Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Ben is one of the problems.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    I do not see that though Pap. His mistakes are not him doing too much. It is simple mechanics. The mistakes he's making are those of someone who is overmatched at that level. Now obviously, Ben isn't overmatched at the NFL level, but I think he is struggling to adjust to clearly declining physical ability. That doesn't mean he can't be Ben at times, but his struggles mirror the road Brett Favre took after that string of MVPs he had. Brett became a turnover waiting to happen, making silly, foolish-looking TO's much like Ben is now.

What Brett did is finally learn to adapt his game, learning to get the ball out quicker, and he had that resurgence at the end of his career. Ben can too, but he has to learn. It took Favre a few years... hopefully doesn't take Ben that long to realize.
    Except for the long one to Brown or Sanders I can't remember who was wide open, the balls Ben missed last night didn't need to be thrown more 12-15 yards, the offensive linemen are taking turns missing assignments and Ben can't even count on getting pressure from the same place when he drops back. The first thing he has to do is survey which of the linemen have missed a line call, blitz pickup, or just simply got beat, then he can begin going through the progressions. I'm not making excuses for him, but it is difficult to play quarterback when nothing is consistent including bad plays.

He also realizes at this point the success or failures of this team this year are going to ride on his shoulders. He clearly looked like a guy trying to make anything happen regardless of circumstance, there was never a thought of not trying to make a play, because the team was playing from behind all night. When you're losing and watching the clock tick away you begin to press and, IMO that's what happened. Ben felt like he had no choice but to make a throw even when a sack or incompletion may have been a better option.

Ben isn't on the decline yet, he's got plenty of football left in him, the team around him has been on the decline for a couple years and we're seeing the fruits of two completely failed drafts, retirement and age.

On a bright note, Polamalu was very, very good again last night, when he's healthy, he's an incredible football player.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

He is no more the problem then anyone else on this team..I've seen all the best QB's fumble or throw interceptions.....

Starts with Tomlin....

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    I agree with you about Manny. I share your bewilderment at what they see in him.

But do you notice the comment of mine you are responding to.

Does that look like a guy who hates Ben?

I just think he can grow. You act like he has no room for growth and excuse away his bad play.

There are many legit reasons for the struggles too. No fear of our run game whatsoever makes it harder. I believe some of the improvement was that we finally made a little noise running.

But Ben can get better. That is not hating, it is hopeful.
    Yeah.. not sure how the fans get the blame for that pick 6. I'm pretty sure the fans are used to seeing Ben get sacked...

I blamed Crotch for not turning around fast enough on that Pick 6... but the fans? LOL..

typical "Ben can do no wrong" excuses...

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sword View Post
    He is no more the problem then anyone else on this team..I've seen all the best QB's fumble or throw interceptions.....

Starts with Tomlin....
    Was Tomlin wearing #7 last night? That's who I saw making most of the mistakes. Not just in this game but all three games. No coach, OC, OL, WR, etc. can overcome a QB playing like bull-dung.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by OkieDokie

While the Steelers treat Ben like absolute crap. Ben's getting the ball out, he's tryint to avoid sacks as he's been told.

Watch the pick six. Perfect example. Saw the rush, and rather than get yelled at by ignorants for taking a sack, threw a poor pass with no footwork and got rid of it.

This is what Art wanted, he told the QB to tweak his game and not get hit.

And now we're seeing the results.

The have Seabiscuit pulling a farmer's plow.
    C'mon, man. Ben doesn't get to throw enough, the Steelers are treating him like crap. Ben has to throw too much, the Steelers are treating him like crap. Ben doesn't get to go no-huddle, he doesn't get to throw deep, he doesn't get to call his own plays, the Steelers are treating him like crap. Ben gets to go no-huddle and throw deep a bunch of times and call some of his own plays, the Steelers are treating him like crap.

It's way past getting stale, Crash.

There are a lot of problems with this team, and plenty of blame to go around--for players, coaches, management, and yes, even owners--but your QB (who is getting paid $100 million) can be careless with the football all night long and no blame should be assigned to him and no improvement expected from him?

Ben threw the pick because Art told him not to take a sack???

I've finally figured out who you are. . .Ben's mommy.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyPol View Post
    Ben's giving his owner what he wanted. Tweak his game, don't take sacks.

The comment was in response to the inaccurate opinions that Farve "adapted" his game.

He didn't. He led the NFL in picks in New York. Then he went to Minnesota and had Harvin, Rice, and Adrian Peterson in the huddle and all of the sudden he starts playing better.

You never tell a gunslinger not to fight. "Tweak your game" is the downfall of Ben Roethlisberger.

Because now, he's WORRIED about making mistakes.
    If anything, he didn't look worried ENOUGH about making mistakes...carrying the ball around like a loaf of bread...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Ben hit the deep ball to Brown because it was a broken play and AB was all alone out there. He was just about stopped in a spot, Ben threw it up, and AB went and chased it down.

Legend

User Info Menu

Absolutely, Ben is part of the problem. But EVERYTHING and EVERYBODY associated with the Black and Gold is part of the problem, and in the game of football there's no way everything can suck eggs except one part which shines bright.

The challenge is a management one in the classic business sense: What gets jettisoned, what gets kept, where are the limited resources best allocated to get the organization from here to there.

Trading Ben doesn't seem like the right way to go. Getting a few top notch O-linemen in return for him, to protect Grad (or bring back Willis!) seems Ludacris.

(I'm not in business management, but I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last night).

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by williar View Post
    Ahhh.. And the chickens finally come home to roost. Stevie Wonder could see that Ben is part of the problem!
    Hilarious!! This from the guy who once said he would take Cam Newton over Ben. Yes the same Cam Newton who is 14-21 as a starter, a 58.9% passer, and 31 INT's in 35 games played.

Only in Pittsburgh do fans say these things about a QB who has led their team to 2 Super Bowl wins. This has never ever happened anywhere else. Only in Pittsburgh.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by OffensiveSwine View Post
    Nobody said he wasn't part of the problem.

But he's not the biggest problem. Not even close.
    I do think his play is the biggest problem we have. Mainly because he's capable of overcoming all the other problems we have. If he makes all the plays he's capable of making, there's no reason this team couldn't be winning some games.

Not saying he's a bad player by any means. Our OTs and DLine are bad players. But I think Ben should be making plays to overcome the rest of the weaknesses on this team. We've seen him do it before and I don't understand why he isn't doing it now.