Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Can we stop with the we lose because "Art II is forcing us to run the ball"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sword View Post
    one more thing to add..Rooney said it himself....
    [URL]http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/rooney-wants-steelers-to-run-the-ball-more-228812/[/URL]
    No doubt Sword. And with us 31st in attempts no doubt he feels even MORE that way today. He is RIGHT.

But your contention, one that I take issue with is that because of this "2010" quote, we are being forced to run the ball which is why we are losing.

We have in fact ran the ball LESS since he made that quote than we ever have. Why? Because we are not good at running the ball and have no choice.

My issue with your contention is that you act like if we werent forced to run SO MUCH we could get things done passing. That some run mandate must be overridden by Tomlin for us to have success. What "I" am saying is that "despite" Rooneys statement we are not running the ball a whole lot. So what is Tomlin going to "fix" by having the lowest running teams in Steeler history, one that is 31st in rushing run even less?

What needed to happen to with that game was to "complete" more of those missed passing opportunities. There were plenty.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    running on the first 3 plays is running too much...
    That is absolutely correct Dizz, it made NO sense whatsoever. Trust me, I was all about to join the hater bandwagon had that continued. Nevertheless, we MORE THAN made up for that imbalance as the game went on to no avail.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-

Backup

User Info Menu

one more thing to add..Rooney said it himself....
    [url]http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/rooney-wants-steelers-to-run-the-ball-more-228812/[/url]
    I thought the defense blowing 4th quarter leads was the biggest issue in 2009.

As far as the running game goes, it was actually better under Arians than it has been under Haley. Funny how the guy that supposedly just let Ben sling it like the anti-Rooney had a better rushing attack than the guy who was the ballboy back in the 70's.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    No doubt Sword. And with us 31st in attempts no doubt he feels even MORE that way today. He is RIGHT.

But your contention, one that I take issue with is that because of this "2010" quote, we are being forced to run the ball which is why we are losing.

We have in fact ran the ball LESS since he made that quote than we ever have. Why? Because we are not good at running the ball and have no choice.

My issue with your contention is that you act like if we werent forced to run SO MUCH we could get things done passing. That some run mandate must be overridden by Tomlin for us to have success. What "I" am saying is that "despite" Rooneys statement we are not running the ball a whole lot. So what is Tomlin going to "fix" by having the lowest running teams in Steeler history, one that is 31st in rushing run even less?

What needed to happen to with that game was to "complete" more of those missed passing opportunities. There were plenty.
    Your putting words in my mouth .. "being forced to run the ball which is why we are losing"
    I'm trying to keep it pithy.......maybe it's my fault for not expanding my thoughts.

I believe, in my opinion the Rooney's told management \ Coaches , etc... that they want to get back to a run type of mind set.
    I'm not against the run but, since last year they seam to run at the wrong times or run to much and go no where...so predictable...

And I attribute the bad play calling to this mind set....

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post

Even as a loser of 2 games (i.e., you pass a LOT MORE), Ben is 22nd in pass attempts... I could argue all of your "plenty" stats are faulty based on raw numbers alone. if he's 22nd with INFLATED pass numbers due to hurry up at the end of games, then, jeez...
    Well, this one is easy...Ben is 22nd in pass attempts because we CAN'T SUSTAIN DRIVES...when you have as may 3-and-outs as the Steelers have had (even if you never ran the ball), you'd be down the list in number of pass attempts...

Legend

User Info Menu

Flippy WENT TO the scrimmages and raved about the receivers more than anybody.
    Thanks for remembering. Man does that raving sound silly right about now

But I do still believe in those guys - Brown, Manny, and Wheaton based on what I saw. And I really do think this team can get it together once we get Wheaton and Heath on the field. I think the big challenge for these guys right now is no one respects our running game or our TEs or Cotch in the slot. And Ben just needs to start playing better somehow.

I know it may sound crazy, but I still don't think this team is that far away from getting it together on offense. And I still think our WRs can be a big part of the success. I thought we might start out slow, but had no idea it could get this bad. It'll get better from here, I have no doubt.

Legend

User Info Menu

Your putting words in my mouth .. "being forced to run the ball which is why we are losing"
    I'm trying to keep it pithy.......maybe it's my fault for not expanding my thoughts.

I believe, in my opinion the Rooney's told management \ Coaches , etc... that they want to get back to a run type of mind set.
    I'm not against the run but, since last year they seam to run at the wrong times or run to much and go no where...so predictable...

And I attribute the bad play calling to this mind set....
    This is my point.
    What you saw on Monday was in NO WAY predictable, nor run-centric.

Even that first 3 downs. Run on third and long? that was not predictable

After that EVERY DRIVE we passed more than we ran.

We did not have a single predictable rb, rb, pass, punt. NOT ONCE all game.

Predictable runs?
    We had our best run of 14 yards after a sack put us at 3rd and 16.
    We fooled them on a 3rd down and 16 run which put us in fg range giving us our only lead of the game.

Predictable passing?
    1st AND GOAL AT THE ONE.
    We throw a pass to a rookie receiver for our touchdown on first down from the one.

WHEN HAVE YOU EVER SEEN A STEELER TEAM DO THAT?

Seriously my friend look closely. We are forming opinions of what went wrong Monday based on a quote from 2010.
    Check out this link to the play-by-play (you gotta scroll a bit):

[URL]http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201309160cin.htm[/URL]

Please look at the playcalling with an open mind you will be surprised at what you see.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 09-20-2013 at 03:59 PM.

TCFCLTC-

Legend

User Info Menu

I think the big challenge for these guys right now is no one respects our running game or our TEs or Cotch in the slot. And Ben just needs to start playing better somehow.
    Ding, ding, ding, we have a winner. I would add the oline, which impacts the rest.

I know it may sound crazy, but I still don't think this team is that far away from getting it together on offense. And I still think our WRs can be a big part of the success. I thought we might start out slow, but had no idea it could get this bad. It'll get better from here, I have no doubt.
    Yeah, Flippy I just stop at the first 5 words. The rest is just the proof.

Not feeling quite as positive here.

TCFCLTC-

Legend

User Info Menu

This is my point.

Predictable runs?
    We fooled them on a 3rd down and 16 run which put us in fg range giving us our only lead of the game.

Predictable passing?
    1st AND GOAL AT THE ONE.
    We throw a pass to a rookie receiver for our touchdown on first down from the one.

Seriously my friend look closely. We are forming opinions of what went wrong Monday based on a quote from 2010.

Please look at the playcalling with an open mind you will be surprised at what you see.
    The reverse to Crotchery was the only surprise IMO.

Running 3 straight times.. that wasn't shocking... it it was sad... but it damn sure wasn't shocking. I even said it out loud.. if he runs here then you know we are in for a long night.

I was surprised by the fade too...just because we rarely do it with a tall WR.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

This is my point.

Predictable runs?

Predictable passing?
    1st AND GOAL AT THE ONE.

I mostly meant last year we were so predictable..I agree there were several UN-predictable plays Monday night

Actually, I was begging the TV for them not to run but, to pass and take advantage of the great field position. worst play calling that I can possibly remember.

Agreed..But the wrong type of pass plays or poor execution on most of those.

1st AND GOAL AT THE ONE.

Agree.... Been awhile, was also yelling at the TV not to run and do the very thing they did do. They would have been stopped big time on first down if they ran....

I'm open minded.......Will go back and read when i get more time....

cheers :<)
    Last edited by Sword; 09-20-2013 at 04:43 PM.