Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Tomlin needs to step up and...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    How long have you been watching football? You can't tell when playcalling and/or schemes get adjusted during a game? That explains a lot. You've made this claim before but I think your seriously underestimating some fans knowledge of football if you think they can't notice schematic & playcalling changes during games.
    We adjusted at halftime and gave up on the run pretty much like everybody wants. We scored ZERO as a result

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post
    On occasion, yes. As much as we've been doing it? Not the best use of the skillsets of the players we have. Maybe Wheaton is that deep threat that can get behind the defenders and open things up. The other three sure as heck aren't, and to keep trying to use them that way is an exercise in futility.
    Brad how are you and I the ONLY TWO who see all the deep throws?

My guess? Remember Ben and his "dink and dunk" comments last year?
    This offseason Ben is all excited about being given input?
    Any wonder we see deep passes that Ben prefers.

Interestingly DESPITE the speculation here, Ben seems MORE supportive of Haley than last year.

When everyone is waiting for him to dump on Haley, Ben clearly spoke of not pointing fingers after the last game. My guess, Ben's preference HAS BEEN IMPLEMENTED. Thus the deep throws.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 09-21-2013 at 12:23 AM.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

The offensive road is very curvy. One week we have a commitment to this and another week we try this. I was not a believer in the discord that so many of you have inferred. But with the way the offense is progressing, I cannot help but deduct that the offensive side of the ball is experiencing some grand canyon like communication drops. There seems to be a one-sided following of the leader. This leader is the QB and not the OC. Do you think this will work? Do you think the fractured leadership will work?? I do not. One voice, one vision, one directive. We heard the rumblings of AB getting in Haleys face. Does Big Ben have the Balls to do it and turn this keystone kops operation around??? I have been a Haley supporter from day one, but I am beginning to look in the other corner. Maybe the fit isn't so glove like. I am throwing my vote into a change of direction for the offense, one that utilizes our recent draft picks and eliminates the old fashioned play design that relies on slow footed but sure handed WRs to implement our stupid fu@%ing bubble screens.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    We adjusted at halftime and gave up on the run pretty much like everybody wants. We scored ZERO as a result
    Not true... I don't think anyone wants our offense to be one dimensional. Most want Felix Jones to get touches.... why the hell did he get ZERO touches after showing the ability to avoid tacklers for a first down? That definitely was unpredictable.

No one wants to give up on the run... just give up on running Redman....

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

He obviously has a high football acumen and seems to be a motivator of men.... but IMO he seems to lack the triage skills neccesary when things are going wrong. From our armchair vantage point it appears that he doesn't adjust or at the very least attempt to intervene at crucial points in the game. Other coaches when being followed by the sideline cameras look immersed in the game...as of late, when they show Tomlin he looks perplexed or a few steps behind what is actually happening.

Legend

User Info Menu

Whoa, hold on.

We have to remember this is a very young offense, the youngest we have seen since the early Cowher days. It's an offense that has not yet figured out their identity and yet we are expecting some smooth-oiled machine out there. The OL hasn't even played a quarter of a season together yet. The reason why it looks so disjointed and chaotic is that they don't know what works with the current players. Give them a chance to figure out what they do best. And for those that point to the end of last season as more evidence of poor planning I say look again. Nearly one half of the offensive playmakers have changed since that time.

Legend

User Info Menu

enuff with expecting tomlin to make a decision, he's still learning.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    How long have you been watching football? You can't tell when playcalling and/or schemes get adjusted during a game? That explains a lot. You've made this claim before but I think your seriously underestimating some fans knowledge of football if you think they can't notice schematic & playcalling changes during games.
    Please break down when the coaches made ALL the adjustments to the play calling and schemes since I haven't been watching football that long. I want you to pin point the exact moment the coaches made those adjustments. Was it when a certain player entered the game? When a certain play or formation was called? It's difficult to do on the fly without knowing the game plan or re-watching the game. Please tell me the Steelers game plan when they faced the Bengals. What defensive players and defensive schemes did the Steelers plan to attack? How did the Steelers adjust to the Bengals schemes and defensive personnel? What routes did the Steelers WR's run to attack the Bengals defensive schemes?

Keep in mind that most offenses run multiple formations and personnel packages.

One of the FEW adjustments that fans can see on TV without rewatching the game/game film is the help provided to the tackles in pass protection. MOST adjustments are difficult to ascertain with the limited view on TV, without knowing the game plan, and without rewatching the game.

The general sense that I get out of these "adjustment" discussions is the coaches didn't adjust when the team loses. What if it can be pointed out that the coaches adjusted but the players didn't execute? What if the coaches adjust but the players don't adjust and play well?

I'm a bigger proponent of execution over anything else. Adjustments don't work if the players don't execute. I stick to what I KNOW wins games 95% of the time.

When did the Steelers make their first play calling and offensive adjustments?
    Last edited by BURGH86STEEL; 09-22-2013 at 09:20 AM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post
    On occasion, yes. As much as we've been doing it? Not the best use of the skillsets of the players we have. Maybe Wheaton is that deep threat that can get behind the defenders and open things up. The other three sure as heck aren't, and to keep trying to use them that way is an exercise in futility.
    Ben loves to throw deep. I think they've throw 7 or 8 deep pass per game. I am not sure how many is to many per game. I do know they have to attack defenses vertically sometimes. They can only do it with the players they have. Wheaton will get his chance sooner or later.

It seems the offense is hurting without Wallace's presence.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Don't know how old you are, but Tomlin's demeanor on the sideline is very much like Noll's. Cowher was the only one who was an "attention whore" on the sideline hamming it up for the cameras.

It's also a different era in dealing with players than what Noll had to deal with.
    Hamming it up for the camera's? Come on now. You may not have liked him as a coach because he kept Ben under control, but the guy was a ball of fire, camera's or not.
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S