Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Not good in Pittsburgh

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    Passion? He shows a lot more than Noll ever did.
    Noll wasn't qualified either. He didn't spit on his players. Plus what did he win without a franchise qb?

Legend

User Info Menu

I think there's a couple things going on here:

1. Drafting/FA - We're just not picking the right guys. We can blame Colbert. But how did he go from good to bad at drafting? I dunno. I do get the sense that we're more concerned about character than ever before. And we're shying away from the violent crazies we've brought in the past.

2. Goodell fining the attitude out of this team.

3. The change in owners since with II taking over leadership. I don't know what real impact this is having, but our slip has coincided with the old man going to Ireland. And I'm not sure it's not an important piece of the story.

4. The core group of players lack leadership. And this started back in Cowher's final season. These guys underachieved after winning XL. Why? Ben had his accident and something creeped into this team. We just seem to have this core of players that are super talented, but can lose interest/play down to the level of poor competition.

Somehow these negative things have creeped into the culture and added up to where we are now. I still think some talent is there and this thing can be fixed relatively quickly. And 90% of the answer comes down to Ben. I'd say it's a 50/50 share in responsibility between Mike and Ben at this point to get this thing on the right track.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    I think there's a couple things going on here:

1. Drafting/FA - We're just not picking the right guys. We can blame Colbert. But how did he go from good to bad at drafting? I dunno. I do get the sense that we're more concerned about character than ever before. And we're shying away from the violent crazies we've brought in the past.

2. Goodell fining the attitude out of this team.

3. The change in owners since with II taking over leadership. I don't know what real impact this is having, but our slip has coincided with the old man going to Ireland. And I'm not sure it's not an important piece of the story.

4. The core group of players lack leadership. And this started back in Cowher's final season. These guys underachieved after winning XL. Why? Ben had his accident and something creeped into this team. We just seem to have this core of players that are super talented, but can lose interest/play down to the level of poor competition.

Somehow these negative things have creeped into the culture and added up to where we are now. I still think some talent is there and this thing can be fixed relatively quickly. And 90% of the answer comes down to Ben. I'd say it's a 50/50 share in responsibility between Mike and Ben at this point to get this thing on the right track.
    I say 90 percent is number 1.

If most of our highly drafted offensive and defensive linemen do not pan out we have wasted a whole bunch of picks.
    We have a first and second rounders ac cross the board save for a no talent free agent who IS OUR MOST CONSISTENT player.
    We are HOPING Beachum starts? Pathetic.

Look at the success of Cincys picks compared to us in recent years.

I dont know if Colbert or Tomlin has the power here.
    An interesting possibility is that entrenched Cowher might have had the power with Colbert.
    If I were the Steelers I would lean that way.
    So Cowher might be responsible for the makeup of that team more than Colbert was but now Colbert is the entrenched guy.
    That would explain a decline even if Colbert makes the final call today.

Regardless the Rooneys know who is responsible, so if a move is made my guess is that who had final say in building this team will bear the burden if it continues south.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 09-20-2013 at 04:35 PM.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sword View Post
    Play calling and Game strategy is on the Coaches not talent ....
    Executing the plays, catching passes, blocking and ball security is on the players...

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Executing the plays, catching passes, blocking and ball security is on the players...
    Correct....Executing better , catching better , blocking better, Basics on ball security = more practice and more practice = Coaching responsibility....
    When you think the players have practiced enough ...wrong still not enough....

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    Isn't one of Timmons supposed stenghts his ability to cover? In week 1, we saw him get torched by another no-name TE.

Also, it would be nice to see him not moving backwards on a goal line run.
    You have to be trolling. You just have to be at this point. You're still doing this?

Literally waiting until Timmons might have been beaten on a specific play to point and say "SEEEEEE!!!! WE SHOULD HAVE DRAFTED POSLUSZNY!!!"

You're too good of a Steelers fan to be stuck on this point.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sword View Post
    Correct....Executing better , catching better , blocking better, Basics on ball security = more practice and more practice = Coaching responsibility....
    When you think the players have practiced enough ...wrong still not enough....
    The CBA only allows for so much though. Additionally, you can only ask guys like David Paulson to do so much. Young guys usually make more mistakes than vets anyway and we have a lot of younger guys out there. I'm confident they can get better, but it will take time.

Rookie

User Info Menu

One thing that has improved? Penalties...

Gilbert's was bogus an Woodley's was justified...

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    "Reportedly" How does "reportedly" hold up as evidence. That is an assumption but while Tomlin may offer an opinion, it is clear in the assignment of responsibilities that Colbert has 1.5 votes to Tomlin's 1 vote when it comes to the final say in personnel.

Rewatch the games, Timmons has not been attacking or blitzing much. Coach Dad has him dropping back into coverage more and more again. If you don't have the games watch this Sunday night how many times in a passing situation Timmons is being asked to cover someone versus being used to blitz and go after the QB.
    Let me clarify what the poster originally said....It's not reportedly. It's a fact.

Tomlin has a say in player personnel, coaching personnel, playcalling, etc. If he wants to change any of these, he has the power. Stop making excuses for the guy and face the fact that Tomlin's early success was greatly attributed to Cowher's players and the locker room leadership that guys like Keisel, Troy, Farrior, Aaron Smith, Hampton, Ben, Hines, Starks, etc provided. Most people could have stepped off the street and been successful running a team loaded with those type of players. As the players started to retire/leave, so did the talent (& leadership). Why can't people see this when the writing is on the wall?
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Backup

User Info Menu

While we're busy raking Mike Tomlin over hot coals for drafting Jason Worilds, can anybody tell me who wanted [URL="http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/J/JackAl23.htm"]this guy[/URL]?
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/DBR96/PGH061Asmall.jpg
    Pittsburgh, PA: City of Champions.