the middle as claimed.

Better off playing Fangupo.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Devontez Walker WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    He's not the player the Steelers thought they were getting. Can't hold his ground, gets moved too easily & doesn't create anywhere near as much pressure up the middle as claimed.

Better off playing Fangupo.
    They really messed up letting T'amu go

Rookie

User Info Menu

On the other hand, he'd be an excellent 3-tech DT in. 4-3...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by birtikidis View Post

Not really. He didn't take advantage of his situation. The Steelers should have been preparing for Casey Hampton's end far earlier than they did. Over the last 5 years they could have picked up a mid round type & developed him, instead of drafting one & feeding him to the wolves.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    3. Devontez Walker WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by birtikidis View Post
    Disagree too. They chose to keep Fangupo, which indicates that Fangupo was the better option.

Re: McLendon. I can't really say (wasn't paying attention to him), but I will say he is not alone. Hood continues to get easily neutralized. But in any case, CHI didn't run roughshod over us. We have MANY more problems then McLendon.

Legend

User Info Menu

McClendon is an undrafted free agent out of a small school (Troy) who was cut and on and off the practice squad. The fact that he's starting is a testament to his hard work (and lack of foresight by the front office). He's never going to be Big Snack. But Hood is a waste. He's committing larceny when he gets his paycheck. It's time to let him walk and be a back up that sees minimal playing time for another team.

Legend

User Info Menu

Chadman has defended Hood over the last few years, but it's looking more & more like there isn't another step up & this is the best we'll get. If that is the case, he's simply not up to it. Better off playing Heyward who seems to push the pocket far more. McLendon being an undrafted FA doesn't make him any less the starting NT, nor should it make it ok that he can't do the job well enough. He might be much better value as a spot player. Teams are running on the Steelers too easily when they want or need to, and the front 3 are not collapsing the pocket enough to stop the QB from stepping up & away from the OLB rush on the outside. That pocket needs to collapse- that happens & Jarvis & Wood start getting more sacks. Saw about 4 missed sacks because Cutler was able to simply step forward into the pocket & avoid the rush.

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    3. Devontez Walker WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    Chadman has defended Hood over the last few years, but it's looking more & more like there isn't another step up & this is the best we'll get. If that is the case, he's simply not up to it. Better off playing Heyward who seems to push the pocket far more. McLendon being an undrafted FA doesn't make him any less the starting NT, nor should it make it ok that he can't do the job well enough. He might be much better value as a spot player. Teams are running on the Steelers too easily when they want or need to, and the front 3 are not collapsing the pocket enough to stop the QB from stepping up & away from the OLB rush on the outside. That pocket needs to collapse- that happens & Jarvis & Wood start getting more sacks. Saw about 4 missed sacks because Cutler was able to simply step forward into the pocket & avoid the rush.
    The Steelers lost this game due to the fact that Cutler got to run on 3rd and Long early in the 4th Quarter. I was at the game and he had A LOT of green grass ahead of him.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe View Post
    The Steelers lost this game due to the fact that Cutler got to run on 3rd and Long early in the 4th Quarter. I was at the game and he had A LOT of green grass ahead of him.
    That whole drive was a cluster F*** for the defense; they gave up three huge third downs after dominating the Bears for the previous 2 quarters. I can't for the life of me figure out how that happens, it's almost as if the pressure of the game gets to them. When the game appeared out of hand they dominated the Bears and allowed the offense to get the Steelers back in the game and then with the game on the line they stink it up bad, including Ike.

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount